Black Chai Blend
Edit tea info Last updated by syrin

From Teapigs

Every vendor, in every city, in every region of India, offers their own version of Chai Masala, the aromatic, spiced, milky tea that has been the Indian drink of choice for hundreds of years. Here’s our version; a blended rich, malty Assam tea with cardamom pods, cinnamon, ginger and cassia. A satisfying, healthy drink that captures the vibrancy and colour of India in a cup.

About Teapigs View company

Many Thanks to Tea Sipper’s Traveling Tea Box for this tea!

I was Home Alone and had a Grand Plan to throw caution to the wind and drink a caffeinated tea in the evening so I could stay up and read The Hound of the Baskervilles late into the night under a blanket with my cat. Wild times. I made this one because I love chai :) and I had a single bag from TSTTB.

It was not the most distinctive chai I’ve ever had, but it was very good! There was nothing to dislike about it. Nice spices, nice tea base, good with a little honey and milk.

You know what happened though, don’t you? Yes, I fell asleep reading around 9pm, woke up at 2 am and tossed and turned because of the caffeine! This happens Every Time, yet every couple of months I do this thinking I’m going to stay up during the right part of the night rather than the wrong part of the night. Sigh.

gmathis

A Home Alone Reading Night sounds absolutely lovely. Sorry the timing wasn’t so great!

Tea Sipper

Yeah, I wish I was a better night-reader too! Baskervilles is the next Sherlock story I have to read.. eventually.

Shmiracles

i just sent my kindle two stories, The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor and His Last Bow. perhaps i’ll get some of my Sir Arthur Conan Doyle reading done too soon.

I had two bags left over, so I used both of them to make a huge cup of chai latte yesterday. I’ve started to develop a sore throat, maybe heading towards a cold, so the warming spices and comforting milkiness were just the thing. I went to see Propeller perform The Comedy of Errors last night — it was absolutely brilliant. I like to think this tea got me out of the door when it would have been much easier to stay at home. I’m seeing the same company perform A Midsummer Night’s Dream tonight — on the strength of last night, I’m really, really looking forward to it.

Thanks KittyLovesTea for sending this one! Somehow steeping at boiling for ten minutes, the flavor somehow still isn’t chai enough for me. It seems like there is a spice missing or something. The cinnamon definitely should have been more present, as I was seeing large pieces in the tea bag. I like the mix of black tea and spices, I just wish the flavor had been a bit sweeter or something. Not bad chai. just not the best.

Boiling 8 min or more

Thanks to kittylovestea for this lovely chai sample! First of all, LOVE the bags! Not your typical papery type, more mesh-y. They are very nice. And they’re clear, so you can see the ingredients quite nicely. Second, this tea smells so nice in the bag! I brewed this one a little on the strong side, then added milk and sugar for a more traditional chai, and I really enjoy it! It’s spicy, lots of ginger, but not so much that it’s overwhelming. It’s very nicely blended.

Tea #15 from the ’Here’s Hoping’ teabox.

This is a decent chai. All of the spices are there, and the base tea is ok. Given all of the amazing chais that are out there I doubt that I would order this one, but I certainly wouldn’t turn down a cup of it were offered to me.

This is a fine chai. Flavorful. I am a little surprised, though, that this is an Assam based tea, because it doesn’t taste as rich as Assam as I have come to know it. It is still very flavorful, but it tastes a little … thin. If I had been served this, I would have thought this was a decaf, because of the thinner taste and texture.

It is still very good though.

Thanks to TeaEqualsBliss for sending this one my way!

I had this at Parched Tea Bar earlier, and I thought it was a good (if pretty generic) tasting chai. I had it with milk and a little sugar. It was a little heavy on the ginger, but not unbearably so.

The last of my Teapigs tasting session for a while.

Colour: A wonderful golden red.
Smell: Spicy cinnamon with warming ginger.

This is one of the most subtle tasting Chai’s I have had, while noting the cinnamon and ginger flavours it’s very light and thin. It’s a pleasant every day chai and while it still has a nice flavour it’s just not as nice as other pre bagged chai’s on the market I have at home. The Assam is a little hard to detect as it usually leaves a bitter and rich after taste but the spices cover those up nicely.

I think I will stick with Teapigs chilli chai in the future.

Let me start this by saying: I don’t drink milk and I hardly ever put sugar on my tea, which means that I’ll never get the real taste of Chai tea. Still, I’ve tasted some Chai teas that were nice, and this spice blend from Tea Pigs is one of those. The taste doesn’t compare to the wonderful smell you get when you pick up the tea bag, but it’s a nice spice blend, perfect for wintery days (and sunny, warm fall afternoons like today). Paired with some lovely chocolate biscuits and the latest episode of Project Runway, it made for a good afternoon.

Scheherazade sent me this one. Chai is not really something I’ve ever been particularly fond of, although I’ve sometimes wondered what I’m missing out. The problem with chai is partly that they invariably contain ginger and cinnamon, neither of which are things I’m fond of in tea, but mostly a rather traumatic introduction to it at around age 10. I will tell you what happened.

As a child, I was a scout for many years. At around age 10 or so, my group got new leaders. These were two guys who were… Well. A bit hippie-y in some ways and very correct in other ways. These two traits came together in a common purpose whenever it was time for giving the children some sort of treat. Like when we were camping or the last meeting before the Christmas holidays or what have you. For a child age 10 or so, this sort of occasion is pretty much synonymous with hot chocolate.

BUT GOSH, NO! Hot chocolate, that’s full of sugar! And fat! Very bad for children! Also very very common and boring, let’s put our own personal Eastern spin on things.

Let’s give the children chai instead, what a good idea!

I think they even had their own spice blend for it. Dear scout leaders that I had at around age 10. No, it was not a good idea. It was in fact a totally rubbish idea. We, the children, drank your strange spicy concoction dutifully because it was that or nothing, but I’m willing to wager a rather large amount today that none of the children even knew what chai was and the vast majority of them would most likely much rather have had hot chocolate.

A couple of years later, when we got new leaders again the concept of chai for these special occasions went the way of the dodo right quickly.

So yes, I will definitely claim to have had a rather fraught and difficult introduction to chai in general.

I have never really warmed up to it, although I’ve tried again several times. Now Scheherazade is providing me with another go. It seems a fairly simple one. It has tea, cinnamon, cardamom, ginger and cassia, which is also some kind of cinnamon-y spice. So not a complicated one, just the base ingredients that I would associate with chai. It strikes me as being a very good starting point, really.

I made it with half milk and half water. I gave the cup of milk about 90 seconds in the microwave, put in the bag and filled up with boiling water. The milk makes it difficult for me to see when I think it’s done steeping, though. I’m not at all used to milk in tea, but I have learned this much in my adventures with chai; milk is essential.

It smells very nice indeed, actually! All cinnamon-y sweet, but not soapy and nostril-assaulting like cinnamon can sometimes be. Cinnamon sugar and rice porridge cooked with milk. This cup smells pretty much like Christmas.

It tastes quite mild and milky. Possibly I should have used more water and less milk? I plopped the bag back in while drinking though, to see if I could get it to be a bit stronger. I can’t pick up anything in the way of a base here at all, which I’m rather missing. This doesn’t really feel like I’m drinking tea at all. It’s more like warm milk with spices, which in itself is actually also quite nice, but not really what I was hoping for.

The spices are tempered by the milk and not even the ginger is bothering me in this. Ginger is usually my downfall because I don’t much care for the burning sensation. This is a chai that I could actually drink because it’s so mild and unassuming. A true chai fan might find it a bit dull though.

Courtney

I’m working on chai too, but specifically coconut chais to try and avoid milk hah.

xhado123

You were a scout as well? What rank did you achieve?

Angrboda

We don’t do ranks in Denmark. All the children are equal, but divided up in patrols. Teams, really, but we call them patrols. We were perhaps 25 children, divided into four patrols with five or six children in each. The closest you come to rank as such would be the patrol leader and the patrol assistant. The leader’s job is largely to be the spokesperson for the patrol, like during role-call for example, the leader will say how many members are present and who is missing, and the assistant steps in if the leader isn’t there. Most of the time, for meetings, there would be some activities for all the children or to be done in teams (patrols). Older children have meetings mostly only with their own patrol and decide their own activities and then the whole group only once a month.

Angrboda

I was a member for about ten years or so, I think.

xhado123

We used the patrol method as well. It was core to Baden Powell’s ideals for scouting. I felt the ranking system developed incentive to improve, but I know such things are not for everyone. 25 is a healthy troop size, mine hovered around 12-20. It’s nice to belong to an organization that allows me to connect with people around the world. Well met.

xhado123

I should also state that I am from the US.

Angrboda

25 was an estimate, though. Children are divided up according to age, so the number was variable. I think on average that was about how many we were.