Popcorn Tea

Green Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by David McGeorge

• “Also managed to fit in one of these at work. I’m not sure what the base tea is here, although it’s fairly similar in taste to the Mao Feng I also drank today. I don’t think...” Read full tasting note
    Scheherazade 1266 tasting notes
  • “Has an subtle nutty flavour to it almost an after taste, can’t quite place it but you know its making your tea taste better. You know the way you can taste the difference between chocolate...” Read full tasting note
    davymacca 83 tasting notes
  • “I was pleasantly surprised by this tea! I steeped it for 5 minutes and 30 seconds instead of the recommended 3 minutes. The first thing I noticed was the smell, which was horrible. Really really...” Read full tasting note
    Pandesme 37 tasting notes
  • “Oh my god, this tea is delicious! An unexpected revelation! It’s got a nutty, corn-like aftertaste that is absolutely delicious! I’m not usually a big green tea fan, but this...” Read full tasting note
    Lulu123 6 tasting notes

From Teapigs

Green tea with a popcorny, almost nutty undertone. Louise describes this as “Sugar Puffs in a cup” – truly unique

Try it:
Pure and unadorned, unless you have a really sweet tooth.

Good if you’re feeling:
In need of a treat. As indulgent as a cinema ticket, but without the violence and naughty language, this sweet green tea will lift your spirits.

About Teapigs View company

Also managed to fit in one of these at work. I’m not sure what the base tea is here, although it’s fairly similar in taste to the Mao Feng I also drank today. I don’t think I’ve ever tried them side by side before, so maybe that’s why I’ve never noticed the similarity. Anyway, the rice here adds a delicious nutty, toasted note. It can verge on the astringent, burnt tasting side if overbrewed, so I was careful to pay attention and was rewarded with a pretty perfect cup of genmaicha. Not something I’d keep around all the time, but definitely nice to revisit!

You know the way you can taste the difference between chocolate spread with hazelnuts and just regular chocolate spread.

Yes this is the hazelnut chocolate spread of green tea.

S

Is this genmaicha or something else? The “sugar puffs” description in the tea info reminds me of Auggy and takgoti’s reviews of soba-cha.

But anyway, mmm, popcorn….

TeaEqualsBliss

I sooooo want to try this!

EvaPeva

that would be clever Shanti. . . .turning the Genmaicha into a popcorn “feel”. ya, now you made me curious too!

David McGeorge

I just updated the image of this tea. I think Genmaicha and popcorn tea are the same thing maybe?

The tea looks great. It has both the brown popcorn kernels in but some are puffed up like real popcorn.

EvaPeva

ah neat! didn’t know.

TeaEqualsBliss

I thought it was actual popcorn! I just googled it and ended up at that same site! I’d still try it, sure! :P I’ve had a few others with the puffed rice in them! Neat!

I was pleasantly surprised by this tea! I steeped it for 5 minutes and 30 seconds instead of the recommended 3 minutes. The first thing I noticed was the smell, which was horrible. Really really horrible. I almost didn’t drink it, but decided to anyways because I hate things going to waste. And I’m glad I did! Because it tasted MUCH better then it smelt. Genmaicha is one of my all time favorite types of tea, and I find this one particularly enjoyable because it tastes different then most of my other genmaicha teas. I know other people have said that it tastes a bit sweet, but personally I didn’t taste any sweetness. That might be because of how long I steeped it though. I loved the nutty undertone. Overall a very enjoyable tea, I’ve already had five cups of it today. I’ll definitely be repurchasing this one.

Oh my god, this tea is delicious! An unexpected revelation!

It’s got a nutty, corn-like aftertaste that is absolutely delicious! I’m not usually a big green tea fan, but this had just the right strength and balance for me. It smells like plain popcorn too!

I found three-four minutes to be my ideal steep time, to bring out the real rich flavours of this tea. I’ve finished up my supply at the moment so I’m going to have to rush out for more! Too delicious for words.

I love this tea. Fresh but nutty and a little malty. Definitely getting more.

Edit: Argh. Teapigs, you evil bastards, why can’t I buy this as loose tea now?

Sipdown!! (185)

Try all the genmaichas!! This one isn’t bad. The rice is toasty and flavorful which makes for a nice cup. Right at the end, the green base, which is sorta vegetal slips in to remind you it is there. Definitely a nice take genmaicha. Thank you Nattie for the chance to try this tea!

Recently sipped down, and now back in my cupboard thanks to my aunt and uncle! They bought me four Teapigs teas for Christmas, of which this was one.

The instructions on the packaging say to brew at boiling, but I ignored that and went for 80 as I have grown less fond of green teas recently, and higher temperatures usually lead to unwanted astringency. For the second time tonight, lowering the temperature of a tea was a good call! The popped rice is the focus of the flavour this way, with the mellow green tea present mainly in the background. And I don’t mind it! My mam, who actively dislikes the majority of my teas, agreed to try this after smelling it and even seemed open to me leaving her a couple of bags! Big success. I think this was my favourite way having this tea too, and I will likely follow these steeping parameters in the future.

Red Fennekin

80-85 is normally my preference for these teas, particularly for Teapigs greens. It really brings out the best in them :-)

Nattie