Popcorn Tea

Green Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by David McGeorge

• “Also managed to fit in one of these at work. I'm not sure what the base tea is here, although it's fairly similar in taste to the Mao Feng I also drank today. I don't think I've ever tried them...” Read full tasting note
    Scheherazade 970 tasting notes
  • “Has an subtle nutty flavour to it almost an after taste, can't quite place it but you know its making your tea taste better. You know the way you can taste the difference between chocolate spread...” Read full tasting note
    davymacca 83 tasting notes
  • “I was pleasantly surprised by this tea! I steeped it for 5 minutes and 30 seconds instead of the recommended 3 minutes. The first thing I noticed was the smell, which was horrible. Really really...” Read full tasting note
    Pandesme 37 tasting notes
  • “Oh my god, this tea is delicious! An unexpected revelation! It's got a nutty, corn-like aftertaste that is absolutely delicious! I'm not usually a big green tea fan, but this had just the right...” Read full tasting note
    Lulu123 6 tasting notes

From Teapigs

Green tea with a popcorny, almost nutty undertone. Louise describes this as “Sugar Puffs in a cup” – truly unique

Try it:
Pure and unadorned, unless you have a really sweet tooth.

Good if you’re feeling:
In need of a treat. As indulgent as a cinema ticket, but without the violence and naughty language, this sweet green tea will lift your spirits.

About Teapigs View company

Also managed to fit in one of these at work. I’m not sure what the base tea is here, although it’s fairly similar in taste to the Mao Feng I also drank today. I don’t think I’ve ever tried them side by side before, so maybe that’s why I’ve never noticed the similarity. Anyway, the rice here adds a delicious nutty, toasted note. It can verge on the astringent, burnt tasting side if overbrewed, so I was careful to pay attention and was rewarded with a pretty perfect cup of genmaicha. Not something I’d keep around all the time, but definitely nice to revisit!

Has an subtle nutty flavour to it almost an after taste, can’t quite place it but you know its making your tea taste better.

You know the way you can taste the difference between chocolate spread with hazelnuts and just regular chocolate spread.

Yes this is the hazelnut chocolate spread of green tea.

S

Is this genmaicha or something else? The “sugar puffs” description in the tea info reminds me of Auggy and takgoti’s reviews of soba-cha.

But anyway, mmm, popcorn….

TeaEqualsBliss

I sooooo want to try this!

EvaPeva

that would be clever Shanti. . . .turning the Genmaicha into a popcorn “feel”. ya, now you made me curious too!

David McGeorge

I just updated the image of this tea. I think Genmaicha and popcorn tea are the same thing maybe?

The tea looks great. It has both the brown popcorn kernels in but some are puffed up like real popcorn.

EvaPeva

ah neat! didn’t know.

TeaEqualsBliss

I thought it was actual popcorn! I just googled it and ended up at that same site! I’d still try it, sure! :P I’ve had a few others with the puffed rice in them! Neat!

I was pleasantly surprised by this tea! I steeped it for 5 minutes and 30 seconds instead of the recommended 3 minutes. The first thing I noticed was the smell, which was horrible. Really really horrible. I almost didn’t drink it, but decided to anyways because I hate things going to waste. And I’m glad I did! Because it tasted MUCH better then it smelt. Genmaicha is one of my all time favorite types of tea, and I find this one particularly enjoyable because it tastes different then most of my other genmaicha teas. I know other people have said that it tastes a bit sweet, but personally I didn’t taste any sweetness. That might be because of how long I steeped it though. I loved the nutty undertone. Overall a very enjoyable tea, I’ve already had five cups of it today. I’ll definitely be repurchasing this one.

Oh my god, this tea is delicious! An unexpected revelation!

It’s got a nutty, corn-like aftertaste that is absolutely delicious! I’m not usually a big green tea fan, but this had just the right strength and balance for me. It smells like plain popcorn too!

I found three-four minutes to be my ideal steep time, to bring out the real rich flavours of this tea. I’ve finished up my supply at the moment so I’m going to have to rush out for more! Too delicious for words.

I love this tea. Fresh but nutty and a little malty. Definitely getting more.

Edit: Argh. Teapigs, you evil bastards, why can’t I buy this as loose tea now?

1928 tasting notes

Sipdown!! (185)

Try all the genmaichas!! This one isn’t bad. The rice is toasty and flavorful which makes for a nice cup. Right at the end, the green base, which is sorta vegetal slips in to remind you it is there. Definitely a nice take genmaicha. Thank you Nattie for the chance to try this tea!

This is my first time trying a genmaicha, and I am very much looking forward to trying and comparing Kittylovestea ’s genmaicha from the Traveling Tea Box when it gets to me! (:

At first, I did not care for this at all. It both smelled and tasted exactly like a toasted rice cereal (I can’t think why…) from my childhood, which I absolutely hated. The smell was bugging me because it reminded me so much of something that I couldn’t place, and as soon as I first sipped it I figured it out. Blech. Only the reason I didn’t like the cereal was that it was just toasted rice, with no additional flavours and no sweetness. It was just so bland. This tea is different, though – grassy, deep green tea flavour with the toasted rice background adding a lovely warmth to it, and an almost floral aftertaste which I can detect, too. I don’t think it was the flavour of the toasted rice in itself that I didn’t like, because I like it just fine in this.

If anything, I would have preferred a little more green tea, as it wasn’t too strong a flavour and in the bag, there was roughly a 50/50 split between tea and rice.

Overall, I enjoyed this as a pleasant lunchtime tea, although I could tell it was rice rather than corn, and wouldn’t market it as ‘popcorn’ tea as I think it is a little misleading, and doesn’t actually taste much like popcorn. It grew on me throughout the cup, and by the end I was wishing I had a couple more bags. I can’t wait for the TTB to try the version Kitty has made!