Tung Ting Blue Tea

Oolong Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Jillian

From Teapigs

Tung ting blue tea comes from Taiwan and takes its name from the mountainous region where it is grown. Oolong tea (also known as blue tea) is a part fermented tea, and tung ting is regarded by those who know about this kind of thing (us included) as one of the finest around. We’re very proud to be able to offer a genuine oolong tea, as these teas are mostly sold to the local Taiwanese at hundreds of dollars – a bit more pricey than your average cuppa, but worth every penny.

About Teapigs View company

I’m going to be brave and give this a try today. The first time I tried it, which was a good few years ago now, I could hardly finish the cup. This kind of oolong still isn’t really my thing, but it came with a gift pack (the ultimate, no less) so I feel I really ought to give it a second chance.

The dry leaves in the packet give off that typical oolong scent — kind of earthy and slightly mineral. It’s a scent that used to turn my stomach, but I understand it a bit more now. I gave it three minutes in water I’d let cool a little, and the liquor is now a pale yellow. It smells the same as it does dry, which isn’t hugely encouraging considering I’m very picky about oolongs. It’s this exact scent that I dislike, yet it’s hard to accurately describe. Adagio Wuyi Oolong was the same, and I had to ditch the rest of my sample of that as I just couldn’t face it.

I shouldn’t judge before I’ve tried, though. The first sip isn’t too bad. Maybe because I’ve gone lightly with the brew time and temparature, or maybe just because it’s a more delicate tasting tea than I was expecting. It has a faint mineral taste, and a more prominent grassiness, rather like a mild green tea. I can’t exactly claim to like it, but it’s okay. I’ll be able to finish this cup, and the rest of the box, anyway.

I think my relationship with oolong is going to be a bit hit and miss. I loved the milk oolong I tried, and I’ve got a couple more of those in my stash to try now. The idea of flavoured oolong appeals, too, and the same goes for those. I would like to determine what my preferences are when it comes to oolong, so I’m going to keep trying. While drinkable, though, this clearly isn’t it.

Sweet, Mouthwatering, Thirst-Quenching Goodness…in a bag…YUM

Peggie Bennett

That is a fun name!

Is it just me or is Tung Ting Oolong Tea super fun to say? :)

Colour: Pale golden yellow
Smell: Subtly floral

I have to be in the right frame of mind to drink Oolong as it’s very subtle in flavour and I am usually a strong tasting tea kinda gal. A nice Oolong tea has enough flavour to be magical and this is one of those times. It tastes light, buttery, floral and gentle yet bitterly earthy (in the same way as a green tea). Each sip changes flavours as it goes down whilst leaving your thirst quenched and your mouth asking for more.

If you have not tried many/any Oolongs before then sometimes the extremely gentleness in flavour and body may be off putting at first but overtime you want a tea that will not be too heavy in your stomach and is as refreshing as drinking a cup of water. That’s where this little beauty comes in handy as that ‘something different’ that you have been craving. I would also say that this is a nice brand to start off trying so you can get a good idea of what a nice Oolong tastes like.

Overall: Refreshing, gentle, light, floral and oh so Tung Ting yummy.

Pleasant and mellow but a tad tasteless to me, but then I am new to Oolong and only began drinking it last week.

Good flavour, balanced quite earthy but in a good way.