Chocolate Flake Tea

Edit tea info Last updated by TeaEqualsBliss

From Teapigs

About this tea:

When we think about how many times we’ve dunked chocolate biscuits into cups of tea it’s surprising no-one else has ever thought of this before. Tea and chocolate. Together. In one cup. A partnership so perfect, it belongs between the pages of a Mills and Boon novel.

naturally contains caffeine

Compare the large leaf in our tea temples to the dust in your regular tea bag; whole leaf is best.

Taste:
Not sickly sweet hot chocolate, a far more sophisticated tea and chocolate combo.

Try it:
With milk. Or maybe a little cream?

Good if you’re feeling:
Difficult to please, you know, when you want everything and you want it now, like wanting the taste of chocolate but without the calories?

To buy our chocolate flake tea online, select the quantity of temple teas you would like and then add to basket.

Ingredients:
Black tea, chocolat chips (sugar, cacao, emulsifier soya lecithin), cocao beans, flavouring.

Brewing Instructions:
One tea temple per person, infused in boiling water for at least 3 minutes. Don’t rush – just relax and watch the leaves unfurl and the chocolate melt.

About Teapigs View company

I have tried this tea so many times, always in single serving sachets, and never gotten around to reviewing it for reasons unknown. Now that I have an official sipdown box, and have put it in my kitchen right next to the kettle, I am far more inclined to go for the teas I need to get rid of over the favourites I seem to keep going back to. This was right on the top, and as it was my final serving (I don’t plan on buying more), I guess the time has come to review it!

I actually drank this a couple of days ago, so the note will probably not be too detailed. It wasn’t really that complex to begin with, though, so I don’t think it will be too affected.

Each time I try this tea, I convince myself that this time I will be able to taste the chocolate, and each time, I am wrong. I have tried different steeping times, different amounts of water, different additives and even used two bags on one occassion. I have had it prepared in-store and I still couldn’t taste any chocolate! The Tea Pigs black tea base is fairly pleasant, with little astringency, so I can drink the cup easily enough. It smells sweet when brewing, and actually reminds me of cocoa butter rather than cocoa itself. The taste also reminds me of cocoa butter, perhaps a little more vanilla than chocolate. I have found it to taste pretty similar no matter how I drink it, and the additives don’t really seem to alter the flavour much. A pretty average tea, disappointing if you are expecting chocolatey chocolate.

Sipdown! (2/174)
I have a long way to go…

EDIT: I’ve just realised that this is my 50th tasting note! Wooo! If only it were a more positive one ):

A friend gave me this tea and I’ve been working my way through it. It’s not as subtle as I normally like my tea – it really only has one level of flavor, which is strong and dark. The chocolate is there but it mixes with the black tea. It’s an okay tea but not one I will be in a hurry to buy after I finish my supply. It is caffeinated though, which is all I really need in the mornings some days.

This may be better as a latte with milk and whipped cream on top.

2086 tasting notes

Sipdown!! (188)

Thank you Nattie for the chance to try my very first Teapigs tea. Unfortunately I am not loving this one. It seems artificial and thin. I am grateful for getting to try it but I am not sad to see it go.

I was disappointed by this tea. After reading some of the other comments about it, maybe I didn’t steep it for long enough. For me, and I do have an extreme sweet tooth, the taste really wasn’t that chocolatey. I will try it again and steep it for longer, but my first impression wasn’t brilliant. The taste of the tea itself was delicious and I did add milk, which improved it slightly. I was tempted to add a sweetener in it to see if it made a difference and maybe in my next cup I will try that. It’s definitely worth a try, it just didn’t taste how I expected it to.

Tried it, but not for me! Sorry!

A good black tea, best enjoyed with milk. Doesn’t massively taste like chocolate so its not too sickly. Great to dunk ginger biscuits in.