Mao Feng Green Tea

Green Tea
Artichoke, Butter, Grass, Metallic, Peach, Smoke, Fishy, Grass Seed, Seaweed
Edit tea info Last updated by Jillian

From Teapigs

Pure, delicate green tea from the misty hills of the Mao Feng region. Prompting hints of peach, apricot and fresh summer days when drinking

About Teapigs View company

Drank my two teabags of this at work today. It’s been a busy and fustrating day pretty much in equal measure, so I didn’t get chance to drink a lot. I’m trying to change that — I don’t do myself any favours by becoming dehydrated and headachey — but it all went out of the window with my plans today. Still, I managed two cups of this, so things could be worse. It’s a fairly pleasant green, smooth and very grassy. It’s not the tea I remember from the first time I tried it, but it’s pretty good all the same. Easy to drink, refreshing, and fuss-free because it’s bagged. Just the thing today.

Fresh! Summery. Green sweet but a little grassy, too…not bad! Would have again!

The last tea from my Tea Pig tasting session today. This was a lovely golden colour when brewed and smelled very fresh.
It was a nice green tea but was rather bitter after a while and it just got stronger and stronger, perhaps next time I shall do a faster steeping to see if that fixes the problem.
Overall it’s an average green tea, perfect for every day use but not for those special moments. This tea just isn’t for me.

TeaBrat

Have you tried steeping it at a lower temperature? I usually do mine at 170 – 180 F which cuts down on the bitterness.

KittyLovesTea

When I do my other green tea’s I always use warm water instead of boiling but my husband made this one so I didn’t have a choice lol. You are right though it may help to reduce the bitterness, I will try it tomorrow. I just checked the Tea Pigs website as well and they said to use boiling water :/

Very drinkable. It lacks the depth of some other green teas but is perfect for everyday drinking.

As with many green teas, can be bitter and a little dry, however with a few cups, can be praised over for its light taste and refreshing, earthy scent. Good for a quick wake-up, (leaves have good character too and are fun to watch unfurling).

My favourite green tea by far!

Not a tea bath.

I finally bought a travel mug type thing to replace the one that accidentally got thrown out at work a few months back. Don’t worry, it wasn’t one of my really nice DAVIDsTEA ones or anything: it’s just one of those coffee type ones that doesn’t keep my tea boiling hot for five fucking hours, that way I can drink something on the commute to work. Which is what I did with this one. I quite enjoyed it; everyone knows I’m not a big green tea fan but I could see myself drinking this almost as equally as I’m using it for tea baths.

The first thing I noticed about this was that it has a whisp of a smoke note to it. It’s subtle, all things considered, but definitely one of the top notes. The rest of the flavour was a pretty nice buttery artichoke kind of flavour complimented with a grassy tone. I definitely don’t get the marine-like notes commonly associated with Japanese greens; this is very much a typical Chinese green. Additional things I noticed were a very light peach note, but only after the tea had significantly cooled down. I found that the hotter this was the more I picked up on the smoke notes and artichoke qualities. Anyway; I enjoyed it overall. It’s pretty good for grocery store green tea, albeit more high end grocery store green tea.

I bet it would make a good soup stock…

Flavors: Artichoke, Butter, Grass, Metallic, Peach, Smoke

Mookit

Glad you liked it! One of my favourite green teas that I drink a work. :) I agree that it’s one of the better grocery store teas!

Kristal

Green tea as soup stock? hmm, that would work well in veggie soups :)

Roswell Strange

I’ve done it before in my Sommelier course with Genmaicha; it wasn’t awful but it wasn’t great either. I definitely think this would be better.

I really didn’t enjoy this tea unfortunately. I didn’t like the taste or aroma which was somewhat fishy. Further, I steeped for only 2 minutes and it became really bitter. I prefer my green tea smooth.

Flavors: Fishy, Grass

Worthwhile! Tear the sachet open, though, and infuse it in a basket. The sachets are too small, especially for the second infusion. Steeped just off the boil per package directions.

3 min, 0 sec 16 OZ / 473 ML

Drinking this one at work. Really pleased with the hearty vegetal body and slightly tangy aftertaste. Strong and plain green teas are one of my favourite types! Smells lovely and grassy while brewing, I would say like dry mowed grass on a hot summer day. Light greenish yellow when brewed. Very delightful.