Mao Feng Green Tea

Green Tea
Grass, Green, Metallic, Seaweed, Floral, Apple, Fruity, Peach, Artichoke, Butter, Smoke, Fishy, Grass Seed
Edit tea info Last updated by Jillian
185 °F / 85 °C 2 min, 30 sec 3 g 68 oz / 2014 ml

From Teapigs

Pure, delicate green tea from the misty hills of the Mao Feng region. Prompting hints of peach, apricot and fresh summer days when drinking

About Teapigs View company

Drank my two teabags of this at work today. It’s been a busy and fustrating day pretty much in equal measure, so I didn’t get chance to drink a lot. I’m trying to change that — I don’t do myself any favours by becoming dehydrated and headachey — but it all went out of the window with my plans today. Still, I managed two cups of this, so things could be worse. It’s a fairly pleasant green, smooth and very grassy. It’s not the tea I remember from the first time I tried it, but it’s pretty good all the same. Easy to drink, refreshing, and fuss-free because it’s bagged. Just the thing today.

Fresh! Summery. Green sweet but a little grassy, too…not bad! Would have again!

The last tea from my Tea Pig tasting session today. This was a lovely golden colour when brewed and smelled very fresh.
It was a nice green tea but was rather bitter after a while and it just got stronger and stronger, perhaps next time I shall do a faster steeping to see if that fixes the problem.
Overall it’s an average green tea, perfect for every day use but not for those special moments. This tea just isn’t for me.

TeaBrat

Have you tried steeping it at a lower temperature? I usually do mine at 170 – 180 F which cuts down on the bitterness.

KittyLovesTea

When I do my other green tea’s I always use warm water instead of boiling but my husband made this one so I didn’t have a choice lol. You are right though it may help to reduce the bitterness, I will try it tomorrow. I just checked the Tea Pigs website as well and they said to use boiling water :/

Very drinkable. It lacks the depth of some other green teas but is perfect for everyday drinking.

As with many green teas, can be bitter and a little dry, however with a few cups, can be praised over for its light taste and refreshing, earthy scent. Good for a quick wake-up, (leaves have good character too and are fun to watch unfurling).

My favourite green tea by far!

An above average green tea. Definitely better than any green tea I’ve had while being out for lunch or supper (I’m looking at you Bigelow and Higgins & Burke!) For a grocery store tea, it’s pretty good! Tastes like what I imagine a green tea should taste like, strong on the plant-like flavour which I enjoy. What lost points on this one for me was the tea bag itself. I hate these plastic-y tea bags. I just don’t imagine them to be healthy or eco-friendly. The other thing I didn’t like was the metallic after-taste at the end of every sip. If it wasn’t for that, I would have given it an even higher rating. I like it but I don’t love it.

Flavors: Grass, Green, Metallic, Seaweed

My first tea from the GCTTB ! :) Although this is a bagged tea it is full leaf and it’s in a cute, see through, pyramid shaped bag. Nice :)

I’ve had at least one other Mao Feng Green before and it’s usually more vegetal/buttery. This one, however was very floral (but without bitterness). Nonetheless, it was quite enjoyable and convenient to have today as I have 3 appointments and many chores to do (there goes my day off lol). I Loved watching the leaves unravel in the pyramid too :).

Flavors: Floral

175 °F / 79 °C 2 min, 0 sec 10 OZ / 295 ML
Mookit

I like this one too! Excited to see what’s in the box :)

Not your typical green tea at all. Beautiful light gold color, fresh grassy yet spicy nose. I was pleasantly surprised by the minimal astringency and the bright, fruity taste of peaches and apples. There is a light body but a lingering finish that reveals its green tea flavor. Overall a surprisingly delightful blend that will surely be a regular in my cupboard!

Flavors: Apple, Fruity, Peach

175 °F / 79 °C 4 min, 15 sec 3 g 10 OZ / 295 ML

Finally got a chance to do another tea and music pairing as suggested by Roswell Strange.

Today’s song pairing is Vance Joy’s Riptide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJ_1HMAGb4k . This is one I have heard before because it was played quite a bit through the summer. This definitely has the fun and upbeat summer vibe. It’s definitely a ukulele-type song that someone could play while doing outdoorsy summer activities. To me this vibe is reflected in the almost peachy element of the tea.

There is also a mellowness to the whole thing due to the singer’s smooth voice. Smooth and buttery. This is reflected in the vegetal base that has notes of buttery artichoke.

And yet, if you watch the video or listen to the words, there is something just slightly off about the song. At points its a little more intense and there is a bit of worry/talk of being taken to the dark side throughout. That to me is the whisp of smoke lingering on the top of every sip. It works in the mix and makes for something beautiful but also doesn’t entirely fit/blend and that’s what keeps things interesting.

Thank you Roswell Strange for the tea and yet another fun pairing.