Matcha Organic Super Power Green

Green Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Charbrew

• “This time I used almost a whole (level) teaspoonful for one mug and what do you know, the taste is stronger! 1/4 of a teaspoon my foot. The water I used was slightly too hot but it's made the tea...” Read full tasting note
    macaronic 82 tasting notes
  • “This was sent to me as a review sample. I can see what Teapigs are trying to do here - they are introducing matcha to the Western world as a health product. They have imported organic matcha...” Read full tasting note
    jenfarnell 9 tasting notes
  • “This was the first Matcha I ever tried. I bought it from a health food shop for a small fortune (or so it seemed). In terms of health benefits, I definitely noticed a real boost in energy and a...” Read full tasting note
    jimbowman 6 tasting notes
  • “I bought this expecting it to be at least average given the pricing. Teapigs usually has good teas, albeit bagged, but this matcha is terrible. I have had low grade matchas far cheaper than this...” Read full tasting note
    Vishnu 1 tasting notes

From Teapigs

We like to think of it as a sort of Superhero amongst teas, as it’s a super concentrated green tea powder that’s packed with antioxidants and nutrients. teapigs matcha comes from the renowned Nishio region in Japan, where the tea leaves are grown under cover to produce lots of amino acids and chlorophyll (the bright green good stuff). The leaves are then dried and very slowly ground by granite to a very fine powder, which is then packed and sealed immediately, so as to lock in all the nutrients in. it’s been a ceremonial beverage drunk by Buddhist monks and royalty for over 900 years. But you needn’t feel foolish about the fact you’ve never heard of it, as until now, virtually all matcha has been consumed within Japan.

About Teapigs View company

This time I used almost a whole (level) teaspoonful for one mug and what do you know, the taste is stronger! 1/4 of a teaspoon my foot. The water I used was slightly too hot but it’s made the tea react like just a normal green tea, slightly scalded and slightly astringent/acidic, but in this case it doesn’t spoil the matcha too much. Nicely dry on the tongue and deeply vegetal and fresh.

Not a matcha I think I’ll be coming back to for personal use, but an interesting forage!

195 °F / 90 °C

This was sent to me as a review sample.

I can see what Teapigs are trying to do here – they are introducing matcha to the Western world as a health product. They have imported organic matcha (hence the very high price), but it is not neccessarily high quality matcha. The flavour was bland and bitter, and the powder was not as brightly coloured as I would have liked to have seen. You can find higher quality matcha at a lower price (with all the health benefits!) in Japanese grocery stores.

Teapigs products are normally quite good, but I think they are just jumping on the health bandwagon with this one.

This was the first Matcha I ever tried. I bought it from a health food shop for a small fortune (or so it seemed). In terms of health benefits, I definitely noticed a real boost in energy and a feeling of wellbeing when I drank it, which lasted throughout the day. I noticed that I was much less exhausted in the late evening.

However, the taste was quite bland. It had hardly any bitterness, which is a real plus, but not much character, either.

My confidence in this brand of matcha was not heightened when I saw the youtube vids made by the company that showed how you could blend the match with apple juice or put it on your breakfast cereal so that you don’t have to taste it…

I also found that it was much cheaper to import good quality Matcha from Japan than it was to buy this, although the high price could be the fault of the healthfood shop.

I bought this expecting it to be at least average given the pricing. Teapigs usually has good teas, albeit bagged, but this matcha is terrible. I have had low grade matchas far cheaper than this one that were far superior. I felt a bit conned when I opened it, the colour was off and the grassy, nature fresh notes were just missing. I still prepared it in my chawan, and not soon after found myself with a displeased frown on my face, bitter and stale.

175 °F / 79 °C 0 min, 45 sec 2 g 2 OZ / 70 ML

I was sent a sample of Matcha powder from Teapigs for their Matcha May campaign that they did in May (oh what a surprise…)I did a review on this tea on my blog and also my YouTube channel (where I upload regular tea reviews) and I was disappointed in this tea. It has been so hyped up, I thought it was going to be amazing. This tea has an incredible number of supposed health benefits. I made a cup of this tea in my mug, and the tea leaves just didn’t disappear. This could be due to lack of whisk (it was a student house after all!) and the taste was extremely bitter. I saw after making the reviews that people were just doing a shot of the matcha, which makes a lot more sense! You wouldn’t make this tea for enjoyment, it’s definitely just for the health benefits.