Liquorice and Peppermint

Licorice Root, Peppermint
Licorice, Peppermint
Sachet
Caffeine Free
Edit tea info Last updated by sherapop
Boiling 4 min, 15 sec 3 g 11 oz / 314 ml

From Teapigs

What makes liquorice and mint so special? Well liquorice, for a start, which has been used for centuries in traditional Chinese medicine, is hugely popular with the Dutch and tastes so much better with peppermint than sherbet dips. Which is why, we’ve blended pure liquorice root with whole peppermint leaves to create a naturally sweet and refreshing drink that is irresistibly moreish.

Taste:
Sweet, liquorice, mint and sweet again.

Try it:
Infused for a full 3 minutes – the longer you leave this blend the sweeter it gets.

Good if you’re feeling:
In need of a little treat or alternatively in need of a tea to soothe a sore throat.

About Teapigs View company

The first time I tried this tea, I actually didn’t like it. I wasn’t, in fact, sure that I could even finish the cup. Since then, I tried it again this summer, iced, and found it palatable. This morning, struck down by a cold at the beginning of the busiest week of the year for me at work, I found another bag of this in my desk drawer. Since I’d neglected to buy milk this morning, and a hot drink – any hot drink – sounded like a good idea to me, I gave this another try.

Actually, it’s not that bad. It’s very sweet, which is what took me by surprise the first time I tried it. I was expecting the liquorice to taste dark and sort of bitter (in my head, liquorice is black and sticky), but it absolutely doesn’t. Strangely enough, when I tried a tea with a dark, sticky, bitter liquiorce flavour (hello, Twinings Liquorice Allsorts Earl Grey), I didn’t like it at all. Clearly, when it comes to liquorice, I’m really hard to please. Anyway – on second acquaintance, I’m finding that the liquorice in the tea adds a pleasing sweetness which works really well with the peppermint. I still don’t like it steeped for an overly long time, but a couple of minutes provides a drink that’s both refreshing and comforting all at once. It’s cosy, and warm, and summery, and, as such, perfect for a dark, cold day when I’m feeling terrible.

It’s probably best if I don’t comment on the nuances of this while I’m feeling so awful. I have a whole box of this in my stash, so I’m going to save the reflection for future tastings. All I know at the moment is that this made me feel better, and that I was surprised to actually like it after all.

LiberTEAS

I’ve only had this tea once, and I could not drink it. I could not finish the cup. I was really disappointed too, because I love licorice, and I’m not opposed to mint, either.

TeaEqualsBliss

Ditto what Liberteas said…I’m a mint freak and couldn’t take more than 2 sips!

TeaEqualsBliss

Having said that…I DO LOVE their straight-up Peppermint, tho! One of the best I have ever had!

Scheherazade

Thank you for the recommendation — I’ll check it out :)

Instant Color when steeping!
It’s a slightly murky light brown.

Smells like Liquorice and Peppermint prior to steep. Smells more like a typical medicinal tea once steeped.

The sip…

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD!

It made me cough it’s so strong!

It’s REALLY Liquorice!!! And slightly Peppermint! WOW!

This is really intense…distracting.

BUT…it almost makes you want to see if you have the ‘hair on your head to handle it’.
If Steepsters would chant “Chug! Chug!” it would be the FRAT of Tea around here!

WOWZA! I’m going to try to finish it but I’m not sure…I think I will stay neutral for the time being…will try and play with this to see if understeeping would help.

TeaEqualsBliss

I think we should create a Greek Name for us steepsters and it will be our Fraternity and Sororities!

Angrboda

Is it only peppermint and licorice root? My colleagues drink a lot of that. They leave the bag in throughout the day and just add more water when it’s running low.

TeaEqualsBliss

yes. Liquorice root and pure peppermint leaves.

HOLY CRAP! I couldn’t do it
That could knock a barnacle off the side of a boat!

Angrboda

I don’t know how strong it gets towards the bottom of the pot, though. I don’t really like it much myself. They add more water when they’re about two thirds down or so, because that sort of fits with when we have our lunch, so they never seem to get the really strong stuff.
There could also be some difference in strength between theirs and yours. I think they use a ‘normal’ amount of leaves when they make it (at least I do when I’m the one doing the hot bevvies), but there could be a difference in quality. Don’t know about the general quality of Teapigs, but I’m not all that impressed with the shop in which they buy theirs. Five or six great big constantly running coffee mills in the window of the shop is a bit of a turn-off for me.

TeaEqualsBliss

I LOVE their straight peppermint leaves tho! It’s the BOMB!

www.timeout-tea.co.uk

My boyfriend and I both enjoyed Yogi Tea’s Licorice Mint herbal tea and since we recently ran out I wanted to try this out to see if it would make a good replacement.

I could actually see the contents of the bag – it’s one of those pyramid-style sachets – and there seems to be quite a large amount of shreded licorice root in the blend. The taste bore that out as it was quite sweet, certainly sweeter than the Yogi version. It’s on the edge of being too sweet and probably would be if I steeped it any longer – thankfully I looked at the steeping directions on the box rather than just giving it the standard 5 min steep I usually use for herbals tisanes.

www.timeout-tea.co.uk

I placed a massive order with Teapigs a couple weeks ago, and just got it in the mail a few days ago. Since I’ve been feeling under the weather I decided to try out this tea, as a sweet treat to make myself feel better. Teapigs recommends steeping this tea for only three minutes, but I like my tea on the stronger side, and I usually don’t steep for less then five minutes. I decided to go with four minutes, since I don’t always enjoy licorice root.

Smelling this tea you can definitely smell the peppermint, it is quite strong. However with my first sip I was disappointed because the actual peppermint taste was extremely mild. On the other hand I found the licorice to be perfect, it was nice and flavorful without being too overbearingly strong. This tea did have a bit of a cough syrup sickly sweet undertone, but it wasn’t too bad. I think if I steep it for the recommended three minutes next time that it will fix that problem. I do still wish that the peppermint flavor was stronger though.

www.timeout-tea.co.uk

I got this with a big Teapigs order I received the other day. Was very excited to try it since I heard it was sweet, and since I recently cut my sugar consumption way back,I thought this could work as a treat. I did not like it hot at all. I just sort of felt like I was drinking hot toothpaste water with a funky aftertaste. I added some ice to it and it was not as horrible, but it still reminded me of diluted mouthwash. I tried some Stash liquorice tea the other day and hated it also. I’m guessing I’m not a liquorice tea person, but if you are and you like mint, then you will probably love this stuff.

Boiling 4 min, 15 sec 8 OZ / 236 ML

Bought this the other day at Whole Foods. Thought I would try it tonight because it is caffeine free. Turns out to be a bit of a strange combination. There are two main notes, the liquorice and the peppermint. They don’t blend well. This isn’t really a terrible tea it is just not that great.

I brewed two tea bags in a 16oz mug for 5 minutes.

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 4 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML
aardvarkcheeselog

> Turns out to be a bit of a strange combination… They don’t blend well.

You needed to taste it to find that out?

Sipdown (137)!

Didn’t get nearly as much tea in today as I was hoping for, but there’s always tomorrow…

Honestly; I’m feeling really fucking “meh” about this one. I want to like it, but the pairing of peppermint and that super sugary licorice note doesn’t sit right with me. It’s far, far too sweet. Kind of happy this is a sipdown, honestly. Although I will admit that the sachets this came in were hella convenient.

Backlogged from last night.
I was in Whole Foods the other day, which is always an expensive proposition, and I went down the tea aisle. This can be a risky proposition, but there hadn’t been anything new there the last time I had been there, so I thought I might get by unscathed. So I boldy wandered down.
“Tea Pigs,” I said, thinking to myself. “Isn’t that a British Brand? I don’t think I’ve seen that here before. Oh, Liquorice and Peppermint, haven’t I heard of that? Well, I like peppermint, don’t I? Lets go ahead and put it into the basket.”
Ooops.
Its really, really sweet. Absolutely no sugar is needed for this. Its going to blend I won’t want every time I drink a peppermint tea, but when I’m going through cravings for something super sweet (like now) it will be good.
And now I have a new brand to try. Huzzah/aarrhg!

Maddy Barone

We don’t have a Whole Foods near me. Probably a good thing. Right.

Indigobloom

Whole foods in Canada is SUPER expensive. I only go there when I need some specialty item that probably won’t be found elsewhere. There are a few other knockoff stores I’m afraid to go in as well! :/

A little weird. I was expecting to like it, but it’s not for me. Would not buy again.

One of the best peppermint teas I’ve had in a long time.