Liquorice and Peppermint

Herbal Tea
Licorice Root, Peppermint
Licorice, Peppermint
Caffeine Free
Edit tea info Last updated by sherapop
Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 3 g 9 oz / 273 ml

From Teapigs

What makes liquorice and mint so special? Well liquorice, for a start, which has been used for centuries in traditional Chinese medicine, is hugely popular with the Dutch and tastes so much better with peppermint than sherbet dips. Which is why, we’ve blended pure liquorice root with whole peppermint leaves to create a naturally sweet and refreshing drink that is irresistibly moreish.

Sweet, liquorice, mint and sweet again.

Try it:
Infused for a full 3 minutes – the longer you leave this blend the sweeter it gets.

Good if you’re feeling:
In need of a little treat or alternatively in need of a tea to soothe a sore throat.

About Teapigs View company

The first time I tried this tea, I actually didn’t like it. I wasn’t, in fact, sure that I could even finish the cup. Since then, I tried it again this summer, iced, and found it palatable. This morning, struck down by a cold at the beginning of the busiest week of the year for me at work, I found another bag of this in my desk drawer. Since I’d neglected to buy milk this morning, and a hot drink – any hot drink – sounded like a good idea to me, I gave this another try.

Actually, it’s not that bad. It’s very sweet, which is what took me by surprise the first time I tried it. I was expecting the liquorice to taste dark and sort of bitter (in my head, liquorice is black and sticky), but it absolutely doesn’t. Strangely enough, when I tried a tea with a dark, sticky, bitter liquiorce flavour (hello, Twinings Liquorice Allsorts Earl Grey), I didn’t like it at all. Clearly, when it comes to liquorice, I’m really hard to please. Anyway – on second acquaintance, I’m finding that the liquorice in the tea adds a pleasing sweetness which works really well with the peppermint. I still don’t like it steeped for an overly long time, but a couple of minutes provides a drink that’s both refreshing and comforting all at once. It’s cosy, and warm, and summery, and, as such, perfect for a dark, cold day when I’m feeling terrible.

It’s probably best if I don’t comment on the nuances of this while I’m feeling so awful. I have a whole box of this in my stash, so I’m going to save the reflection for future tastings. All I know at the moment is that this made me feel better, and that I was surprised to actually like it after all.

I’ve only had this tea once, and I could not drink it. I could not finish the cup. I was really disappointed too, because I love licorice, and I’m not opposed to mint, either.

Ditto what Liberteas said…I’m a mint freak and couldn’t take more than 2 sips!

Having said that…I DO LOVE their straight-up Peppermint, tho! One of the best I have ever had!

Try Peppermint & Rosemary from Time Out Teas Cornwall U.K

Thank you for the recommendation — I’ll check it out :)

Instant Color when steeping!
It’s a slightly murky light brown.

Smells like Liquorice and Peppermint prior to steep. Smells more like a typical medicinal tea once steeped.

The sip…

It made me cough it’s so strong!

It’s REALLY Liquorice!!! And slightly Peppermint! WOW!

This is really intense…distracting.

BUT…it almost makes you want to see if you have the ‘hair on your head to handle it’.
If Steepsters would chant “Chug! Chug!” it would be the FRAT of Tea around here!

WOWZA! I’m going to try to finish it but I’m not sure…I think I will stay neutral for the time being…will try and play with this to see if understeeping would help.

I think we should create a Greek Name for us steepsters and it will be our Fraternity and Sororities!

Is it only peppermint and licorice root? My colleagues drink a lot of that. They leave the bag in throughout the day and just add more water when it’s running low.

yes. Liquorice root and pure peppermint leaves.

HOLY CRAP! I couldn’t do it
That could knock a barnacle off the side of a boat!

I don’t know how strong it gets towards the bottom of the pot, though. I don’t really like it much myself. They add more water when they’re about two thirds down or so, because that sort of fits with when we have our lunch, so they never seem to get the really strong stuff.
There could also be some difference in strength between theirs and yours. I think they use a ‘normal’ amount of leaves when they make it (at least I do when I’m the one doing the hot bevvies), but there could be a difference in quality. Don’t know about the general quality of Teapigs, but I’m not all that impressed with the shop in which they buy theirs. Five or six great big constantly running coffee mills in the window of the shop is a bit of a turn-off for me.

I LOVE their straight peppermint leaves tho! It’s the BOMB!

Try Peppermint & Rosemary from Time Out Teas Cornwall U.K

My boyfriend and I both enjoyed Yogi Tea’s Licorice Mint herbal tea and since we recently ran out I wanted to try this out to see if it would make a good replacement.

I could actually see the contents of the bag – it’s one of those pyramid-style sachets – and there seems to be quite a large amount of shreded licorice root in the blend. The taste bore that out as it was quite sweet, certainly sweeter than the Yogi version. It’s on the edge of being too sweet and probably would be if I steeped it any longer – thankfully I looked at the steeping directions on the box rather than just giving it the standard 5 min steep I usually use for herbals tisanes.

Try Peppermint & Rosemary from Time Out Teas Cornwall U.K

I placed a massive order with Teapigs a couple weeks ago, and just got it in the mail a few days ago. Since I’ve been feeling under the weather I decided to try out this tea, as a sweet treat to make myself feel better. Teapigs recommends steeping this tea for only three minutes, but I like my tea on the stronger side, and I usually don’t steep for less then five minutes. I decided to go with four minutes, since I don’t always enjoy licorice root.

Smelling this tea you can definitely smell the peppermint, it is quite strong. However with my first sip I was disappointed because the actual peppermint taste was extremely mild. On the other hand I found the licorice to be perfect, it was nice and flavorful without being too overbearingly strong. This tea did have a bit of a cough syrup sickly sweet undertone, but it wasn’t too bad. I think if I steep it for the recommended three minutes next time that it will fix that problem. I do still wish that the peppermint flavor was stronger though.

Try Peppermint & Rosemary from Time Out Teas Cornwall U.K

Backlogged from last night.
I was in Whole Foods the other day, which is always an expensive proposition, and I went down the tea aisle. This can be a risky proposition, but there hadn’t been anything new there the last time I had been there, so I thought I might get by unscathed. So I boldy wandered down.
“Tea Pigs,” I said, thinking to myself. “Isn’t that a British Brand? I don’t think I’ve seen that here before. Oh, Liquorice and Peppermint, haven’t I heard of that? Well, I like peppermint, don’t I? Lets go ahead and put it into the basket.”
Its really, really sweet. Absolutely no sugar is needed for this. Its going to blend I won’t want every time I drink a peppermint tea, but when I’m going through cravings for something super sweet (like now) it will be good.
And now I have a new brand to try. Huzzah/aarrhg!

Maddy Barone

We don’t have a Whole Foods near me. Probably a good thing. Right.

Whole foods in Canada is SUPER expensive. I only go there when I need some specialty item that probably won’t be found elsewhere. There are a few other knockoff stores I’m afraid to go in as well! :/

A little weird. I was expecting to like it, but it’s not for me. Would not buy again.

One of the best peppermint teas I’ve had in a long time.

I really disliked this tea when I bought it. The flavor is dead-on but very strong and unpleasant. I ended up giving away the rest of it to my brother, who really likes liquorice and mint and has quite a sweet tooth. I’m regretting that decision now that allergy season is here in full force! I feel like this tea would have been good for soothing a sore throat.

Flavors: Licorice, Peppermint

Liquid Proust

Your favorite tea in your cupboard is good for a sore throat!
(Believe it wholeheartedly and tea can have a placebo effect, I swear)

Well, I’m moved into my dorm (finally). It took way longer than I thought it would, and after all that stress I wish I had longer to relax before classes start tomorrow. As it is I’ve been drinking copious amounts of tea and catching up on comics. There are worse ways to spend a Sunday, I guess!

This is an interesting blend, and surprisingly I don’t mind it—usually I hate peppermint! It’s just minty enough to be minty, but for the most part this is a tea with a very strong licorice flavor. To me the licorice isn’t offensive, just strong, and it’s nice after dinner. I’d probably drink it again.

This is probably the best tea that i have EVER had. It is incredibly smooth. I am not a fan of liquorice, but this is pure perfection.