Liquorice and Peppermint

Licorice Root, Peppermint
Licorice
Sachet
Caffeine Free
Edit tea info Last updated by sherapop
Boiling 3 min, 30 sec 3 g 10 oz / 295 ml

From Teapigs

What makes liquorice and mint so special? Well liquorice, for a start, which has been used for centuries in traditional Chinese medicine, is hugely popular with the Dutch and tastes so much better with peppermint than sherbet dips. Which is why, we’ve blended pure liquorice root with whole peppermint leaves to create a naturally sweet and refreshing drink that is irresistibly moreish.

Taste:
Sweet, liquorice, mint and sweet again.

Try it:
Infused for a full 3 minutes – the longer you leave this blend the sweeter it gets.

Good if you’re feeling:
In need of a little treat or alternatively in need of a tea to soothe a sore throat.

About Teapigs View company

The first time I tried this tea, I actually didn’t like it. I wasn’t, in fact, sure that I could even finish the cup. Since then, I tried it again this summer, iced, and found it palatable. This morning, struck down by a cold at the beginning of the busiest week of the year for me at work, I found another bag of this in my desk drawer. Since I’d neglected to buy milk this morning, and a hot drink – any hot drink – sounded like a good idea to me, I gave this another try.

Actually, it’s not that bad. It’s very sweet, which is what took me by surprise the first time I tried it. I was expecting the liquorice to taste dark and sort of bitter (in my head, liquorice is black and sticky), but it absolutely doesn’t. Strangely enough, when I tried a tea with a dark, sticky, bitter liquiorce flavour (hello, Twinings Liquorice Allsorts Earl Grey), I didn’t like it at all. Clearly, when it comes to liquorice, I’m really hard to please. Anyway – on second acquaintance, I’m finding that the liquorice in the tea adds a pleasing sweetness which works really well with the peppermint. I still don’t like it steeped for an overly long time, but a couple of minutes provides a drink that’s both refreshing and comforting all at once. It’s cosy, and warm, and summery, and, as such, perfect for a dark, cold day when I’m feeling terrible.

It’s probably best if I don’t comment on the nuances of this while I’m feeling so awful. I have a whole box of this in my stash, so I’m going to save the reflection for future tastings. All I know at the moment is that this made me feel better, and that I was surprised to actually like it after all.

LiberTEAS

I’ve only had this tea once, and I could not drink it. I could not finish the cup. I was really disappointed too, because I love licorice, and I’m not opposed to mint, either.

TeaEqualsBliss

Ditto what Liberteas said…I’m a mint freak and couldn’t take more than 2 sips!

TeaEqualsBliss

Having said that…I DO LOVE their straight-up Peppermint, tho! One of the best I have ever had!

Scheherazade

Thank you for the recommendation — I’ll check it out :)

Instant Color when steeping!
It’s a slightly murky light brown.

Smells like Liquorice and Peppermint prior to steep. Smells more like a typical medicinal tea once steeped.

The sip…

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD!

It made me cough it’s so strong!

It’s REALLY Liquorice!!! And slightly Peppermint! WOW!

This is really intense…distracting.

BUT…it almost makes you want to see if you have the ‘hair on your head to handle it’.
If Steepsters would chant “Chug! Chug!” it would be the FRAT of Tea around here!

WOWZA! I’m going to try to finish it but I’m not sure…I think I will stay neutral for the time being…will try and play with this to see if understeeping would help.

TeaEqualsBliss

I think we should create a Greek Name for us steepsters and it will be our Fraternity and Sororities!

Angrboda

Is it only peppermint and licorice root? My colleagues drink a lot of that. They leave the bag in throughout the day and just add more water when it’s running low.

TeaEqualsBliss

yes. Liquorice root and pure peppermint leaves.

HOLY CRAP! I couldn’t do it
That could knock a barnacle off the side of a boat!

Angrboda

I don’t know how strong it gets towards the bottom of the pot, though. I don’t really like it much myself. They add more water when they’re about two thirds down or so, because that sort of fits with when we have our lunch, so they never seem to get the really strong stuff.
There could also be some difference in strength between theirs and yours. I think they use a ‘normal’ amount of leaves when they make it (at least I do when I’m the one doing the hot bevvies), but there could be a difference in quality. Don’t know about the general quality of Teapigs, but I’m not all that impressed with the shop in which they buy theirs. Five or six great big constantly running coffee mills in the window of the shop is a bit of a turn-off for me.

TeaEqualsBliss

I LOVE their straight peppermint leaves tho! It’s the BOMB!

www.timeout-tea.co.uk

My boyfriend and I both enjoyed Yogi Tea’s Licorice Mint herbal tea and since we recently ran out I wanted to try this out to see if it would make a good replacement.

I could actually see the contents of the bag – it’s one of those pyramid-style sachets – and there seems to be quite a large amount of shreded licorice root in the blend. The taste bore that out as it was quite sweet, certainly sweeter than the Yogi version. It’s on the edge of being too sweet and probably would be if I steeped it any longer – thankfully I looked at the steeping directions on the box rather than just giving it the standard 5 min steep I usually use for herbals tisanes.

www.timeout-tea.co.uk

I placed a massive order with Teapigs a couple weeks ago, and just got it in the mail a few days ago. Since I’ve been feeling under the weather I decided to try out this tea, as a sweet treat to make myself feel better. Teapigs recommends steeping this tea for only three minutes, but I like my tea on the stronger side, and I usually don’t steep for less then five minutes. I decided to go with four minutes, since I don’t always enjoy licorice root.

Smelling this tea you can definitely smell the peppermint, it is quite strong. However with my first sip I was disappointed because the actual peppermint taste was extremely mild. On the other hand I found the licorice to be perfect, it was nice and flavorful without being too overbearingly strong. This tea did have a bit of a cough syrup sickly sweet undertone, but it wasn’t too bad. I think if I steep it for the recommended three minutes next time that it will fix that problem. I do still wish that the peppermint flavor was stronger though.

www.timeout-tea.co.uk

This is probably the best tea that i have EVER had. It is incredibly smooth. I am not a fan of liquorice, but this is pure perfection.

This is my second journey through the land of Teapigs, and based on these two experiences, it appears that the sachets contain 3g, rather than the more common 2g sachets, so part of the increased quality may simply be that the brew is bound to be more flavorful because of the leafage.

Liquorice and Peppermint, subtitled “Sweet Treat”, is a very simple blend combining only licorice root and peppermint leaves. That’s all. No elaborate bells and whistles or any of the standard herbal bases and fillers such as rooibos, hibiscus, and rosehips.

The brewed liquor smells just like minty licorice or licorice scented peppermint! (I just noticed that the British spelling contains the word ‘liquor’ in it!) The two components are well-balanced, and I happen to love both, so this tea is truly a sweet treat for me!

Flavors: Licorice

Boiling 5 min, 45 sec 3 g 10 OZ / 295 ML

I got these teabags for Christmas from my amazing parents who know me too well. I always loved liquorice root as a kid, and this tea sounded amazing.

It smells really good brewed, mainly peppermint with a liquorice background, and that’s how it tastes, too. The peppermint comes through strongly first, then lets the liquorice root come into play a bit more, giving a nice natural liquorice flavour instead of a taste of the mass-produced sweet. However liquorice root is very sweet, and the aftertaste of this is just too sweet for me unfortunately (and I like my teas fairly sweet, too). It hasn’t stopped me from getting through the majority of my teabags already, as it’s the only negative to a good herbal.

I got around it, though! Tonight, I fancied a hot chocolate with a twist, and, whilst I would normally go for a chocolate chai latte, I fancied mint. Sooo, I brewed a cup of this, and added it to cocoa instead of plain water and BAMFT! mint hot chocolate! It’s goooorgeous, and the sweetness means no added sugar! Plus the liquorice aftertaste is still present, giving it a more sophisticated twist. Yummy.

JustJames

no one will buy me tea… they’re too afraid lol. very odd- i’m not THAT picky and i’m certainly not rude =0/

Nattie

You could try dropping hints? Everyone buys me tea – they know it’s usually a safe bet (:

Or you could show them steepster, and point out your wishlist!

What with a somewhat negative association with liquorice sweets and having my cheek pinched by various elderly relatives as a child, I was somewhat reticent about trying this tisane. Since it was a gift, and I dislike rudeness even more than facial molestation by the over 75s, I brewed some up this afternoon, fingers poised over the keyboard and thesaurus open at “unpleasant”.

And yet, I can’t actually say I hated this. The mint was a little too astringent, which is unavoidable in a teabag, and the liquorice leant it a strange sweetness which was almost overpowering (and certainly would have become so had I brewed it for any longer than the suggested three minutes), but overall it was a generally pleasant experience.

a brilliant blend, the mint works very well with the liquorice to bring out the sweetness. maybe you need to be slightly fond of liquorice, i’m not sure. for me, i absolutely loved this, the only downside being the price of teapigs teabags!

i’m not sure why some reviewers weren’t massively impressed by this, but for me, this is a brilliant flavour combination and my favourite of the teapigs teabags (this and the darjeeling earl grey).