High Mountain Ali Shan 2014

Edit tea info Last updated by ZachMangan

From Tearroir

High Mountain Ali Shan 2014 from Tearroir
Chiayi County, Taiwan
This tea was grown high in the famed Ali Shan mountain range of Taiwan. Teas from high elevations grow slower, concentrating the flavor into the leaves and making for a rich, sophisticated brew: some of the finest oolong available.

About Tearroir View company

This is a nice tea to drink in the afternoon or evening. It is light and very floral. Refreshing and a good choice for spring or summer.

Flavors: Floral

Whaaaat? You know I’ve been embarrassed to say that “All Oolongs taste alike to me.” Well never mind. Because THIS oolong is niiiice. Oh darling, I’m so happy now. Sweet like a flower, no sharp edges, bursting round flavor! I can tell it’s an oolong, but it sings a little more vibrantly than your average oolong-joe. Me likey.

Packet 1 of 2 from the most recent Steepster Select box.

I was unsure this would be good after watching it steep and comparing it to the instruction on the packet – 1.5 minutes and it was still pretty light in color.

The scent reminds me of Milk Oolong, and it mentioned being milky and floral, so I tried it as a latte first – good, but a little insubstantial.

Second steeping, I’m having it without milk and it’s been steeping awhile – better, but not spectacular to me. I’ll try the second packet in a gaiwan, I think, when I have time to spare.

I was impressed by the first steeping of this oolong, where I found delicate creamy flavors with traces of honey and fruit, but I was hoping to find more complexity In the later brews. Sadly, and probably due to user error, I found only green notes and astringent flavors that completely washed out the sweetness and creamy texture. I am eager to give the tea another try and be more careful about brewing temperature and time, but for now I stand disappointed by a predictable tea. 6/10, hope to adjust this rating later.

5/24/14

Chiayi County, Taiwan
I love the 195F temp for this Oolong, it is a really good one.
Dry leaves are spring yellow and green colored little pellets with their stems. They have scents of cream and honeysuckle.
Wet leaves unravel to be very green spinach color, I don’t think I have had such a new Oolong and you can definitely tell the difference. This 2014 is fresh and really bright green when the leaves unravel. They smell like honeysuckle as well.
Liquor is very light clear pearl color but these leaves are still tightly rolled,,they are definitely getting resteeped after this.
Scent is a consistent honeysuckle and cream.
Flavor is smooth, creamy, honeysuckle. Very Very good Oolong!!!!! I love that this tastes like honeysuckle which is not overly floral or perfumy to me. I remember tasting honeysuckle flowers as a kid.

2nd steeping – Leaves have really unraveled now and the liquor is a deeper yet still clear spring-green color with stronger scents and flavors of honeysuckle and cream.
These leaves can definitely go for a few more steeps too. Package says total of 5.

From the Steepster Select Box; May, 2014

Flavors: Cream, Flowers

Very nice, used the two sample pckets and brewed for 1:15 for the first then 40 seconds there after making for a rich brew of buttery oolong goodness. Waiting for all my purveyors to return from there tea buying trips so I can get full steam ahead into the 2014 crop.

Flavors: Butter, Gardenias, Grass, Peas