Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

From Teas Etc

This is the original Lapsong tea!

A heavenly, smooth black tea with a sweet oakey note that does not even resemble Lapsong teas of today. I encourage everyone to try this incredible, black tea for a whole new perspective.

Grown high in the Wuyi mountains of China this remarkable tea was once the talk of Europe and made a splash in American history as one of the teas thrown overboard at the Boston Tea

Ingredients: black tea

Origin of Bohea : China

About Teas Etc View company

Direct trade quality loose leaf tea for more than a decade. World Tea Championship winners in 2008 & 2009. USDA Certified Organic. Based in US with buying office in China.

1943 tasting notes

I have been wanting to try a smoky tea, and I have wanted to try Bohea ever since I saw that Colonial Williamsburg sells it on their site as a historic tea. Today I got to address both of those wants! We heat our home mostly with a wood burning insert and this tea smells like my clothes and hair after I have started an oak fire and gotten in the smoke a bit. That’s a good thing to me – speaks of home and hearth. I don’t TASTE the smoke, I smell the smoke, but after you swallow your sip the smoky flavor drifts lazily up into your nose. I can definitely see how smoky tea can have passionate followers, and I think for myself it will be something that I occasionally crave but wouldn’t drink every day. In winter this would be especially good, though I just got back from a 30 minute walk in 93 degree heat! Thank you, TEAEQUALSBLISS! I can say I have now had a lapsang style tea and….I like it! It is definitely more smoky than my beloved Queen Catherine from Harney who gets me going on tough days, but I hear this is one of the lightest and truer to the original historic lapsangs. Only steeped for three minutes – the smoky leaves had me scared! Tea flavor is lovely, though, but after I made it I read that long steeps won’t hurt this tea.

It is good, very coffee like. It is weird, I get different tastes each time I sip. It’s like smooth black coffee…but lighter. Sometimes sharp on the end.

Bought mine at Colonial Williamsburg, and it was nothing like its description.

I do adore this tea – smoky, smooth and sweet. It’s my rainy-day tea, and that describes today perfectly.