Nilgiri

Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

From Teas Etc

A delicious full-bodied black tea from southwest India, Nilgiri is a lesser known region than India’s more popular growing areas of Assam and Darjeeling. The environmental conditions in Nilgiri are perfect for growing quality, tasty teas. Perfect hot or iced.

Ingredients: Organic Indian black tea

Origin of Nilgiri : India

About Teas Etc View company

Direct trade quality loose leaf tea for more than a decade. World Tea Championship winners in 2008 & 2009. USDA Certified Organic. Based in US with buying office in China.

I can’t get enough of this Nilgiri. Unfortunately I just used the last of it and need to order more.

TeaCast

hahah that’s kind of a problem ;)

Sample package label:
“USDA Organic
*Heat water to boil
*use 1 level teaspoon of leaves per 8 oz.
*pour water over leaves, brew 4-5 mins.
Ingredients: Organic Indian Black Tea”

8-oz water with total dissolved solids (TDS) of 22 ppm, boiled
1 level Tevanna teaspoon

This tea has a light grassy fragrance.

Amber hue

4-min Infusion Initial Impression: The taste is light-bodied, smooth, not bitter or astringent with a clean finish. (I then let it steep for an additional minute.)
5-min Infusion: It has a smooth light- to medium-bodied flavor that’s not at all bitter or astringent with a clean finish. (I then let it steep for an additional minute.)
6-min Infusion: It has a nearly medium-bodied flavor with an initial bitterness that has faded as it has cooled. It’s not astringent and has a clean finish. A five minute infusion is probably best.

Given how my experience didn’t match this tea’s description, I tried again:

2nd Cup: 212*F, 6 oz., 1 level tsp.
5-min Infusion: It has a smooth nearly full-bodied flavor that’s not at all bitter or astringent with a clean finish – Much improved versus 8 oz. of water. However, it doesn’t provide a full mouth feel or a rich/creamy flavor.

Impression: This is my first straight Nilgiri black tea. For a breakfast tea, I typically prefer a fuller-bodied rich black tea. As such, I would welcome an opportunity to taste an Assam and a Keemun from Teas Etc. I also have an unopened sample of Golden Monkey from Teas Etc. that’s much more likely to be “my cup of tea”.

Thanks to Teas Etc. for providing this free sample.