Dark Rose Tea

Smooth, Sweet, Flowers, Loam, Malt, Wood
Edit tea info Last updated by Kashyap

• “I bought a Bamboo Tea Tray from Teasource.com and with it they sent me a sample of this, Ok I would have never,never bought this Tea on my own because I just wouldn't but now that i was able to try...” Read full tasting note
    toadman208 479 tasting notes
  • “Happy Valentine's Day everyone (or Lupercalia if you are reading this from Ancient Rome) I hope your day is filled with love and happiness. Since today is all about hearts and romance...and quite...” Read full tasting note
    SoggyEnderman 438 tasting notes
  • “So if you saw my previous cupping of the Dark Tea Rose sample from Zen Cha this is a bit of a follow up. I thought the shape and style of the compressed heart looked familiar and as it so happens...” Read full tasting note
    Kashyap 54 tasting notes
  • “I didn't get the aroma of rose at all - not in the dried leaves, brewed leaves, or the tea itself. This just tasted like a straight pu'erh tea. I got a floral note as I swallowed but no more than...” Read full tasting note
    dcs121989 35 tasting notes

From TeaSource

Dark tea is a sub-category of Chinese tea that is rarely seen in the West. Dark teas are medium-bodied and smooth, with a natural sweet note. Like puerh, it ages well and is a probiotic tea. This particular Dark tea has a deliciously sweet, dusty rose flavor and aroma. It is compressed into small heart shapes that are individually packaged inside each tin.

About TeaSource View company

I bought a Bamboo Tea Tray from Teasource.com and with it they sent me a sample of this, Ok I would have never,never bought this Tea on my own because I just wouldn’t but now that i was able to try it, it is not bad at all not too rosey/flowery but a very nice smooth flavor with a slight sweetness in the aftertaste, This one is prolly worth buying to have for company or something even, the little hearts are very tightly pressed and they expand into a good bit of leaves, 1st steep was not as dark as the next steep as usual but the following 3 steeps were very dark slighlty thick and very smooth by the 5th and 6th steep it was starting to look more like the first steep and i knew it was ending, I would recommend this one.

Thomas Edward(Toad)

Photos here :)

I tried to edit but I always have problems with the edit box not scrolling down so i can save it, oh well

Azzrian

I love the tin shown in the photo.

ashmanra

Oh my gosh the tea is heart shaped! I have to buy this!

Thomas Edward(Toad)

More Heart Shaped Tea is at the tea table, its not as great as this one but its not bad at all either :)

Happy Valentine’s Day everyone (or Lupercalia if you are reading this from Ancient Rome) I hope your day is filled with love and happiness. Since today is all about hearts and romance…and quite frequently flowers, why not look at a thematically appropriate tea? I do love doing thematically appropriate reviews, though I doubt I will come up with a good one for President’s Day.

Dark Rose Tea by Tea Source is a delightfully heart shaped compressed block of dark tea. What is dark tea, you might be asking, well in short dark tea (or Heicha) is fermented tea that is not from Yunnan. Technically Pu Erh is still a dark tea, but it is so specialized that it more or less gets its own category. This specific dark tea comes from Hunan and is mixed with roses, my personal favorite flower to have in tea. The aroma is a bit musty, like dry loam and old wood, similar to a forest that has not seen rain in a while. There is also a touch of leather and a very faint and delicate rose aroma.

Sadly upon steeping the compressed tea it no longer looks like a cute little heart, but this is expected. The aroma has become quite rosy and malty with only a touch of loam and oak wood. It is beginning to smell more like a moist forest floor in summer than a dry one. The liquid without the leaves steeping in them have a bright quality with strong notes of rose and sweet malt. It smells heavy and rich, not at all light and buoyant.

The first steeping of the little heart shaped nugget of tea happiness is quite rich and filling. Drinking it makes my mouth feel smooth and full, it is a slightly odd sensation because it also has a sense of weight to it. The taste is at first rosy and sweet, but this fades to oak wood and a mild astringency. The taste reminds me more of a strong black tea than the dark teas I am used to.

Giving the crumbled heart another dunking causes the mild astringency to vanish and makes the already smooth tea even more so, almost making it feel velvety. It does lose the weighty feel and now is just a bright tea. There is only the barest hint of roses and the tea has a finish of copper. I really do think this tea would be great for people who are scared off of Pu Erhs and other dark teas by their earthy quality, but for people who love that aspect it is a bit of a let down.

For photos and blog: http://ramblingbutterflythoughts.blogspot.com/2014/02/tea-source-dark-rose-tea-tea-review.html

Flavors: Flowers, Loam, Malt, Wood

So if you saw my previous cupping of the Dark Tea Rose sample from Zen Cha this is a bit of a follow up. I thought the shape and style of the compressed heart looked familiar and as it so happens I had a sample of this tea sent to me via TeaSource a while back. I remember thinking it somewhat novel, as the heart shape and ‘rose’ scent seemed to paint it into a perfect role for a Valentines day gift – so thinking it to be a pu erh – I didn’t bother to cup it as I was waiting for a time to gift it. After recieving the kindness of I Cheng in the form of a ‘dark tea’ sample, it jogged my memory and I found the sample in my tea cubby. I decided to go ahead and cup it again and found a few more details after sending an inquiry to the parent company in China.

First: Each tea heart weighs a bit different. I found the weight shift from 3.6g – 4.2g depending on the heart – a fine metaphor, but perhaps not the most equivocal cup. They also both had the YQY stamp on the tea heart – and I think this confirms origin.
The flavor was very consistent with my other cupping so I won’t draw it out.
Second: So concerning my correspondence with Yiqingyuan Tea Industry the details are as follows -
Hunan Dark tea, if some body say Hunan dark tea, actually is meaning Anhua dark tea, Anhua is a county of Hunan, Just Anhua dark tea is the most popular in China.
About Fu Cha is pile-fermented in Hunan, actually, the Fu Cha is just a type of Hunan dark tea, original place of dark tea is Anhua county of Hunan province, Dark tea has many types, such like Fu Cha/ Fu brick tea, Hei Brick tea, Hua Brick tea, Qing Brick tea, bamboo fu cha, qiang liang tea, bai liang tea, shi liang tea, dark rose tea, and grain dark tea, etc. so you said dark tea bricks, may it is fu brick ,or Hei brick, or qing brick, or Hun prick, but just Fu brick tea can grow golden flowers(also called Eurotium Cristatum)In Yunnan, there are two major types of Pu’er, Qing Pu’er and Shou or Sheng Puer. Shou Cha is pile fermented in Yunan.
Please have a check the attached information of Dark tea and Puerh tea, thanks very much!
If you have any other questions for Chinese teas, please just let me know, thanks!

Attached was also more technical information on the difference between Pu Erh’s and Dark Teas. The overall distinction is this:
Pu Erhs come as sheng and shou styles (shou being pile fermented and more akin to ‘dark tea’) and they all come from the Yunnan region.
Dark Teas hail from the Anhui region of China and are pile fermented and pine-wood fire cured (like Lapsang souchong and Bohea)
Both have pro biotic properties due to pile fermentation and have other potential attributes to diuretic and digestive health and are consumed with that consideration.
I always find it interesting to find new frontiers of tea and I hope you find this curious and interesting.

I didn’t get the aroma of rose at all – not in the dried leaves, brewed leaves, or the tea itself. This just tasted like a straight pu’erh tea. I got a floral note as I swallowed but no more than any other non-flavored tea.
I’m not really a fan of pu’erh. The smokey/horsey quality was less intense than in the other pu’erhs I’ve tried.
It’s just not my thing and it left my mouth very dry

I have to admit, I was intrigued by this one, & I’m grateful to Stephanie for sending a sample my way. Although I’m not a huge fan of ‘flavored’ teas, I do tend to always want to try novelty shaped teas, made from just natural ingredients. (I really want to try the Anhui Basket tea too, & Stephanie also sent me a sample of that one!).

I don’t really have much to say about it, other than I enjoyed the cup. I like heicha, & my understanding is it’s like Shu puerh kind of, but seems to me to be somewhere in between black tea & Shu. Flavors I was able to pick out: Wood, Leather, & light Rose.

Stephanie

I felt very similar about this one.

Thanks so much Amanda Wilson for sending me a very generous sample of this tea!

I had an AMAZING day yesterday you guys! HUGE all day outdoor art fair with incredibly beautiful weather, and then a gallery opening in the evening. The theme of the gallery show was a movie mashup- The Big Lebowski in Little China, LOL. Anyway both went great, and my Lebowski piece sold within an hour of the opening starting and I’ve already taken two reprint orders! WOO!

ANYWAY, yesterday was long and good but I reached for this tea because I may have had a little TOO much fun at the gallery opening (it was at a bar/cafe) so I reached for this one assuming the cute little compressed heart was some kind of puerh…

I’m not totally sure it is! It sure tastes more like a black tea to me. Nice and dark and malty. Also I think the rose adds a nice subtle sweetness but is not too overpowering. Very nice tea. I will enjoy drinking the rest of this sample packet for sure, whatever it is :)

TheTeaFairy

That is so great, Congratulation Stephanie :-)

Courtney

That’s awesome, good job!

Terri HarpLady

Yay Stephanie! Is there a photo?
This tea sounds interesting too!

Stephanie

Ok guys here is my Lebowski piece! I added a watermark so the internets can’t run of and steal it ;) http://twitpic.com/e1nngt It looks really great printed out, I made it a 16″×20″ :)

Terri HarpLady

That is awesome! :)

boychik

Omg Stephanie, that is huge!!! I love it. Congrats!!!

caile

Congratulations!! That is wonderful!

Stephanie

Thanks everyone! I’ve been working in photoshop for a living for the past 10 years, but I think this piece was the most fun I’ve ever had in photoshop! :D

__Morgana__

Wow, awesome! Congrats!

Amanda 'SoggyEnderman' Wilson

Yay! So glad you like it! I agree, even though it is a Dark Tea (Hei Cha, or whatever other names exist for it) it does taste a lot more like a black tea.

this is in the style of pu-erh, but instead of the barnyardy tasting yunnan peninsula, this tea comes from the sweet earthy hunan peninsula. so it’s already better, and then it’s aged 3 years, blended with rose petals, and pressed into heart shapes. hands down one of my all time favorite teas. the rose petals do little more than add a pretty effect and slight floral aroma. the body is so thick, amazing for a tea. the aroma is of sweet black tea. savor the tea, it is slow and luxurious. i don’t add sugar, but you could. it’s borderline sweet enough on its own, but you might want a little bit.
i usually steep it 4 times. 2 minutes the first time, 3 the next time, 4-5 the next time, 10 minutes or more the final time. it is fairly consistent in taste in each steeping this way.
when i first saw this tea, i thought it was some kind of a gimmick, but nope, this is fo’ real. so there you go.

205 °F / 96 °C 8 min or more

Details:
Kettle: Breville Tea Maker
Temp: 200
Steep Time: 1:15 min
Type: Dark Tea, Disk

First Steep: ~1:15, mellow and very light color and flavor. Nice earthy base notes and very slightly floral.