Gunpowder Temple of Heaven

Green Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Lisa (harmony_bites)

• “This is a green that has been a very, very acquired taste. I remember my first time drinking it, when I made some up to sip while I plunked myself down in a hallway in the science building to do a...” Read full tasting note
    potatowedges 98 tasting notes
  • “I'm new to loose-leaf teas, and I do understand tastes change as you experience the different teas, but at this point at least, I don't like the smokey, earthy flinty taste of this tea at all. At...” Read full tasting note
    harmony_bites 101 tasting notes
  • “i thought gunpowder was gunpowder, but side by side with other gunpowders, this brand disappointed. it is less sweet and feels rougher in the mouth and overall has less flavor. granted, you...” Read full tasting note
    mistermug 52 tasting notes

From TeaSource

This is the highest grade of gunpowder tea, also called pinhead gunpowder due to its smaller size. It produces a cup with an earthy sweetness. Good for 2-3 infusions.

About TeaSource View company

This is a green that has been a very, very acquired taste. I remember my first time drinking it, when I made some up to sip while I plunked myself down in a hallway in the science building to do a perspective drawing. I took my first sip and…ugh…the astringency and grassiness really put me off. However, I wasn’t a particular fan of green tea to begin with at that point. I really needed to get into unflavored greens themselves, which I have (most enthusiastically) for several months now. Even after that, I avoided this tea for some reason, thinking I still wouldn’t like it.

Not so. I had some this morning, just after having a little piece of dark chocolate, and its grassy, earthy, somewhat astringent flavor was perfect and soothing. There is a definite depth to this tea—I feel like I’m tasting soil as well as foliage. I’m eagerly anticipating the second steep, and I’m also trying to figure out when I can make a big order of green again…I know I need to cool it for a while so my pantry doesn’t overflow.

This is fantastic. So much love.

I’m new to loose-leaf teas, and I do understand tastes change as you experience the different teas, but at this point at least, I don’t like the smokey, earthy flinty taste of this tea at all. At least unflavored. I’ve tried Gunpowder Tea paired with Mint, and did like that tea more, but at this point I don’t see this as a tea I’ll ever reach for again. At the very least, I think it’s unlikely this makes a good introduction to loose-leaf green teas.

Kashyap

‘flinty’ is a good way to describe this

i thought gunpowder was gunpowder, but side by side with other gunpowders, this brand disappointed. it is less sweet and feels rougher in the mouth and overall has less flavor. granted, you probably wouldn’t notice if it wasn’t side by side with others, because really what kind of person sits around comparing gunpowders? ah well, there you go.