Darjeeling, Ambiok Estate, 1st Flush, SFTGFOP1

Edit tea info Last updated by Lisa (harmony_bites)

From TeaSource

This extremely nice 1st flush Darjeeling black tea produces a cup that is very fragrant with sweet, slightly crisp notes. This fine 1st flush Darjeeling has a sort of honey-oolong nuance with a sweet lingering finish.

About TeaSource View company

An alright first flush darjeeling. Unlike Lisa I found it to be very typical, quite green and fresh. Maybe Teasource sent the wrong tea? No muscatel tones or really anything of distinction.

The description on the TeaSource site describes this as “very fragrant with sweet, slightly crisp notes” that “has a sort of honey-oolong nuance with a sweet lingering finish.” I didn’t find it oolong-ish at all on the first infusion. Nor did I find it reminiscent of a Green Tea, which is how I’ve heard a lot of Darjeeling First Flushes described. It has neither the vegetal note of Green Teas nor the mineral-like note of Oolongs I’ve tried. If anything, it reminded me most of the Ceylon tea I tried yesterday—tasting like a very basic black tea. A bit mellower than the Ceylon perhaps, and a bit more astringent than the Summer Flush Darjeelings I’ve tried. This is a nice tea—my aunt liked it very much—but I prefer the Summer flushes I’ve tried to this one. This isn’t the favorite those were. On the second infusion for whatever reason it did seem more reminiscent of an oolong to me. I’d still give the Summer flushes I’ve had the edge.