Brandy Oolong

Oolong Tea
Plums, Rye, Smoked, Toasty, Whiskey, Baked Bread, Wheat
Edit tea info Last updated by Lisa (harmony_bites)

• “Another tea I had as a sample and had to buy. I’ve passed over this before because of the name as I thought it was some sort of flavored tea, but one sip showed me how wrong I was....” Read full tasting note
    GooseberrySpoon 96 tasting notes
  • “Smells like bread in both the leaves and the brew. If you know your culinary/linguistic history, it makes sense: we get the word ‘bread’ from the same word as ‘brew’. It...” Read full tasting note
    Reesha 9 tasting notes
  • “this is a dark oolong without the “toasty” notes usually found in dark oolongs. instead, it is sweet and smooth, tasting of honey and subtle peach, and overall tastes like black tea...” Read full tasting note
    mistermug 52 tasting notes
  • “This tea is on the black side of oolongs. In fact, I read that Brandy Oolongs are oxidized from 85 to 90 percent. So if Pouchongs embody the green exteme of oolongs, Brandy Oolongs are at the other...” Read full tasting note
    harmony_bites 108 tasting notes

From TeaSource

This medium to strong oolong has a phenomenal floral/stone fruit aroma. The liquor is smooth and sweet – with hints of honey. It is slightly reminiscent of the extremely rare Ruby 18.

About TeaSource View company

Another tea I had as a sample and had to buy. I’ve passed over this before because of the name as I thought it was some sort of flavored tea, but one sip showed me how wrong I was. It’s very oxidized so it’s wonderfully dark but doesn’t have the astringency of a black tea. I found it to be a bit peachy without much roasted flavor. I was a little put off to the description mentioning Ruby 18, but after trying the two side by side they do share some of that complexity that makes Ruby 18 so wonderful just without any of the liqiorice notes.

CWarren

Sounds awesome!

Gooseberry Spoon

It is, and better yet pretty affordable for the quality…unlike Ruby 18

Fjellrev

Awesome shots!

Smells like bread in both the leaves and the brew. If you know your culinary/linguistic history, it makes sense: we get the word ‘bread’ from the same word as ‘brew’. It tastes like bread, too, with almost no after taste. A good palette cleanser, as well as an enjoyable, no-nonsense tea. I rated this one more harshly in the paste, because of its simplicity, but as I’ve gained more experience in tasting tea, I’ve come to realize that simplicity is not the same as one-note. This tea is just a good taste with a complexity that is very well blended.
You know how when you make a soup, it tastes better the next day because the flavors have had a chance to marry? The same effect seems to be going on here, except the flavors of bread and whiskey have been married to produce something else entirely, something more elevated.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Wheat

this is a dark oolong without the “toasty” notes usually found in dark oolongs. instead, it is sweet and smooth, tasting of honey and subtle peach, and overall tastes like black tea but without any of the dryness, bite, or astringency that a black tea usually has. a really really nice tea, and a good value. it seems like it should cost more than it does.

This tea is on the black side of oolongs. In fact, I read that Brandy Oolongs are oxidized from 85 to 90 percent. So if Pouchongs embody the green exteme of oolongs, Brandy Oolongs are at the other end. Personally, I loved the tea, and would rate it at the high end taking only my own tastes into account. But I share these teas (and the expense) with my aunt, and she didn’t like this one at all. The label and description on the site says this tea has a “phenomenal floral/stone fruit aroma.” My aunt doesn’t like flavored teas. I could swear I tasted peach in this. It definitely had a floral/fruity quality more pronounced than in an unflavored tea I’ve tried. Which is a lot of what I did like—and I suspect precisely what my aunt did. So, since I try to rate these to help me decide which teas to purchase again, I’m docking this so it’s just out of that high rated range. But personally, I thought it a winner.