Blue Beauty

Oolong Tea
Licorice, Metallic, Stonefruits, Sweet, Wood
Edit tea info Last updated by Joshua Lund

From TeaSource

This green oolong from the Fujian province is a regional specialty tea rarely seen outside of China. It brews up very aromatic, sweet, floral, and slightly spicy with a pronounced silky texture. The leaf is sprinkled with ginseng and licorice root, and then folded many times so you will get many steepings from the same leaf.

About TeaSource View company

Had a few steeps of this last night, and I totally forgot how much I love this one. I was just trying to sipdown on some older tea I had to make room for a few bags I have yet to open, BUT as soon as I tasted this one again I decided that I’d need to order more. Smooth, sweet, and so yummy!

The dry leaves actually seem grayish-blue in color and are very tightly rolled – they almost look like pebbles! Once brewed they expand slowly. The smell of the brew isn’t much, I’ll admit. It’s all in the taste!
It’s a smooth green-ish oolong (it doesn’t have a huge vegetal presence), with hay notes and DELICIOUS licorice aspects at the end of the sip! Goodness, how I love the aftertaste of this one.

Glad to say this is still one of my favorites and hasn’t diminished over my months of tea tasting. Hooray!

On a personal note, I only have two finals left before I am graduated and free from college! Super excited, but super nervous about real grown-up life starting. Gotta find me a real job and say “Good-bye” to Ruby Tuesday. ;)

Good luck on finals for all those in school, and Congrats to all the graduating seniors out there!

I fell in love with a mystery Oolong on a trip to Guilin while I was studying in Hong Kong. After returning to the USA, I searched all my local tea stores to find an equivalent. Years passed.
While visiting relatives in Minnesota, I stopped by Tea Source and found the exact tea I fell in love with years earlier!
This tea has the most incredible, lingering aftertaste. Do not steep too long, but DO use it for several infusions. The second is definitely the best! I generally save this one for special occasions.

Emily M

I absolutely agree; the aftertaste is amazing!

Cooking TTB #14

This is such an interesting oolong! The leaves really do have a blueish cast and they are rolled into tight little pellets that look kind of like pebbles. The flavor is also unlike other oolongs that I’ve tried…no vegetal flavor or silky mouth feel. Instead it’s heavy on the ginseng with a lingering sweet licorice aftertaste. The re-steep was very similar. I’m glad I got to try this, but it’s not something I would reach for again.

Flavors: Licorice

Anlina

I wish the licorice and ginseng were more muted – I feel like if there was more oolong and less of those other flavours it’d be better.

The ginseng and licorice don’t taste at all like ginseng and licorice, because they meld together to create something entirely new that is very pleasant. It has an aftertaste that leaves the mouth feeling smooth and cleansed.
I brewed this in my YiXing pot that I have seasoned with Blue Beauty Oolong. The cumulative taste has made it a wonderful choice for an YiXing pot.

Flavors: Licorice, Metallic, Stonefruits

From the Cooking TTB.

I’m glad I got a chance to try this, but this is not for me. On the first steep, the ginseng sweetness is a bit cloying, in the way that licorice often is, and masks the taste of the oolong. On the second steep of these leaves, the balance of flavours is better, but the oolong is very woody tasting. Probably my least favourite flavour profile for oolongs.

Ah well. I’m sure someone else will enjoy the rest of this sample more than me.

Flavors: Licorice, Sweet, Wood

donkeytiara

i have a sample of this and was curious…especially because of the color it gave the tea…almost like licorice allsorts after someone bit into the black part….

I received this as a sample with my TeaSource order. It’s a green oolong flavored with licorice and ginseng, not something I would have chosen, which may account for why I’m not raving about it they way other reviewers have. The tea itself looks rather strange—like kibble or pellets. To me it tastes a lot like a Ti Kuan Yin with a hint of toastiness. There is a fairly mint-like bit in the aftertaste that’s probably due to the ginseng. It’s enjoyable, but it’s fairly down my list of favorite oolongs, at least on first steeping.