White Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Jillian

• “Dry leaf smells like sweet basil, almost...with a tinge of mint underneath. The leaves are a fuzzy/frosty water/gray in color... Wet leaf has a very vegetal scent. It's a very light and...” Read full tasting note
    teaequalsbliss 6770 tasting notes
  • “A really nice, soft treat. The liquor is very light, a little yellowish and clear. It has a fairly floral nose and some vegetal notes, almost somewhat like a green tea, but not nearly as...” Read full tasting note
    jason 112 tasting notes
  • “I'm confused. Delighted to the utmost extent, but confused nonetheless. I taste black tea maltiness, white tea fruitiness/mustiness, green tea nuttiness, and anxi oolong sweetness. Sounds...” Read full tasting note
    chadao 45 tasting notes
  • “Jack: _(Second Steep for 1min)_ "It's alright. It's like what you would expect. A bit of melon." Jason: http://steepster.com/jason/posts/47407 ^Brewed in Tiny White Teapot^” Read full tasting note
    disruptohq 22 tasting notes

From Teatulia Teas

A medium-bodied delicacy with hints of peach. Made from the youngest and rarest tea parts.

About Teatulia Teas View company

Dry leaf smells like sweet basil, almost…with a tinge of mint underneath. The leaves are a fuzzy/frosty water/gray in color…

Wet leaf has a very vegetal scent.

It’s a very light and clean taste with a refreshing and relaxing sip all the way thru. D-lish!

The color of the liquid is a very, very light brown with a yellowish hue.

TeaEqualsBliss

Oh…again, this is the loose leaf…

A really nice, soft treat. The liquor is very light, a little yellowish and clear. It has a fairly floral nose and some vegetal notes, almost somewhat like a green tea, but not nearly as strong.

It’s surprisingly sweet throughout the whole sip. You get a good amount of sweetness when it first hits your tongue, then it recedes a little, but comes back the strongest farther back in your mouth. It finishes nice and sweet with an almost buttery flavor.

It’s light, but at the same time feels like it’s coating my tongue (in a good way) which I think may be where the buttery flavor sensation comes from. A good white tea with some flavor complexity and unusual notes that make it stand out from other plain whites.

I’m confused. Delighted to the utmost extent, but confused nonetheless. I taste black tea maltiness, white tea fruitiness/mustiness, green tea nuttiness, and anxi oolong sweetness. Sounds amazing, right? But all of this in one cup? It makes my head spin. I think I will use this tasting note to sort out the chaos that this tea has caused in my mind and senses.

First things first. The appearance, aroma, taste, and mouthfeel resemble nothing close to a Fujian white tea made from the Da Bai Hao cultivar (many tea fanatics, myself included, believe that this is the only “true” white tea). The needles are shorter, grayer, and do not have the same mushroom smell. The brew is much darker than the pale yellow of a Fujian Bai Hao Yin Zhen brew.

And the taste? OMG, the TASTE!!! There are hints of oxidation: fresh bread, malty flavor, all indicative of a black tea. A certain saltiness tickles my taste buds, which is what Fujian white teas do. I get a hint of jasmine and umami, all of which are usually present in the highest quality oolong teas. There is even a shade of the nuttiness that characterizes a Long Jing. How on earth can a cup of tea incorporate all of the best qualities of every type of tea into itself? My mind. It’s experiencing growing pains again.

One thing is for sure. I cannot call this a white tea, not just because of the “fujian da bai hao” bunk that I believe in, but because of its inherent character. It is truly a unique tea that deserves its own category. It should be called… I don’t know… a royaltea?

Who would have known that Bangladesh would become a place that produces a high quality tea? Talk about “finding a priceless pearl in the poor.” I’m not just talking about the tea here. Teatulia is doing some amazing work on this 2,000-acre part of the world to create an infrastructure of community, equity, and sustainability. More information about this can be found on Teatulia’s website. They are really creating a goldmine in a land of rubbish, and I really hope that Teatulia’s efforts will positively affect everyone who comes in contact with the company. If they continuously produce a product of such exquisite quality as their loose leaf White Tea, and translate this quality to every product that they offer, then they will have no problem doing so.

chadao

Thank you so much to Linda Appel Lipsius for recommending this tea to me, and thanks especially to the growers, pickers, processors, and land for creating such a wonderful tea!

Bonnie

I hope you have some of this on you at the tea festival so that I can mug you!

chadao

I’ll try to bring some…

Bonnie

I have a good one for you or look into my cupboard!(If you dare!)

Jack: (Second Steep for 1min) “It’s alright. It’s like what you would expect. A bit of melon.”
Jason: http://steepster.com/jason/posts/47407

Brewed in Tiny White Teapot

Jason

I just tried some of this that you guys left in the pot…way oversteeped. But that’s not the tea’s fault.

Ricky

I made this tea an hour ago .

Thank you to TeaEqualsBliss for sending me some of this tea.

This is an excellent silver-needle type white. It has an abundant flavor that is slightly grassy but with strong notes of fruit and flower. I am finding it slightly stronger in flavor than a typical silver needle.

I am winding down now… and I like the mild character of this tea and how it calms me.