Earl Grey Black

Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

• “For those of you keeping up with the news, we were one of the 250,000 homes in North Texas without power this weekend. It was off for nearly 36 hours, and things got pretty chilly. The thermostat...” Read full tasting note
    wheezybee 251 tasting notes
  • “What the - how did I not find this in my Steepster cupboard? Well, I've got a headcold, which means lots of fun with stuffed sinuses, blowing my nose, sneezing, knowing I should eat but not...” Read full tasting note
    Aeoliana 299 tasting notes
  • “I found some Earl Greys I hadn't yet tried. This is one of them. I am guessing this is one of the teas of the month. I don't have a memory of ordering it separately but I suppose I could have. ...” Read full tasting note
    __Morgana__ 951 tasting notes
  • “Oh silly me, expecting my insanely high expectations of What An Earl Grey Should Be to be met or exceeded in Sin City. This earl grey sounded promising (no flowers or weird shiz), smelled average...” Read full tasting note
    amber 221 tasting notes

From Teavana

The traditional blend of China Black teas flavored with fragrant bergamot oil. A natural anti-depressant.

How to Prepare
Use 1 teaspoon of tea per 8oz of water. Heat water to 195-205 degrees and steep for 2-3 minutes. 2oz of tea equals 25-30 teaspoons.
Ingredients:
Extra-fine black tea with bergamot oil.

About Teavana View company

For those of you keeping up with the news, we were one of the 250,000 homes in North Texas without power this weekend. It was off for nearly 36 hours, and things got pretty chilly. The thermostat was completely off the scale. We got stuck heading out for emergency supplies, and had to go to the local supermarket instead. Let’s just say that the little fireplace “logs” they sell can’t heat up anything… much less enough for a good cuppa!

I managed to get some tepid water going with a teapot warmer and a tetsubin, but by the time the oolong I grabbed would steep, the water was just a little warmer than I was!

As soon as the power came back on I wanted something quick, something bracing, and something delightfully hot. This was at the front of the cabinet, so it was elected.

The best cup I’ve had all weekend!

Ysaurella

it is so ennoying to spend a day without power, sure you’ll enjpy more your cups just after that

wheezybee

Yes, a whole new appreciation!

What the – how did I not find this in my Steepster cupboard?

Well, I’ve got a headcold, which means lots of fun with stuffed sinuses, blowing my nose, sneezing, knowing I should eat but not really wanting any food, and calling the doctor because I can’t remember if Claritin D and Mucinex conflict or not. (I’ve taken Claritin D.) Fortunately, it seems to have skipped the “sore throat” part, which for me is THE WORST! I’m just hoping it doesn’t go down into my chest. That’s the second worst.

I don’t really have a medicinal tea for colds, so I’m using this as my go-to wake up tea. It’s not as high on my list as most of my other black teas, but I enjoy it and it’s brisk enough to cut through the I-can’t-smell fog. And I get to keep the better teas for when I can actually smell and taste and crave them. : )

And now to return to the least productive morning ever.

Cavocorax

I hope you feel better!

Fjellrev

Feel better soon!

I found some Earl Greys I hadn’t yet tried. This is one of them. I am guessing this is one of the teas of the month. I don’t have a memory of ordering it separately but I suppose I could have. I mostly ordered unusual mixes from Teavana, though so it would be surprising if I chose this.

It’s really hard to enter flavors for Earl Grey with “bergamot” not among the options. ;-) The dry leaves have the characteristic scent, but it’s a more florally than fruity one. The floral notes continue in the steeped tea’s aroma along with a sweet, molasses-like note in the tea. The tea is a pretty color; light brownish orange.

I didn’t know until I read the description of this that this is a natural antidepressant. Cool. Wonder if it’s the bergamot or the tea/bergamot combination?

The flavor is better than I expected. For someone who prefers a light touch on bergamot, this is a solid Earl Grey. The underlying tea is smooth and mild, without any bitterness. The bergamot is just enough to make this taste like an Earl Grey without making my nasal passages scream and my eyes water.

I actually prefer this to the Todd & Holland I’ve been drinking the past few days though I suspect it isn’t as good a tea on an objective measure. It doesn’t have as much depth, but I like it for its mildness. It goes down easy and doesn’t do a number on my stomach. There’s no minerally, metallic or potato-y note to this.

It doesn’t have a lot of personality, but again, that’s what I think is nice about it. It’s just a nice cup of tea. I still prefer the Samovar and ATR versions overall, but they have definite personalities. This is a cup you can just sit with and enjoy without thinking about it. It doesn’t cry out for analysis and appreciation of its complexity. It just is.

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 3 tsp 25 OZ / 750 ML
Sami Kelsh

I was skeptical of the antidepressant claim, and apparently it’s because of the calming effect of bergamot oil. I wouldn’t shelve your Efexor in favour of it, though :p

(That said, I’m scheduling an Earl Grey into my daily rotation…)

Oh silly me, expecting my insanely high expectations of What An Earl Grey Should Be to be met or exceeded in Sin City. This earl grey sounded promising (no flowers or weird shiz), smelled average (if not slightly strange) and tasted even worse (perhaps the tea base). Yep.

Rabs

Oh no! Double tea fail :( :(

Took this to class with me this morning. The chef-instructor brought in doughnuts… This was an excellent accidental pairing with my lemon curd bismark. (My favorite of all doughnuts.)

On a different note, I’ve down-graded this rating a bit. This is a good tea, but since trying it for the first time, I’ve found much better Earl Greys. I’m grading on a curve, I guess.

So I found a bit of this in the back of the cupboard, I was sure I had already finished this up. Well, nope. So I made this iced, since it is still mid to upper 90’s here in NorCal. Iced Earl Grey? Not so bad, the floraly citrusy notes are very crisp, crisper than in hot EG. Still a great aroma, still refreshing.

There is not much left, so I’m going on a Iced EG spree until this is gone. I got this tea ages ago, it can’t be good for much longer.

I’ve been on a mission to clean my tea cupboard, because I went on quite a few tea shopping sprees. I am trying to refrain from buying any more until I empty my cupboard some, but that means my “wanted” list keeps growing longer! It’s a vicious cycle…. :-)

ScottTeaMan

At what point does it become a problem? Don’t ask me…….I’m in the same boat you are! :))

Peggie Bennett

I’m sure a lot of us are!

Backlogging several lovely cups from this past weekend! Lovely Bergamot!

Just alright, my first earl grey and I’m very not impressed. Anyone have something better??

Alphakitty

Have you tried any Earl Grey Creams? If you don’t like straight bergamot it’s a nice, mellower version.

Bethany

Hmmm, I’ll have to give them a try. I like the smell and taste of this tea, but it’s very mild (and I added more tea than it called for).

I always keep a tin full of this stuff. It’s my go-to black tea for iced tea and tea eggs, but rarely drank hot.

Since cutting back on alcohol, I’ve explored the confusing and sometimes blasphemous world of iced tea, only to find failure at every turn. It seems most of my delicious teas are truly meant to be enjoyed hot, but sometimes you just want a nice cold beverage. This tea, along with Teavana’s Moroccan Mint, saved the day, and I always have at least one pitcher of this in the fridge. Good stuff.

Tea junkie

This is also a tea I’ve been wanting to try. I’ve shyed away from it due to reviews about it being to artificially flavored. Should I keep listening or not?

Christopher

I will admit there is artificial flavouring in this tea. Teavana even admits this. But it’s bergamot; it’s almost always going to be artificially flavoured in tea. For the price, you can’t do much better. I suppose it would boil down to weather or not you have an extreme aversion to artificial flavouring. For my part, I do my best to avoid it, but I allow this exception for the greater good… it’s safer than most of the beers I drank.

Thanks to T.C. for this in our swap.

This is an amazingly average Earl Grey. Not too strong. Not too weak. Nothing offensive. Just very average. Maybe slightly better than my go-to Earl Grey, which is the Stash double bergamot. Blah.