Earl Grey Black

Artificial Flavouring, Black Tea
Bergamot, Lavender, Pepper, Malt, Citrusy, Smoke, Tobacco, Jasmine, Tea, Bitter, Tart
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Shae

• “For those of you keeping up with the news, we were one of the 250,000 homes in North Texas without power this weekend. It was off for nearly 36 hours, and things got pretty chilly. The thermostat...” Read full tasting note
    wheezybee 255 tasting notes
  • “What the – how did I not find this in my Steepster cupboard? Well, I’ve got a headcold, which means lots of fun with stuffed sinuses, blowing my nose, sneezing, knowing I should eat but...” Read full tasting note
    Aeoliana 324 tasting notes
  • “Really enjoyable this morning with eggs and toast. It occurs to me that perhaps Earl Greys are best drunk with hearty English style breakfasts. Can’t really improve upon the detail in my...” Read full tasting note
    __Morgana__ 1184 tasting notes
  • “Oh silly me, expecting my insanely high expectations of What An Earl Grey Should Be to be met or exceeded in Sin City. This earl grey sounded promising (no flowers or weird shiz), smelled average...” Read full tasting note
    amber 221 tasting notes

From Teavana

Smooth infusion with bergamot overtones

Famously highbrow and high grown, our Earl Grey is a top-of-the-tier timeless classic. Aromatic bergamot adds a refined tart citrus taste to this dark, full-lead tea with prized tiny silver tips.

Use 1-1.5 tsp of tea per water. Heat water to 195-205 degrees (90-96 degrees Celsius) and steep for 2-3 minutes.

Ingredients: Black tea, artificial flavoring

About Teavana View company

Haven’t drank this tea in quite a long time. And considering I still have three tins of it (from my Starbucks days), I should probably start giving some away…

Anyways, iced tea time! Haven’t made iced tea since I finished off that lovely and convenient bagged English Earl Grey that I brought from Slovakia. Since the weather (finally) turned hot this week, I figured it’s time to make more classic iced tea. This was the only other earl grey blend that I have, but I was wary of trying to use this for iced tea, since this blend gets quite bitter and astringent if left in for too long or overleafed. It’s also very sensitive to proportions and steeping time, so I babysat is closely while in the making.

Didn’t make simple sugar this time, I figured I would start using that 3lbs jar of Belgian Rock Sugar I got years ago from Teavana, which conveniently sits almost full ever since then. A 1:1 teaspoon ratio of sugar to tea works well in this case. After brewing, poured in maybe a teaspoon of organic lemon juice, and presto! I actually liked it so much when I was taste testing it hot that I poured myself half a mug to have now. The only downside is that the astringency really does come through, even with the two teaspoons of rock sugar in it. And it’s not like it doesn’t taste sweet – it does, but the black tea base, for whatever reason, leaves that sandpapery feeling on the tongue no matter what. Whatever, I was kind of expecting this, but I can still make it work- it’s yummy nonetheless. I considered increasing my rating a bit, but this tea needed so much help to be enjoyable (and I still have to overlook that bitterness…) that I decided against it.

Don’t know how long we’ve carried the Teavana Earl Grey at my store, but it’s been a long time and I’ve yet to try it. And Earl Grey is one of my favorite black teas! A smooth, lightly sweet Earl Grey. Would recommend because I would always recommend Earl Grey.

Flavors: Bergamot, Lavender, Pepper

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 16 OZ / 473 ML

I’m visiting my mom, and she had this one in her cupboard (a gift from my sister that my mom would have never opened). I’m not really into Earl Grey or flavored black teas, but this tea is enjoyable. The bergamot flavor is well-balanced, not too overpowering, and it’s solid caffeine-wise…slightly malty, which I like. I wouldn’t purchase it, but I’ll gladly drink it if it’s available. :)

Had this at Starbuck’s today. It was nice. Smooth, floral, slightly spicy, and expensive.

Like many of us on this site I am sure, I love Earl Grey teas. I must admit I was surprised by how good this one is. There is quite a bit of bergamot flavor, which is my favorite part of any Earl Grey. The base tea is smooth, mild and generally unnoticeable. It neither adds anything or takes anything away from the tea.

You can certainly find better Earl Grey teas, but I’m not sure you can at this price. It must be the cheapest tea at Teavana.

these replaced Tazo
After the barista got it wrong (JUST BAG MEANS LATTE APPARENTLY), I had this.

The leaves seemed like okay quality, the strength was meh.
The ****ing tag fell off and the tea bag just sat there and bobbed like a sad submarine, sitting in the harbor, waiting for orders.

The flavor was MEH. then again they added so much cream, and some odd flavour like nutmeg (then again, I had to teach a barista how to make tea. I became sad at that.), it’s hard to say what the flavor was!

caffeine wise, it is very hard to say, as the hit of pure caffeine was hidden behind some ungodly amount of cream.

I had to make a cup of Tapal Danedar at the hotel room just to make sure I was awake.

All in all, not impressed.

THERE WAS ALMOST NO BERGAMOT. I’ve had teas that cost a fraction what I paid and they tasted 100 times better.

Boiling 8 min or more

I tried this as a tea latte at Starbucks today. It seemed like a pleasant, well-balanced earl grey with a strong (but not overpowering) bergamot flavor and a nice robust black base. Nothing too special, but a good breakfast basic.

Flavors: Bergamot, Malt

When you’re in the mood for a straight up, plain, Earl Grey, this does the trick. It’s nothing spectacular, but it’s not terrible. I added milk and a little vanilla flavouring to make the quickie version of a London fog, which I think made this taste better than it would have if I had had it just with plain milk.

This is my favorite tea! I have played around, trying to see if others will top it. Nothing comes close. It’s funny because trying other brands helped me realize what I love so much about Teavana’s Earl Grey Black: over-the-top bergamot. I would be hard-pressed to tell you what other notes are there. Perhaps it’s a little smokey, but most importantly, it’s not malty or floral. Perfection!

Flavors: Bergamot, Citrusy, Smoke, Tobacco

I purchased this tea after the insistence of my sister and her children. They are all big fans of Teavana, but the teas they purchase tend to be so flowery and fruity, you can’t even smell the tea. I figured I would be safe in purchasing Teavana’s straight Earl Grey, but I have been less than satisfied with it.

In the same way that Starbucks sells coffee for people who don’t want to taste the coffee flavor in their coffee, Teavana seems to cater to people who don’t particularly like the flavor of tea leaves. This tea is entirely too flowery and fruity. I can hardly taste the black tea in it at all. As a loose leaf, this Earl Grey pales in comparison to every bagged Earl Grey I’ve ever tasted. When I drink this stuff I taste jasmine (the most prominent flavor in the cup), I taste bergamot, and the only thing I don’t taste is tea.

Flavors: Bergamot, Jasmine