Matcha Japanese Green Tea [New Version]

Green Matcha Blend
Edit tea info Last updated by Terri HarpLady

From Teavana

Since the 12th century, Matcha tea has been celebrated in the traditional Japanese tea ceremony known as Chado, or ‘Way of Tea.’ Using ancient techniques green tea leaves are carefully shaded with straw mats 30 days before picking. The shading allows the tea leaves to become rich in chorophyll and amino acids. Once picked and dried, the leaves are ground into fine bright green Matcha tea powder. Harvested in Nishio, Aichi Prefecture, Japan, this Imperial Grade Matcha is delicious and very high quality. UO Kosher certified.

About Teavana View company

I’m still trying to find out different way to prepare this tea. I don’t have a very good whisk so it sometimes become a little sandy. I like the taste but if I drink to much it can become a little overwhelming. I would love this tea if I could only prepare it right. I always want to try other way of preparing matcha tea in general, so if you have any suggestions please tell me.

Terri HarpLady

Welcome to steepster! I finally broke down & got the whisk. Previously I had used a crappy little egg beater looking thing, & getting the ‘real’ whisk made all the difference in the world. :)

Emily

I finally figured out how to properly make matcha tea. and it’s amazing! I like to add a little bit of honey to it. I swear, I am addicted to this stuff. I want to drink it twice a day, but I only drink it in the mornings to conserve my precious green treasure!

The only matcha I’ve ever tried, and it’s wonderful! The lovely, velvety texture and strong flavour aside, it never fails to lift my spirits and give me a boost of energy

Used about 1/2 of a teaspoon and added a drop of agave. It was perfect. I’m still working on my preparation technique to get it frothy and well mixed. Zig-zag motion apparently is the way to do it. I think it helps. When the matcha powder starts to settle I just move the bowl in a swishy motion. It mixes it up so I can finish it all up. Yumm.

This was my first Matcha experience, so I thought I’d stick with the basics. However, I did do my research and decided to purchase Teavana’s bamboo whisk to ensure proper blending. I would say that this has been an overall positive experience. I like it a little thicker than the Barista at Teavana made it for me, but it does have a very crisp and fresh flavor. I love the health benefits and heard that although it’s high in caffeine it doesn’t provide a jolt like coffee does, but rather gives a sustained energy over the course of 5-8 hours. I can’t wait to start experimenting with matcha lattes and smoothies, and to try the Pure Matcha you all have said such nice things about!

EDIT: I just made my first Matcha Latte, and I think I’m in love. I used the recipe on matchasource.com, and it is quite a treat!

I find this matcha surprisingly hard to mix…even using a Magic Bullet or blender. I found myself having to constantly remix or shake my drinks.

The flavor was pretty good but I was not blown away because compared to other matcha powders I’ve tried, Teavana’s is too expensive for the quality/taste.

Try mixing this with some unsweetened rice milk instead of water for a more robust flavor. I’m planning on mixing the matcha with some ice cream soon to make my own green tea ice cream.

Kristen Lucia

green tea ice cream…awesome.

Brett Floyd

I find if I sift it like flower it mixes much better

I drink matcha on rare occasions and never by itself, I mostly use it to mix in small amounts with sencha when I want something different or (in even rarer occasions) make a matcha latte.

Definitely not a bad matcha. It is a little harder to mix that other versions I’ve had but not too bad. I do think, however, that Tevanna’s is fairly overpriced.

When i first started drinking this i was not a huge fan. But now I have this every morning. This is always my first tea and then i follow it with something else.

My original problem with it was that i was not making it correctly. I always had clumps of powder. I tried a couple of different tools and ended up using an small egg beater. I also only poured in a little water at a time and then mixed it, then more water and so on. I think it is a little pricey, but at the same time it does last a long time.

teatoad

Update: I figured out what to do. Normally i put the Matcha in the cup and then all of the water. But i have been playing around with this. This is the way that worked best for me. Put the Matcha in the cup, and then add a little water (just enough to cover the bottom). Mix that in then add a little more water. I did this a couple more times till all of the water is in the cup.

For me this made a HUGE difference. The taste is much better and i have no more dry clumps. I also have been using a small egg whisk (a mini whisk).

Last night I tried to make a matcha shake. (matcha, milk, ice and sugar). Not bad at all.

I’ve been wanting to try matcha for some time now, but always hesitated when I saw the price. I feel bad enough when I order something from DAVIDsTEA that I don’t like, I couldn’t imagine the guilt associated with ordering matcha and then hating it. Eek.

I had dinner at my best friend’s house this weekend, and she mentioned she had matcha. And then made me a cup of this.

It’s vegetal but smooth, and surprisingly tasty. Even without sugar or fun flavorings, I really enjoyed my cup of this. I didn’t even mind the particulate in the bottom of my cup, which is usually a no-no for me.

I’m so happy I got to try this and I’m even happier that I liked it! Now I can place a Red Leaf Teas order without worrying!

… Flavor suggestions anyone? :-)

Admittedly, I’m still new to matcha but I have to say Teavana’s makes a really delicious cup of tea. Most of the time I use it for matcha lattes but I also like to add a pinch to sencha – especially on subsequent infusions – for a nice flavor (and color) boost.

The tea itself produces a lovely vibrant green liqueur and has a creamy mouth feel. I like how easily it froths up leaving behind no grit at the bottom of your cup. But be careful…it can become astringent if you use too much or if your water temperature is too hot.

Teavana recommends brewing at 175 F which I find made the tea bitter. Instead I stick to 160 F and use a ratio of about 3/4 tsp tea to 3-4 oz water. For lattes, I add 3 oz of steamed milk and sometimes a light drizzle of honey over the top.

Although it’s supposed to deliver a fair amount of caffeine, I don’t really feel it’s effect. Might just be me though because I’m so used to having coffee in the morning. This is only my second matcha so my palette will likely evolve as I continue exploring other brands and higher grade teas. That said, this is a solid everyday matcha that I will continue drinking in the future. Another plus is that it’s USDA certified organic, one of the few legit organic Teavana teas.

160 °F / 71 °C

I tried this matcha as I was almost out and the order of my regular brand hadn’t yet arrived.
They list the grade as “Imperial” so I was rather skeptical of the quality, as most descriptions go for “ceremonial” grade for regular drinking quality and either “premium” or “culinary” for better or lesser grades respectively.

The matcha has a slightly sharper scent than the ceremonial grade I have used previously, but still a nice vibrant green powder. Seems a little clumpier in the tin also.

I used 2 bamboo scoops of matcha to 3 oz water; prepared by sifting the matcha first, then mixing in a small bit of water to dissolve and finally adding the remaining water and whisking. This matcha did not sift as easily, perhaps it is not as finely ground. It made a very good froth.

Taste- better than I had expected; vegetal and smooth, but a slight detectable astringency and slightly chalky mouth feel when compared to ceremonial and premium grades. It’s not bad at all, could be better but probably not for the price. I will most likely splurge on another brand’s ceremonial matcha for the future, but this makes a decent cup on a budget, and that helps because I’m drinking a lot of it!