Matcha Japanese Green Tea [New Version]

Green Matcha Blend
Grass, Green, Green Beans, Green Wood, Bitter
Edit tea info Last updated by Terri HarpLady

From Teavana

Since the 12th century, Matcha tea has been celebrated in the traditional Japanese tea ceremony known as Chado, or ‘Way of Tea.’ Using ancient techniques green tea leaves are carefully shaded with straw mats 30 days before picking. The shading allows the tea leaves to become rich in chorophyll and amino acids. Once picked and dried, the leaves are ground into fine bright green Matcha tea powder. Harvested in Nishio, Aichi Prefecture, Japan, this Imperial Grade Matcha is delicious and very high quality. UO Kosher certified.

About Teavana View company

I’ve been wanting to try matcha for some time now, but always hesitated when I saw the price. I feel bad enough when I order something from DAVIDsTEA that I don’t like, I couldn’t imagine the guilt associated with ordering matcha and then hating it. Eek.

I had dinner at my best friend’s house this weekend, and she mentioned she had matcha. And then made me a cup of this.

It’s vegetal but smooth, and surprisingly tasty. Even without sugar or fun flavorings, I really enjoyed my cup of this. I didn’t even mind the particulate in the bottom of my cup, which is usually a no-no for me.

I’m so happy I got to try this and I’m even happier that I liked it! Now I can place a Red Leaf Teas order without worrying!

… Flavor suggestions anyone? :-)

Admittedly, I’m still new to matcha but I have to say Teavana’s makes a really delicious cup of tea. Most of the time I use it for matcha lattes but I also like to add a pinch to sencha – especially on subsequent infusions – for a nice flavor (and color) boost.

The tea itself produces a lovely vibrant green liqueur and has a creamy mouth feel. I like how easily it froths up leaving behind no grit at the bottom of your cup. But be careful…it can become astringent if you use too much or if your water temperature is too hot.

Teavana recommends brewing at 175 F which I find made the tea bitter. Instead I stick to 160 F and use a ratio of about 3/4 tsp tea to 3-4 oz water. For lattes, I add 3 oz of steamed milk and sometimes a light drizzle of honey over the top.

Although it’s supposed to deliver a fair amount of caffeine, I don’t really feel it’s effect. Might just be me though because I’m so used to having coffee in the morning. This is only my second matcha so my palette will likely evolve as I continue exploring other brands and higher grade teas. That said, this is a solid everyday matcha that I will continue drinking in the future. Another plus is that it’s USDA certified organic, one of the few legit organic Teavana teas.

160 °F / 71 °C

I tried this matcha as I was almost out and the order of my regular brand hadn’t yet arrived.
They list the grade as “Imperial” so I was rather skeptical of the quality, as most descriptions go for “ceremonial” grade for regular drinking quality and either “premium” or “culinary” for better or lesser grades respectively.

The matcha has a slightly sharper scent than the ceremonial grade I have used previously, but still a nice vibrant green powder. Seems a little clumpier in the tin also.

I used 2 bamboo scoops of matcha to 3 oz water; prepared by sifting the matcha first, then mixing in a small bit of water to dissolve and finally adding the remaining water and whisking. This matcha did not sift as easily, perhaps it is not as finely ground. It made a very good froth.

Taste- better than I had expected; vegetal and smooth, but a slight detectable astringency and slightly chalky mouth feel when compared to ceremonial and premium grades. It’s not bad at all, could be better but probably not for the price. I will most likely splurge on another brand’s ceremonial matcha for the future, but this makes a decent cup on a budget, and that helps because I’m drinking a lot of it!

I’m surprised at how clumpy this is! Nabbed it from Teavana to see if their matcha is worth hollering about… guess I’ll have to grab some higher end matchas to compare, but this’ll do for now. ;)

Typically, I’ve been adding sweetened condensed milk (for a sweet matcha milk), and it comes out very creamy and pleasant. By itself, it seems not very bitter if the right amounts are used, and the color is cloudy green… not very dark. So far, I’ve been enjoying it hot instead of my coffee, but it lends itself well to cold (milk tea) as well.

175 °F / 79 °C

i add this to ice cream and soy milk for the best green tea milkshake :D