Cha Yen Thai

Black Rooibos Blend
Anise, Spices, Fruity, Caramel, Cinnamon, Coconut, Cream, Vanilla, Apple, Cloves, Cocoa, Pineapple
Edit tea info Last updated by Debbie

• “FOREWARNING: I just finished writing this, and it's VERY long. So please don't feel like you have to suffer through it. Blame it on my hankering to avoid my homework and not writing a review for...” Read full tasting note
    ianerickson 119 tasting notes
  • “1 tbsp. leaf prepared latte style on the stove, using milk and brown sugar. I haven't had this in forever, but was in the mood for a nontraditional type of chai tonight, and remembered...” Read full tasting note
    kellyhinton 779 tasting notes
  • “Hello Steepster! I hope everyone has been doing well. I am finally back after a break. No tea was had for the past few weeks b/c I was sick and overwhelmed. If there was anyone I got behind on...” Read full tasting note
    Tamm 538 tasting notes
  • “I love Thai iced tea. It's one of the reasons I am always convincing people to go get Thai food with me. Well... that and the food, which I adore. Massaman curry, oh yeah! I've always wanted to...” Read full tasting note
    Alphakitty 470 tasting notes

From Teavana

This is Teavana’s interpretation of the popular Thai iced tea blend famous throughout the world. It is a rich combination of Assam black tea and Rooibos tea blended with star-anise, almonds and a bevy of traditional Thai spices. Recommended that you brew it strong for a cup that can be served over ice or combined with milk (or condensed milk) for a flavorful treat. Contains nuts.

About Teavana View company

Oh… Oh my. Color me pleasantly surprised. Looking at the ingredients list I had been all prepared for another snarky “Oh look, it’s another Teavana candy-tea” review. And as most Teavana teas are, it is very sweet. Open the package and the scent of an almond cookie wafts right out.

But the ingredients are intruiging: pink peppercorns, entire star anise, slivered almonds. Brewed up to a lovely deep amber, it’s like sipping on a delicious almond spice cookie, and I love it. I can see the chai, kind of, and I can see the thai, kind of, but really let’s call a spade a spade. This is a cookie tea, and a tasty, complex and drinkable cookie tea. It’s plenty sweet with no extra sugar needed. I’m enjoying the combination of red and black tea. It makes for very good sipping.

You’ve done right on this one, Teavana. Let’s hope you can make more like this.

It has been a long time since I have crossed paths with this tea. It is easy to overlook teas in my out of control amount of tea. It smells a little soapy and a hint of that is coming through in the taste. I’m guessing the culprit is the old coconut. I’m hit with a wave of spices mingling with tropical fruit flavors. It is nice despite it’s age. It doesn’t remind me anything of Thai tea, but that is okay. I’m noticing rooibos being much more tolerable when blended with other teas and that is definitely the case in this tea. I really enjoy this tea, but I won’t be sad when it is gone since I have so many other teas I like more.

Enjoying this Cha yen Thai tea mixed with Black dragon pearls also from Teavana (1 tsp. black dragon to 2 tsp. cha yen). It makes a very nice Thai iced tea with milk and sugar. And I love Thai food and Thai tea, so this is yummy. However, I am having serious cravings now that I am on Steepster for some “non-Teavana” teas—I can tell there is big budget breaker coming up in my future in the tea category lol!

Flavors: Anise, Spices

boychik

Stay strong!

TeaGirl

Thank you! I fear for the future tho lol—I already have 50 new teas on my wish list! I’m just hoping I don’t end up at like 300 eventually and then have to sleep on the floor so my tea and my dogs can have the bed lol!

sundaysipping

I think that a collection that size would warrant a room of its own. You know, so you dont have to sleep on the floor. :-)

TeaGirl

Maybe my tea and my books can share a room lol—my books definitely need a room of their own lol! :)

sundaysipping

A library with a dedicated tea area? Sounds like heaven to me.

I agree! :)

I have been enjoying this tea as an cold brew. I only had a bit hot and I wasn’t particularly excited. As a cold brew, the cinnamon drops down a bit and the fruit flavors come up. I cold brewed it for about 18 hours. Sweetened with stevia.
It would be helpful to have steeping instructions for cold brew on our notes.

Flavors: Fruity

Iced 12 tsp 64 OZ / 1892 ML

1945 tasting notes

So I have lots of this because I received it from both VariaTEA and 221tea and I wasn’t sure what to do with it or where to start, so when I smelled it and thought it was kinda fruity I figured I’d cold brew the portion from VariaTEA and hope for the best.

I brought it to work and I could not resist going back to the staff room and drinking it when I should have been working and doing stock or other stuff. I thought it was really delicious! I should note; at this point I had not looked up the ingredients and I had no idea what was in it.

If I’d had to guess I would have listed things like: cinnamon, coconut, pineapple, apple, caramel, vanilla…

Now that I am looking at the list I’m not too far off on some things: there is coconut and pineapple (probably why I liked it so much) but ginger and star anise? Never would have guessed that, and I’m standing by those caramel and vanilla dessert type notes!

Honestly, I look forward to finishing this up (probably as a cold brew) but while it was really good I don’t know if the hassle of dealing with Teavana is worth seeking out more of this (just like how I feel about Caramel Almond Amaretti) so it’s probably not a restock…

Flavors: Caramel, Cinnamon, Coconut, Cream, Vanilla

Anna

Maybe I should start offering my services as a Teavana Store Buffer. I’d distract the staff and everyone could shop in peace.

carol who

LOL! Good plan. Will you go to each store in the chain in a certain sequence or just on demand? We could have a Traveling Teavana Buffer!

I absolutely love Thai Iced Tea from Thai food places. I would say that this isn’t like any of the Thai iced tea I’ve ever gotten, but that’s not a bad thing at all. This stuff is seriously amazing— even my non-tea-drinking friends love this stuff.

It has a very distinct spicy, nutty flavor that does make an excellent iced tea, but this stuff really shines HOT, and with sweetened condensed milk.

I also steep this twice, despite suggestions saying not to. The second steep is a VERY different flavor, but it’s amazing in different ways— the pineapple really shines through on the second steep while the anise and the nutty flavors take a back seat.

Recommended at the Teavana Store at Lex & 87th in NYC. They prepared it for me with honey.

OK I’ll admit it – this is one of my guilty pleasure teas. I have a local Teavana – I don’t like it, don’t like the clerks, it’s not fun there. What I do like is this tea. LOL I just keep it on my wish list and people just keep sending me samples here and there. That’s just fine with me, I get to indulge here and there. This sample came from the most generous VariaTEA Thank you so much.

This is spicy, and sweet yet it’s odd. Bit of a crazy little tea that I really like here and there.

VariaTEA

I am glad you enjoyed it. I had a bunch and really was not enjoying it so I was happy to pass it along

I like this tea straight or in my homemade Malaysian latte. I love Chai lattes and this one is no exception. This is the tea that got me drinking black tea again. I hadn’t realized that all black teas did not taste like Lipton bagged tea.

I know many don’t like Teavana teas, but they are what got me into the whole tea thing.