Gyokuro Genmaicha Green Tea

Green Tea
Nutty, Earth
Edit tea info Last updated by CHAroma

• “Decupboarding - the hard way! I took this to work to finish it off, unfortunately when I was on the bus the can spilled out all over the bottom of my bag and created a huge mess. There's no use...” Read full tasting note
    amyoh2 2353 tasting notes
  • “Second Tasting Note. After my exciting Gyokuro tasting at Happy Luckys Tea House a few days ago, using the *Shinoba Cha* method of extracting flavor from the leaves by letting ice melt over them...” Read full tasting note
    bonniejohnstone 673 tasting notes
  • “I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack. Long time no see Steepsterites! I had a lot of fun at New Englands but now I'm back and excited to start drinking tea again. So, I have a confession to make. And...” Read full tasting note
    ianerickson 119 tasting notes
  • “Thank you, *KallieBoo!* This is one I've always been curious about because it seems like an odd mixture. A typically expensive green as a genmaicha. I guess maybe it makes sense, but I'd rather...” Read full tasting note
    pandamanda 1196 tasting notes

From Teavana

The exceptional top tier Gyokuro Imperial is intuitively paired with toasted brown “genmaicha” rice resulting in a highly aromatic medium bodied green tea blend. This remarkably fragrant medley is sweetly soft and carries a light nutty fragrant taste.

Lightly nutty infused with a sweet soft fragrance and taste.

About Teavana View company

Not a bad Genmaicha, but it just seemed to lack a true clear flavour to make it distinctive and savoury….detected a slight metallic taste.

Finally found my way to the local Teavana store. It’s in a mall renowned for its complicated geography and massive crowds. I got lucky with a parking space, too!

Anyway – I went in with this tea as my specific goal. Like others, I thought it was odd to use a high-quality green in this mix, but oh, my this is wonderful! Definitely will be getting more. There is a pronounced salty, buttery quality to the flavor. Not even a hint of bitterness. I haven’t had good luck with second steepings of genmaicha in the past, but I’m going to try it with this one.

Lovely tea! Pleasantly sweet, very smooth. A very soft nori taste – gentle enough that I actually like it. I can taste the rice at the end of each sip, but it’s only mildly toasty. I wouldn’t say this is complex, exactly, but there’s a lot of depth. No unpleasant flavours that I can detect, even the aftertaste is very nice. My opinions on other Teavana teas have ranged from “pretty good” to “get it away from me”- this, however, is gold.

I always order this as a hot cup to-go when I am near a Teavana. I seriously dream about this tea. The smell, the taste… It’s bliss. I enjoy that there are no “popcorn” pieces and that they use gyokuro instead of sencha. That is what makes this tea magic, I think. I dislike the cost, but honestly, it’s worth it.

I tend to forget about this tea in my collection, but as soon as I open up that tin and give it a whiff I remember why I fell in love with it. It tastes creamy, nutty, and oh so scrumptious with a little sugar. However, the price is a wee bit much for something that is well, stretched. But nevertheless, this is a great tea which makes me want to buy it. Warning I’m about to go a little bit on a Teavana rant. I’m not happy with the whole minimum amount to purchase at Teavana, in having to drop 10 bucks just for 1 tea when at other local shops I can let’s say get 25 grams of a tea I know and love, then get maybe 10 of something here 10 there. Especially the whole GET A TIN routine they have why the heck would I get a 7.50 tin when I can get another tea for that price in a bag, especially when their competitors have tins for 2.50 and well let’s be serious I keep most of my tea in dollarama tins which look just as cute and keep my tea fresh perfectly.Don’t even get me started when I asked for 50 grams and I got 78 without even asking if that’s okay, ARE YOU SERIOUS. What keeps me going back, very seldomly I add, is basically this favourite which says something about how great this tea is.

I’m not always in the mood for this, and sometimes forget I have it, but it’s such a nice light tea.

Normally I’ll make a small Yixing pot of this and let it sit for a little while after it’s steeped. I am a sweet tea drinker by nature, but I will only add honey to this on occasion. The Gyokuro doesn’t quite lend to a sweet tea taste.

Steep a t per 8 oz for 45 secs at 175.

It has a smooth, nutty flavor, coupled with a nice vegetal flavor.

I have it every day at work to remind me winter won’t last forever, haha.