Gyokuro Genmaicha Green Tea

Green Tea
Creamy, Sweet, warm grass, Toasted Rice, Umami, Butter, Earth, Grass, Nutty
Edit tea info Last updated by CHAroma

From Teavana

The exceptional top tier Gyokuro Imperial is intuitively paired with toasted brown “genmaicha” rice resulting in a highly aromatic medium bodied green tea blend. This remarkably fragrant medley is sweetly soft and carries a light nutty fragrant taste.

Lightly nutty infused with a sweet soft fragrance and taste.

About Teavana View company

Not my favorite genmaicha tea out there, but not a bad choice either. I found this one a bit too sweet to have that ideal contrast between the green tea and the toasted rice. But other than that, it’s a nice mix—the green tea is very smooth and refreshing.

Boiling 1 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML

I used my Starbucks reward to get an ounce of this tea. Usually, I go for biggest bang for my buck (aka reward), but I have just run out of all genmaicha in my stash, which is unacceptable to me. So I went for this tea as a filler until I can order more genmaicha. Anyway, I first wanted to comment on how little tea there is in comparison to the rice. In my ounce, I feel like it’s 90% rice, 10% green tea. Perhaps it is just the way that the girl helping me was scooping it from the tin?

Because of the little tea to rice ratio, I used a heaping tablespoon in my teapot (enough for 3 mugs of tea). It did have quite a tasty rice flavor, but I wasn’t quite happy with the green tea base. Not only was there not enough of it, but the flavor itself was very murky compared to the clean flavors that I have come to expect of Japanese green teas. Don’t get me wrong, it wasn’t a terrible tea, but I think I’ve just had so many other better genmaichas that I felt picky about it.

There are times when I just need a break from floral and fruity oolongs. Sometimes I just need something savory, and genmaicha will always be my go to. This may be the best genmaicha I have tried so far. Granted, the only other kinds I have tried were from teabags. Today I had it with a dusting of some of my matcha I got as a sample from Beautiful Taiwan Tea Company. I brewed it western style in my French press. For some reason though, after I infused the hot tea for my thermos, The gyokuro wanted me to do more. I decided to pour 12 oz of ice cold filtered water over it to let it steep while I was at work. The leaves were calling to me I guess. They sure weren’t finished with me yet. I am quite glad that I did too. The iced green tea I came home to was clear and bright, perhaps better than the hot version I drank earlier that day. But something was still nagging at me. I knew the leaves still had one last trick up its sleeve. I had some rice in my Zojirushi keeping warm that begged to be eaten. I tossed the leaves on top and ate it along with a fried egg. Delicious!
I suppose where I was going with the story is because Teavanna uses a really nice base for this tea, it made it possible for me to have a sort of a giving tree experience with it. Gyokuro is a kind, high quality force to be reckoned with. I liked spending the day with this tea, in its many forms. A fun change from all the Taiwanese oolongs I’ve been obsessed with as of late!

Flavors: Creamy, Sweet, warm grass, Toasted Rice, Umami

175 °F / 79 °C 1 min, 30 sec 1 tsp

Gyokuro Genmaicha…
I was terrified of this tea to begin with… I not particularly big on Green Tea as a Whole, besides a few exceptions. This did catch me quite off guard. Its so… Baked Goods-ish. I really wasn’t expecting this. The brown rice add a nice “down home” feel to the flavor of this tea. I did feel like i wanted to eat it though… which is odd.

Flavors: Butter, Earth, Grass, Toasted Rice

Like 100% I steeped this wrong. I boiled the water at 190 instead of 170, then steeped it for a minute and a half. It would be a good genmaicha if it weren’t for the burnt flavor in the back of my mouth when I drink this…I need to redo this I think. xD So I won’t rate it or anything xD

Sarsonator

The Burninator!

Ost

xD Yup hahah

Marzipan

Burninating the countryside.

mj

And the Trogdor comes in the NIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT!!!!!

Ost

Haha wow you guys xD

Marzipan

Getting our geek on.

Not a bad Genmaicha, but it just seemed to lack a true clear flavour to make it distinctive and savoury….detected a slight metallic taste.

Finally found my way to the local Teavana store. It’s in a mall renowned for its complicated geography and massive crowds. I got lucky with a parking space, too!

Anyway – I went in with this tea as my specific goal. Like others, I thought it was odd to use a high-quality green in this mix, but oh, my this is wonderful! Definitely will be getting more. There is a pronounced salty, buttery quality to the flavor. Not even a hint of bitterness. I haven’t had good luck with second steepings of genmaicha in the past, but I’m going to try it with this one.

Lovely tea! Pleasantly sweet, very smooth. A very soft nori taste – gentle enough that I actually like it. I can taste the rice at the end of each sip, but it’s only mildly toasty. I wouldn’t say this is complex, exactly, but there’s a lot of depth. No unpleasant flavours that I can detect, even the aftertaste is very nice. My opinions on other Teavana teas have ranged from “pretty good” to “get it away from me”- this, however, is gold.

I always order this as a hot cup to-go when I am near a Teavana. I seriously dream about this tea. The smell, the taste… It’s bliss. I enjoy that there are no “popcorn” pieces and that they use gyokuro instead of sencha. That is what makes this tea magic, I think. I dislike the cost, but honestly, it’s worth it.

I tend to forget about this tea in my collection, but as soon as I open up that tin and give it a whiff I remember why I fell in love with it. It tastes creamy, nutty, and oh so scrumptious with a little sugar. However, the price is a wee bit much for something that is well, stretched. But nevertheless, this is a great tea which makes me want to buy it. Warning I’m about to go a little bit on a Teavana rant. I’m not happy with the whole minimum amount to purchase at Teavana, in having to drop 10 bucks just for 1 tea when at other local shops I can let’s say get 25 grams of a tea I know and love, then get maybe 10 of something here 10 there. Especially the whole GET A TIN routine they have why the heck would I get a 7.50 tin when I can get another tea for that price in a bag, especially when their competitors have tins for 2.50 and well let’s be serious I keep most of my tea in dollarama tins which look just as cute and keep my tea fresh perfectly.Don’t even get me started when I asked for 50 grams and I got 78 without even asking if that’s okay, ARE YOU SERIOUS. What keeps me going back, very seldomly I add, is basically this favourite which says something about how great this tea is.