Golden Monkey Black Tea

Bitter, Cocoa, Honey
Edit tea info Last updated by SeanLeBreton

From Teavana

The finest China black from the Fujian province. This smooth tea with complex chocolaty undertones is extremely low in tannins, yet rich in flavor.

About Teavana View company

I happened to get this tea on a whim during Teavana’s big annual tea sale, and I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it! I would agree with others who have noted that they couldn’t really detect any chocolate flavor, but it was sweet and malty and altogether wonderful so I can’t complain.

I only wish I had more…sadly that stash of tea is long gone. I enjoyed each and every cup I drank, and the fond memory still remains with me. I will have to get this one again someday, although my priority is for teas that are organic, whenever possible, so we’ll see.

Although teavana irritates me to death, this is an essential black tea for any tea fan out there.

Ovy Ortega

I know what you mean. They sell tea like used cars and bought by Starbucks. Now that does give me a certain tea bitterness.

Ok, this is weird. My second steep of this Monkey has far outweighed the first. It has no bite, surely no caffeeine, but it has bloomed incredibly. The malt and maple are deeper now and I sense something more than the original tea itself. The color is the same, perhaps lighter, more red than black. But the taste is the same but without the caffeine film.
It could be that the caffeine masks the full flavor of tea?
Can it be that the shadow is better than the caster?

This is how black teas should taste. Although I am drinking it with Earl Grey White Tea by Teavana which makes a good mix since the bergamot makes a transition of simple black tea into some sort of breakfast tea.

So, I went by the Teavana again. Mainly because I had time before the bus again. I was curious, and they had this sample. Don’t really like the way they do their teas in store sometimes. It smelled vaguely like cocoa. Though the flavour came across as a bit bitter, and it was not really the right temperature for me. At least I got to try it free.

Flavors: Bitter, Cocoa

Cheri

free tea. bonus!

K S

Do they sell samples in store? I have only been in a store twice and never felt the need to buy – but I probably would buy a few samples, just to see what I thought.

Lariel of Lórien

Not for sale, but they do have brewed samples to try in store.

A fine black tea, with good flavour and good aroma, it has cocoa undertones and I would say a slightly honey taste to it.

Flavors: Cocoa, Honey

Stephanie

This one is really tasty!

Golden Monkey is the best black I have had. Perfect in every cup-great to blend with other teas. Chocolatey, deep flavors-encouraging and fresh.

The water was a little hot so it was a little bitter, but the second brew brought out some great flavors.

Probably the best black tea I’ve ever had. Tastes smooth and flavorful. Full. The past two times, it has been amazing in my yixing tumbler, but it was a little bitter/nothing too special all the other times. Maybe I’ve been using too hot of water? Need to get the perfect water boiler!

This is one of the finest black teas around. Smooth and refreshing. If you are looking for a strong, bold, high tannin black tea then this one isn’t for you. This tea can be steeped multiple times, not so great after the 3rd steep though.