Silver Needle

White Tea
Autumn Leaf Pile, Corn Husk, Grass, Honey
Edit tea info Last updated by Oolonga

From Teavana

Also known as Yin Zhen, this well guarded secret of Chinese emperors is a rare delicacy for a Western table. The most tender white downy tea buds are harvested only two days out of each year using the centuries old techniques of Imperial Gathering. This exceptional tea was reserved for the Chinese imperial family until just a few decades ago when it became available to the general public. Famous for its subtle taste, pale infusion, and extraordinary purity.

About Teavana View company

I love Silver Needle. That is all.

This is one of my all-time favorite low-caffeine teas; it’s very delicate and lightly smoky. I love this as a pre-bedtime relaxing tea, but it’s also great in the afternoon. The flavor is so soft that it really should be drunk on its own – not a tea to drink with a meal.

Honestly…
At first I loved this tea, my first white tea experience. Several pots and fresh brews later, I wonder if it was good because of the marketing hype that I wanted to believe, and had invested so much money in this purchase.
Did I buy real Silver Needles? There is no white feathering on these ‘sticks’.
So. I shall try buying from a different source, David’s Tea, and see what happens.
Thank you Steepsters!!!

Subtle and delicate, a tea to be examined thoughtfully. Lots of little things going on: a hay-like, dry grass note, even a mild cedar tone. Think mild summer nights and clean, open air in a cup.

The type of tea that you drink in silence or with a good book.

I spent so much money on this tea that I reserved it for special occasions. However, those are few and far between and as I got more tea, this one got forgotten. I made a cup this morning and it seemed flat; wasn’t very interesting like it should be but just blah. I think it has gone bad :(

This tea is great when you’re feeling under the weather. I added it to all my tea when I was fighting off a head cold, and definitely felt a lot better for it. On its own, it has an extremely soft, slightly grassy flavour. This is a subtle tea that I mainly use for blending.

Really the perfect tea when you are looking for a subtle and light tasting drink. Good for reflecting and relaxing.

Relaxed this evening with the husband drinking a pot of one of my all time favorites, Silver Needle. I generally drink this tea without mixing it (as I am completely drawn to its delicate flavors of honey and grassy notes) however, tonight I mixed it with a little Peach Tranquillity. It was a nice mix, but I felt that the peach over powered the flavors that I enjoy savoring in the Silver Needle. I think I will stick to steeping it alone …

Pretty sure I got an old batch, next time I go into a teavana I’ll try to exchange it per their policy. This was my first silver needle ever, so at first I just followed their instructions.

What I got was a cup of barnyard hay and wet straw, kind of like walking through the farm animal exhibits at a county fair, not really much else. For the price of 2oz I could have bought an entire bale of straw from a local farmer and made 50-gallon drums of this stuff. Perplexed, I thought “hmm, maybe there’s some trick to this” and scoured the internet for more info. At first, I thought I was being a dufus and overbrewing it, but trying much shorter infusions, different temperatures from 100-190F (even went nozomi gyokuro style and tried room temp water once for 15 mins), nothing but hay and straw. So I figured, “hmmm.. guess I just don’t like white tea..”

Then I had some good fresh whites from a few other sources and voila! I love whites!

So long story short, based on all the other positive reviews I’m reading here and now that I know what to look for, I’m pretty sure I got an old batch and need to go back to switch out what I have. Until I do though, this is getting an appropriate rating.

Flavors: Autumn Leaf Pile, Corn Husk, Grass

Very clean taste. For me, I like it a bit stronger so I find myself adding more tea when I brew.