Silver Needle

White Tea
Honeysuckle, Straw, Cream, Floral, Hay, Honey, Chestnut, Citrusy, Cut grass, Earth, Autumn Leaf Pile, Corn Husk, Grass
Bulk, Loose Leaf
Edit tea info Last updated by 35mmfilm

From Teavana

Also known as Yin Zhen, this well guarded secret of Chinese emperors is a rare delicacy for a Western table. The most tender white downy tea buds are harvested only two days out of each year using the centuries old techniques of Imperial Gathering. This exceptional tea was reserved for the Chinese imperial family until just a few decades ago when it became available to the general public. Famous for its subtle taste, pale infusion, and extraordinary purity.

About Teavana View company

I love Silver Needle. That is all.

This is one of my all-time favorite low-caffeine teas; it’s very delicate and lightly smoky. I love this as a pre-bedtime relaxing tea, but it’s also great in the afternoon. The flavor is so soft that it really should be drunk on its own – not a tea to drink with a meal.

At first I loved this tea, my first white tea experience. Several pots and fresh brews later, I wonder if it was good because of the marketing hype that I wanted to believe, and had invested so much money in this purchase.
Did I buy real Silver Needles? There is no white feathering on these ‘sticks’.
So. I shall try buying from a different source, David’s Tea, and see what happens.
Thank you Steepsters!!!

Subtle and delicate, a tea to be examined thoughtfully. Lots of little things going on: a hay-like, dry grass note, even a mild cedar tone. Think mild summer nights and clean, open air in a cup.

The type of tea that you drink in silence or with a good book.

I spent so much money on this tea that I reserved it for special occasions. However, those are few and far between and as I got more tea, this one got forgotten. I made a cup this morning and it seemed flat; wasn’t very interesting like it should be but just blah. I think it has gone bad :(

This tea is great when you’re feeling under the weather. I added it to all my tea when I was fighting off a head cold, and definitely felt a lot better for it. On its own, it has an extremely soft, slightly grassy flavour. This is a subtle tea that I mainly use for blending.

Really the perfect tea when you are looking for a subtle and light tasting drink. Good for reflecting and relaxing.

this is the tea that is introducing me into loose leaf teas. i always buy the bags of white tea from stash, and always wondered what the “good stuff” tasted like. so i bought this and was pleasantly surprised.

i use a 4 oz gaiwan, and about 2 tsp of buds, at 170 degrees, infusing about 45 seconds each time until i notice a drop in flavor, and add about 15-30 seconds after that.

this tea has the taste you would expect of a white tea, the light notes of straw, but fresh, good straw. it also has faint notes of honeysuckle, though depending on how you brew it, this will change to a very light taste of sweet corn.

all in all, i was pleasantly surprised with the difference in the taste of bagged and loose leaf. i find that i like a stronger flavor than is apparently standard, so i simply use a little more leaf. this is an excellent tea, as long as you keep in mind it IS a white tea, and will not Gibbslap you over the head with flavor.

Flavors: Honeysuckle, Straw

Nice light grassy taste with subtle nutty undertones; very subtle. Very enjoyable.

Question: does anyone know how to mark this tea as “available”? It definitely is.

My review:
This is a wonderfully delicate tea in flavor. Gentle and refined. Not one to drink if you’re looking to be smacked in the mouth with flavor.

In the cup, it comes out a light, slightly orange-ish tan color. The first aroma I get is floral. I’d say Jasmine, but I’m not much of a flower guy. A soft, pleasing scent. A definite sweetness: apricots and honey. There’s a slight taste of straw/hay as well. And a light creaminess, a splash of dairy, in the flavor. Although the texture is not creamy, simply pure like spring water. After a bit more steeping, a bright somewhat acidic note starts to emerge, like the feel of citrus, but not actually citrus flavor.

I’d say this is perfect for drinking on a mid-Spring morning. It goes with sitting back as warm, gentle breezes carry the smell of growing things to you.

It’s also great for blending. I tried it with Sencha, and it added a nice softness to the flavor.

Although undoubtedly overpriced, if you’re looking for a white tea, it’s not a bad choice.

Flavors: Cream, Floral, Hay, Honey