Silver Needle

White Tea
Honeysuckle, Straw, Cream, Floral, Hay, Honey, Chestnut, Citrusy, Cut grass, Earth, Autumn Leaf Pile, Corn Husk, Grass
Bulk, Loose Leaf
Edit tea info Last updated by 35mmfilm

From Teavana

Also known as Yin Zhen, this well guarded secret of Chinese emperors is a rare delicacy for a Western table. The most tender white downy tea buds are harvested only two days out of each year using the centuries old techniques of Imperial Gathering. This exceptional tea was reserved for the Chinese imperial family until just a few decades ago when it became available to the general public. Famous for its subtle taste, pale infusion, and extraordinary purity.

About Teavana View company

An old favorite, one of the first loose-leaf teas I ever purchased. It’s still delicious—creamy and subtle, with faint notes of sweet grass. (I should mention that it’s not vegetal like Teavana’s Silver Yin Zhen Pearls, and not as sweet. Which I prefer!) This tea is so soothing, like a warm bath… Especially on a night like this, when I’m not feeling so great. I’ll keep steeping cup after cup, for as long as the leaves last.

Incidentally, I’m almost out of this tea, but I don’t plan to restock. I’m looking to expand my horizons. Time to try more Silver Needle from other companies!

So… Long time no tea….^_^. It has been some time since I have been on here and for good reason. I have been dealing with my life in a way that I never thought I would have to, and after dealing with my demons and my divorce I have found time in my life to find someone my way back. This tea gets a bad rep, but rather think it’s breath of fresh air.

Flavors: Chestnut, Citrusy, Cut grass, Earth

Very light. Tastes like a mix of black and green teas. You have to really stick to the rules for amount & temperature & steeping time or it’ll taste off. Much more sophisticated than I am.

Relaxed this evening with the husband drinking a pot of one of my all time favorites, Silver Needle. I generally drink this tea without mixing it (as I am completely drawn to its delicate flavors of honey and grassy notes) however, tonight I mixed it with a little Peach Tranquillity. It was a nice mix, but I felt that the peach over powered the flavors that I enjoy savoring in the Silver Needle. I think I will stick to steeping it alone …

Pretty sure I got an old batch, next time I go into a teavana I’ll try to exchange it per their policy. This was my first silver needle ever, so at first I just followed their instructions.

What I got was a cup of barnyard hay and wet straw, kind of like walking through the farm animal exhibits at a county fair, not really much else. For the price of 2oz I could have bought an entire bale of straw from a local farmer and made 50-gallon drums of this stuff. Perplexed, I thought “hmm, maybe there’s some trick to this” and scoured the internet for more info. At first, I thought I was being a dufus and overbrewing it, but trying much shorter infusions, different temperatures from 100-190F (even went nozomi gyokuro style and tried room temp water once for 15 mins), nothing but hay and straw. So I figured, “hmmm.. guess I just don’t like white tea..”

Then I had some good fresh whites from a few other sources and voila! I love whites!

So long story short, based on all the other positive reviews I’m reading here and now that I know what to look for, I’m pretty sure I got an old batch and need to go back to switch out what I have. Until I do though, this is getting an appropriate rating.

Flavors: Autumn Leaf Pile, Corn Husk, Grass

Very clean taste. For me, I like it a bit stronger so I find myself adding more tea when I brew.

Silver Needle from Teavana is the first flush/first leaf. The best. It is wonderful alone and perfect to pair. I add it to any tea I want to tone down or to add hydration and detox to.

Indescribable, you just have to taste it for yourself.. Reminds me of spring.

With a little peppermint and honey to cure my birthday party hang over!

I purchased this tea as a show-and-tell item for my tea class. I decided to try it, since I blew $18 on it, and decided not to return it. White teas aren’t always my thing, but this was very lovely. Subtle, resteeps well, and is a fantastic companion to late-night computing.