Sencha Jade Reserve

Green Tea
Green Tea
Grass
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by sherapop

From Teavana

This extra fine Japanese cultivar is gently steamed to release the light & complex green tea sweetness. Most popular as an everyday delight, but elevated by the discerning selection of artful cylindrical leaves which infuse the fresh green taste of an early Spring harvest in each & every cup.

Fresh, sweet, vegetal infusion.

About Teavana View company

Sorry I’ve been rather absent the past couple of days! I have been drinking tea but I’ve been super busy and so I haven’t bothered to do backlogs because I quite honestly can’t remember how most of the teas I’ve drank have tasted.

I’ve been feeling rather under the weather today (blame it on exhaustion) and I was in the mood for something light and fresh. This is one of the teas I picked up at Teavana and I decided to brew it up.

This is nice! It’s light and fresh, and as it cools more and more the sweetness of it really starts to come out more. It’s a fresh sweetness, like spring air. Not floral but rather…… bright. If that makes any sense. I’m not too familiar with senchas but I am enjoying this one! It’s not something I’d repurchase but I will enjoy it while I have it.

(ALSO, I think I’m going to start rating teas again. I know that I only recently said I would stop but my point of view has changed a little and I’ve realized that rating teas is kind of fun! I think Steepster will be for rating teas and my actual tea review blog (which I have yet to start :P I’m trying!) will be for focusing primarily on taste)

ScottTeaMan

I like rating the teas Ian. Sometimes, it is easy to decide on a number, & sometimes I feel like, “What’s the difference if I rate this tea a 75 or a 77.” A specific rating is fun for me, and a specific number gives me something to look back on. It is a reference point, or a snapshot in time, aiding me-and reminding me (along with my review), as to why, or how much I like a tea. :))

Drunk From Tea

^——— agreeed.

Having another cup of this tonight after getting home from a long day. Absolutely delicious.

So I was craving something other than coffee today and, since I’ve been downing all of my other tea for the past week, I decided to get this one out to try again.

I’m really happy with the way it turned out! I actually set a timer and went a little less than 45 seconds for steeping, and I waited until the water cooled down for about 7-10 minutes after boiling so it wouldn’t burn the tea. It turned out delicious!

It actually reminds me of the Gyokuro Imperial also by Teavana, although this is obviously much cheaper ($11 cheaper) and I wouldn’t mind sticking to this when I can’t get the Gyokuro. :) Very happy with the turnover! Upped the rating a considerable amount!

This is a very summery green tasting sencha. It has a nice vegetal aroma, but the taste is a balance of grassy and a collard green like vegetal. However, there is a little bit of bitterness to it, but it’s energizing as well. Overall I do like it quite a bit and it has a very healthful feel to it. However, as with just about anything Teavana, you could get better, cheaper elsewhere.

Oh, and on a side note plain tart frozen yogurt bring out the flavor any decent sencha and makes it taste that much better. Yummmm!

TShawn

I totally agree with your tasting notes. I came on here to find out what exactly I was smelling, “Collard Greens” is perfect. It also has a bit of astringency, even in the first infusion. Could be better, but absolutely not complaining.

I bought this at the Heavenly sale at Teavana, and what a steal! Sencha Jade Reserve, the dry leaves, are a dark green with a lovely light earthy scent. The brewed tea is completely clear and a light yellow, and the taste is very fresh and vegetal. This is a wonderful green tea if you’re a green tea lover!

So grassy, so good! No fannings at all. Best sencha I’ve had so far.

Teavana’s sole straight sencha offering, Sencha Jade Reserve, is an excellent one! Very smooth and slightly sweet, with a pale green clear (not cloudy) liquor. I drank my two glasses quickly, right after lunch, in part because I had steeped at a sub 70C temperature, so the tea was starting to descend below my optimum drinking preference. (That happened because I changed my mind and switched the cooling water from a 17 ounce to a 22 ounce tetsubin, as I realized that I wanted two full glasses. As a consequence, the temperature dipped lower than usual. A propos: tetsubins are great for immediate temperature reduction, among their many other functional and aesthetic virtues…)

I’ll have to compare this sencha side-by-side with the Tazo Collection. Both are very good and haute senchas, veering toward gyokuro!

(Blazing New Rating #57)

155 °F / 68 °C 1 min, 30 sec 5 g 20 OZ / 591 ML

Fresh, clean vegetal taste— just your typical sencha.

Its OK, still havent found a green tea that I absolutely love but this is the best ive found so far

So this was today:

Reported for jury duty at 8:45 in the morning. Oddly enough, was looking forward to getting a bit of an insight into the legal system – or, more accurately, getting out of work.

After over an hour of sitting around in the conference room with no news, we find out the defendant didn’t show. We still have to go upstairs to the courtroom so the judge can ramble at us about tangentially related matters.

Still have to go to work, since my shift is from 11:30 to 8.

Then this happened right outside the store. http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2014/05/27/east-columbus-truck-takes-down-power-lines.html

We are always required to stay open when the power’s out.

Upon hearing many estimates that it would take many hours to get the power back if it even got done today, I call the lesson teachers to see if they still want to teach today given the uncertain situation. The two with the most students say let’s reschedule. I call all of their students and leave voicemails for all but TWO.

At 3 PM, AFTER I’ve called all those lesson students, the power comes back on. (I’m not complaining about the power. I’m complaining about feeling like a doof.)

I can’t really complain about working a 10 hour day to close because I volunteered to do it, but damn it was still a long day. Especially when I’m by myself for 7.5 of those hours.

Sooooo yeah.

The last time I had this tea was a year ago. It was the second time I made it, and I didn’t understand why you didn’t play loosey goosey with green tea steeping parameters. That taught me why. It was still one of the most disgusting things I’ve ever had.

Tonight, I was very careful not to let it get over-hot and VERY careful not to steep more than 40-45 seconds.

Well this is interesting. I can’t tell if I’ve developed a Pavlovian response to green teas, but I feel like I can’t make them without smelling that dreaded rotten-meat-oversteep smell somewhere in the background. But it diminishes as it cools. In the foreground is the very astringent, crisp, grassy taste that I guess is Japanese green tea. I’ve never been a fan of those in the past, but it seems like my tastebuds are changing quite a lot recently, and it’s possible I could cultivate a taste for them. Still, I’m not sure about this one. It’s one of those that I can… appreciate… without truly enjoying? But I don’t dislike it?

I seriously don’t know what I think of this tea! I guess it’s stark opposite from what my usual inclinations are, so it’s an interesting change? It’s certainly clean-tasting and fresh, if nothing else.

Maybe one day I will get on a Japanese green tea kick. I’m just interested to see what other flavors there are out there. After all, I didn’t think I liked sheng pu-erhs, but I finally learned to appreciate them once I tried enough different kinds with the right steeping methods. Who knows?