Auspicious Ayame Wulong

Oolong Tea
Earth, Floral, Smoke
Edit tea info Last updated by Jesse

From Teavana

Discover this rare floral oolong tea plucked from 100 year-old tea trees. Only one village creates this superior leaf featuring lingering mellow notes of orchid and iris. These long and unbroken deep green leaves are a treasure and thrive under clouds and mists from the high elevation Wu Dong Mountains in China. IMPERIAL RESERVE

Rich full orchid flavor with a subtle smoky finish and lingering floral undertone

About Teavana View company

Tried this yesterday at work for two 15-30 sec infusions. So much better this way. Its all honey and orchid roasted goodness, instead of just rarr rarr roast. What can I say, I like my Dan Congs gungfu style. Adding chamomile blossoms and a bit of peach to the third steep was a mistake though (I wanted something for my headache). This was later redeemed when I poured the last of the peach momotaro pot into my cup, quite nice actually.

If only the people at Teavana could brew this right and not stick to their “oolongs are always brewed at 3 mins” method

Jose Luis Denis

Better buy something ayame and you prepare yourself, I do myself and taste better.

Jose Luis Denis

also write a calification of tea.

Probably the best Oolong I have ever tasted, and that’s saying a lot. I love Oolong teas. It’s a combination of sweet, earthy, and floral and it’s pure magic for me. The smell itself is crack for me and the taste is superb. The best sweetner (if you even really need it) would be 1/4 – 1/2 tsp of white gold honey.

This is the kind of tea you can sip on anytime anywhere. Love. Love. Love.

Complex is the best way to describe this one, and it’s my favorite Oolong from them. When it’s hot, it has a taste of barely, but in the back of your mouth you can detect a tobacco/smokey-ness that lingers on your tongue between sips. It’s sweet, and as it cools you’ll begin to taste the ‘rich full orchid’ hidden in the complexities. Stronger than most oolongs I’ve tried.

I plan to re-steep this one to get my moneys worth.

Jesse

Complexities held up after second and third steep, quality tea!

I came into a crapload of this tea in Fall 2012, the week it was getting discontinued by Teavana. Despite my reservations about the company, I was more than happy to accept the free Wudong-shan Dancong which seemed to have nothing wrong with it other than being $12 an ounce. I brewed it a few times in a gaiwan last year, but mostly forgot about it until a friend gave me my first Yixing pot a few weeks ago. I decided to pair it with this tea, using the opportunity to hopefully move beyond my noob status concerning both Yixing and Dancongs.

This was my fourth session with this pairing. I covered the bottom of the 190 mL pot with leaves, then shoved in almost the same amount once again. (I wanted to avoid ending up with weak-tasting liquor like I had in my previous sessions—it’s a bit hard to gauge how much tea to use with the dry leaf being so long and flat.) After a rinse I went through 8 steeps, with the second being the most heavily-perfumed for some reason. All throughout there was an inviting toastiness, and a light body with no noticeable astringency. The floral notes came and went unpredictably, sometimes lingering in the fairness pitcher, at other times appearing in the first sip of a cup. But they were mostly weak or absent throughout this session.

Perhaps my pot is actually inappropriate for this tea, or maybe the clay is still taking more than it’s giving. Next time around, I’m not gonna hold back at all on the leaves, because even with the pot being about a 10th full of leaves, I didn’t get much of what I expected.

By and far the sweetest, loveliest, most delicate oolong I’ve ever tasted! Especially well suited to making iced tea.

This tea has been discontinued for awhile. But it was the first roasted oolong I ever tried, and I adored it from the very first sip. I heard it wasn’t very popular with Teavana’s customers, though, at least not where I live… I still remember the odd look that one of their employees gave me, when I said it was one of my favorite teas! She was nice enough to give me a hint that it was about to be discontinued, so a few weeks later, I was able to grab a tin for 30% off.

I still have that tin in my cabinet, so I thought I’d try steeping it gongfu style. It was my first attempt at gongfu, but I enjoyed it. The shorter steeping times made for lighter, sweeter infusions. That said, this is still a very toasty oolong, which I love! Smoky roasted flavor, with notes of orchid and honey that become more prominent each time it’s steeped.

I really need to try more roasted oolongs! They’re one of my favorites, and perfect for fall.

Small Big Traveling Tea Box

I tend to like more malty oolongs than florally oolongs… and this tea is definitely leaning more towards the earthy floral type. It almost tastes a bit like green tea to me which is a bit odd but it also has a stronger flavor than most oolongs that I have tried. The back of my tongue tastes a distinctly smokey note. Not my favorite, but not too bad:]

Flavors: Earth, Floral, Smoke

190 °F / 87 °C 2 min, 15 sec 1 g 2 OZ / 59 ML

I’m grumpy. Building management came through my apartment “inspecting” things, saying everything was old (oven, fridge, windows, etc etc) and making a mess. When I asked if they would be replaced, they told me it wouldn’t happen until after I move out. Greeeaat. Thanks, guys.

Anyway, while they were trampling their way through the apartment, I was sipping on this tea that Skysamurai sent me in a swap. I’m getting a peppery/spicy taste from this tea that is surprising. It reminds me of some kind of sauce that I can’t quite put my finger on. It also has a thick mouthfeel. All of these things really surprised me as I have not really experienced the same in other oolongs. It is certainly nice to try it out, but I wouldn’t restock on it (and good thing, too, cause it looks like it’s discontinued). On to other oolongs!

Stephanie

Ugh…owning a house is difficult sometimes too in different ways, but I sure don’t miss that sort of intrusion when renting!

This tea is wonderful, It taste like heaven. Its one of my favorites, shame from teavana of mexico because it has discontinued.