Black Dragon Pearls

Chocolate
High
Edit tea info Last updated by sherapop

• “Swapdown this morning (not this tea, but getting rid of a few others, and actually not acquiring new teas in return, just postage), leaving me with 138 teas! Woot! It's a good thing because I am...” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 1943 tasting notes
  • “my new years day plans have been ruined by being sick. So much for getting to drink tea and play board games with friends all day. Might just need to make it up by "forcing" my other half to play...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4875 tasting notes
  • “Farewell, my lovely Black Dragon Pearls! You will be missed. I am astonished how quickly I drank up your roasty chocolatey wonderment -- I only added you to my cupboard in mid-July! Now that...” Read full tasting note
    JacquelineM 1112 tasting notes
  • “Another black pearl I'm able to try from Momo's teabox. There was only one serving left, so I took it from the box for later. Later is now! These are about half inch in diameter sized black and...” Read full tasting note
    Tea Sipper 1335 tasting notes

From Teavana

Fashionably rare spring-harvested black tea pearls are as coveted as the legendary gems they were inspired by. Just as their bejeweled counterparts take years to become perfection, each tea pearl consists of thirty leaves and buds hand picked and immediately rolled before the leaves can dry. The famed pearls carry sweet undertones of chocolaty romance, creating a smooth, sweet-bodied exquisiteness in each cup.

Full-bodied infusion with cocoa undertones

About Teavana View company

i enjoy black tea. this is another one i would get again

I enjoyed every sip of my large glass of Teavana Black Dragon Pearls. Once again, it is becoming clear that the single-origin teas are carefully “curated” by this company. (There I go using the fantastically fashionable but ultimately vacuous mot du jour…)

Apparently, ordering the holiday collection on clearance was not the best way to approach this company’s wares. I disliked nearly everything in that set, and some of the blends achieved the distinction of being not just meh but positively repellent. If you have not tried the “chunks o’ food” line, and you are a true tea aficionado, I encourage you to focus only on the single-origin teas (and I mean TEAS) chez Teavana. The chunk o’ food blends are best avoided, in my view, along with the pushy sales associates. I have only met a couple SAs who did not make me want to run full speed out of the store. So my best advice is: order single-origin teas online, preferably on sale!

Back to Black Dragon Pearls. Gosh this was good. Smooth, creamy, deep and naturally sweet with a bittersweet chocolate finish. I cannot wait to reinfuse these beautiful leaves once again! The pearls are quite large, so for three grams I used only five balls in a 10 ounce glass. I hate to say this, but as they began to unravel they looked a bit like turds—this coming from someone who cared for a neuropathic cat (HRH Emperor Oliver) who required on hands bathroom assistance at least twice a day during the final years of his life. May He rest in peace:

This tea is very good!

(Blazing New Rating #38)

Flavors: Chocolate

205 °F / 96 °C 5 min, 0 sec 3 g 10 OZ / 295 ML
yyz

Looks like he was a special cat!

sherapop

yyz: very special, indeed!

Tamarindel

Their SAs scare me too.

So I used to work with a friend that loved tea almost as much as I do, and we would share teas and talk about them all the time. Unfortunately, she was just a term and a lady that used to work in my office 6 years ago came back and kicked her out of her position (stupid government jobs). It ended up being a great thing because I work better with this new lady and she is one of the nicest people I’ve ever met. And somehow I have gotten her obsessed with tea as well! We made a Butiki order together the other week and she was even online shopping for teas on her own, and unfortunately for her, she found Teavana online and made an order before I was able to tell her any of my horror stories about Teavana. She ended up hating most of her teas and she has 100g+ of some of them!

So this was one of the ones she purchased and it was REALLY good! It was just such a great strait black tea, malty and delicious! I think I might pick some up from the store when I go down to Vancouver next month. I guess it’s just Teavana blends that I don’t like!

My my my its been a long while since I’ve been on here. Still an avid tea drinker, but not so much a social networker……Mmmmm, this is so smooth just as other have described. I put about 6 pearls in my 16oz perfecta maker, but to make things a bit different, I added 1tsp of honeybush vanilla. No german rock sugar like I’m used to but a teaspoon of white honey. This is almost too smooth. But is definitely appreciated on a stressful day as today.

Good. Not great. Might try again in the future, but not top of the list.

I really enjoy this tea first thing in the morning with a little bit of table sugar added to it.

This tea is one of my favorites for that mid-afternoon stretch. You know, when it’s 2pm and you’re struggling to stay awake from lunch and it’s not quite time to go home yet.

I love adding milk to this, as it reminds me of boba milk tea (though definitely not as sweet). At first I bought 2oz, and then Teavana had their crazy 75% off sale so I filled up a 1lb tin. This should last me a while, since you can resteep a few times.

I love this tea. Very chocolatey and sweet malty notes. Add some german rock sugar and its even better. I haven’t had the time to sit down and resteep it so lets see how that goes.

I love this tea. I realize it’s a little silly to roll black tea, as there really isn’t a benefit to it… but it makes the tea pretty. This tea has a beautiful malty flavor and pairs nicely with milk.

One of my favorite black teas offered by Teavana. Being a die-hard chocolate lover the coca undertones make this one of my go to teas.