Perfectea Rock Sugar

Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Andi Marus
8 oz / 236 ml

• “Teavana really pushes their rock sugar pretty hard when you go in to buy tea and eventually I relented out of sheer curiosity, although it took a few visits to finally cave in. While I do love the...” Read full tasting note
    shortsorceress 1773 tasting notes
  • “First off I would love to know how Teavanna has come to 25 calories per teaspoon of German Rock Sugar. Seeing as all it is is Beet Sugar, during war times it was hard for Germany to get sugar...” Read full tasting note
    ne14t 79 tasting notes
  • “A very nice taste! In my experience though, it can take quite a bit too sweet my tea to my liking. A bit overpriced as well, and doesn't melt/disintegrate as easily as I'd like.” Read full tasting note
    Patroness 14 tasting notes
  • “I almost was not going to fall for buying this sugar. I really thought it was a gimmick for Teavana to make more money but after trying out honey and raw sugar to compare, I can say that this sugar...” Read full tasting note
    moonshyne 17 tasting notes

From Teavana

These beautiful unrefined sugar crystals are the best way to enhance the natural flavor of tea without changing it. 1lb (450g)

Sweet with caramel undertones

About Teavana View company

Teavana really pushes their rock sugar pretty hard when you go in to buy tea and eventually I relented out of sheer curiosity, although it took a few visits to finally cave in. While I do love the sweetness it adds without adding additional flavors I think it is really overpriced for a pound of sugar. I think I paid about $9/lb, but that pound really does go a long way. I only use a rock or two per 16oz serving and that is perfect for me most of the time.

I’ll likely be looking for less expensive options in the future, but it won’t be any time soon. I’ve had my sugar for nearly 5 months now and have hardly put a dent in it, I just don’t sweeten my tea very often.

VariaTEA

They definitely do push this pretty hard. I ended up with a 3 lb jar which I don’t think I will ever finish given that I usually don’t sweeten my tea. The woman tried telling me people use this for baking and stuff however that doesn’t make much sense because you usually try to get rid of lumps in baking and I am not sure how one would smooth out a rock of sugar.

MoonShyne

Yeah I kind of chuckled when the lady said one could use it for baking..first, like I would use overpriced sugar to bake and this stuff takes awhile to dissolve in hot tea let alone in any baking recipes lol. I bought a 5 dollar bag though, so they did get me to buy it after all.

Short Sorceress

My sugar has been in my cabinet for nearly 9 months now and I’ve hardly used it. I’m thinking about using mine as a cake decoration for my son’s third birthday, it should make the perfect rocks for his construction cake. I still can’t see baking with it though, these people suggesting that must not bake much.

First off I would love to know how Teavanna has come to 25 calories per teaspoon of German Rock Sugar. Seeing as all it is is Beet Sugar, during war times it was hard for Germany to get sugar refined from sugar cane so they started refining it from the roots of the sugar beet. Unless Teavanna is processing this sugar with something else it will have the exact same nutritional values and glycemic values as cane sugar, its the same with raw sugar as well, it is all pure sucrose and that is a chemical compound that does not change naturally. That said Teavanna could very well be processing this rock sugar adding more calories, to it and if that is the case I would like to be informed so I can purchase it elsewhere.

The benefit of using beet sugar is to add sweetness to your tea without altering the flavor of the tea itself. I believe there is a complete lack of molasses that you would normally have from cane sugar, or if it does have molasses in it, it won’t be the same type as cane sugar seeing as they are from different plants. Which brings me to a plausible but most likely impossible fact to prove. Beets are extremely high in antioxidants, leading some people to claim beet sugar (rock sugar) also contains similar antioxidant properties.

What I can confirm is that Beet Sugar will softly sweeten your tea without really affecting the flavor of it. I used to be a huge raw sugar fan until my Omi found out and nearly BEET the crap out of me! She insisted I try German Rock Sugar in my tea and well I am glad I listened to the 69 year old German lady, because she knew what she was talking about.

I am sure there are plenty of places that you can obtain this sugar, Teavanna does not have a special supply of magical sugar or anything; however for me it was worth the extra couple bucks for the convenience of Teavanna being close to home. I paid $9 and change for a pound of this from teavanna I was paying $6 for 450g of raw sugar from the grocery store.

Long story short: A little pricey, but certainly worth the extra couple of dollars in my opinion. But hey try it out for yourself!

A very nice taste! In my experience though, it can take quite a bit too sweet my tea to my liking. A bit overpriced as well, and doesn’t melt/disintegrate as easily as I’d like.

MoonShyne

It is slooow to dissolve isn’t it?

Patroness

Ugh, goodness is it ever!

I almost was not going to fall for buying this sugar. I really thought it was a gimmick for Teavana to make more money but after trying out honey and raw sugar to compare, I can say that this sugar is the best in terms of sweetening without altering the taste too much. You don’t need a whole lot (depending on your tastes) so I think the little bag I bought will last awhile. I sure wouldn’t buy the $30.00 jug though. I want my sugar fresh too, not sitting on my counter for six months so I would only buy a bit at a time.

love this stuff! Sweetens my tea without changing the flavor!

This is a nice sweetener and I believe is a better alternative for you than regular white sugar. It has nice caramel notes that really helps to bring out the flavour of the tea.

1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

It adds sweetness without adding additional flavors like honey does, i love this stuff but it to pricey for me so i only use it when i want to pamper my self =D

Hooray for putting this to use as a matcha soda sweetner!

And also hooray for just eating it straight…

VariaTEA

Haha I eat it straight too. They are tasty :P

Ok look…here’s the thing…I know “Teavana” is a dirty word to some. I get it. It’s a sold-out, mass-marketed franchise. But do yourself a favor, put on sunglasses and a disguise, go to your local mall, and sell a tiny piece of your soul to Teavana for this sugar. I promise it’s worth it.

I have tried three different rock sugars, one from a local shop and one from Adagio. This is the third and this rock sugar is by far, leaps and bounds ahead of the others in subtle sweetness. It sweetens without over-powering or changing the flavor of the tea. Depending on the existing sweetness of the tea, I normally use 1 tsp per cup.

If anyone has found a better sugar, I am all ears. :)

Letting this melt into your tea as it is steeping is wonderful! It can also be made into a syrup for when you’re on the go! (I use it for cooking too)
It has a light taste that adds sweetness to your teas (and food!) without adding its own flavoring.
I was iffy about Teavana’s product (still am) but its my only local supplier and it tastes great, regardless.