Spiced Mandarin Oolong Tea

Oolong Tea
Orange, Cinnamon, Clove, Fruity, Orange Zest
Edit tea info Last updated by Karsh

• “Have you noticed that sometimes a tea will get a whole lot of tasting notes in a few days? Not even a new tea or one in a tea subscription. That is what happened with this one, I saw some notes on...” Read full tasting note
    Alphakitty 470 tasting notes
  • “Fifth "top six" tea, an oolong, y'all. Steeped at 195*F... I have to say, I actually really like this one. I didn't think too much about it before trying it, but chai-like spices and citrus...” Read full tasting note
    Daniel_Scott 107 tasting notes
  • “Wow. *thanks Marcel!* This one is so good! I think that I'd like a little more clove in this; but I'm a clove super fan. Wassil is what comes to mind when I drink this one. I'm actually really...” Read full tasting note
    Tamm 539 tasting notes
  • “This would be so much better without the hibiscus! While I long for a strawberry tea of deliciousness, I also long for a mandarin spice oolong and/or black tea. One day I will find you, tea. One...” Read full tasting note
    OMGsrsly 1615 tasting notes

From Teavana

Journey along the Asian spice trading routes and savor the rich exotic flavors of juicy tangerines, lemons and ripe blood oranges perfectly blended with cinnamon, ginger, star anise, cloves and pepper. With its wonderful mix of sweet citrus fruits and traditional chai spices, this delicious flavored Chinese oolong tea is destined to become an everyday favorite.

About Teavana View company

Meh. I like spiced teas, I like mandarin teas. But I wasn’t overwhelmed by this one. It needs more spice, or more orange. Even maybe more oolong flavour. I feel like they sacrificed quality to try and please everyone. Meh.

This blend has a nice balance between citrus and spice. It’s not my most favorite from the new teas, but it is one I’ll probably have around just in case I’m in the mod for it.

First Sniff – Smells sweet and you can definitely tell it has cinnamon in it. It has a slight bitter smell to it as well, I can’t quite figure it out… it’s an interesting first sniff.

Preparation – Added a bit of honey.

First Sip – Tastes a bit like constant comment, just with a thicker pallet. It’s almost a little syrupy. It’s an odd combination of citrus and cinnamon. This is an oolong based tea, but the oolong was not present at all. I don’t know what to make of this tea. It’s good, just not as good as other teas like it. I’d give it a 5/10.

It took me a while to place this as it was steeping, but I finally figured it out – it tastes like apple cider. The homemade kind, where you plug an orange full of cloves, toss in some cinnamon sticks, and simmer it in apple juice for half the day.

There’s not a hint of oolong – I couldn’t even recognize the leaves as I was measuring it out. I don’t think I’m going to be keeping this one on hand. It’s tasty, but when I want apple cider, I want real apple cider!

I think this tea is a fine oolong for having a citrus taste. I don’t care for citrusy types, but I like the spicey hint of this tea. I would buy it again, but not a necessity. I tried it with and w/o honey and it was good both ways.

This tea is an unusual one, there is a spicy, almost curry like flavour to this tea. A heavy citrus taste and quite the acidic bite that isn’t too pleasant! Overall this oolong is intriguing, but not my favourite!

22 down – 478 to go!

A very interesting tea indeed. This one was a request from my husband. I’m not honestly sure that I would have picked it up but I’m finding myself liking it more then I thought.

Although I have to be honest I think the best part of this tea is the dry smell. When you open the tin the smell over powers everything else, but in a good way. A good Christmas tea. The smell when steeped is quite a bit more toned down but still lovely. If I hadn’t read the other tasting notes I wouldn’t have guessed there was hibiscus. I don’t think it’s that over powering of a flavor but it’s definitely there. I’ve added a bit of honey and oddly enough I don’t feel like it’s changed the flavor at all!

For those of you who are wondering what my husband thinks: he enjoys it. Says its quite good.

I like it, but I don’t love it. It is quite sweet (which I like) and orange (good). The spice is well in the background and, for me, it needs to be beefed up a bit. But, it wasn’t advertised as chai, so maybe this was intentional. I think next time I might blend with a chai. Still, overall I’d recommend it as a hot orange tea. I bet it would be a good tea for when you have a cold or the flu.
EDIT: I resteeped it with a tsp. of maharaja chai oolong tea (Teavana) and it helped a lot. Still, with so many teas out there, I don’t think this tea is one I will repurchase quickly.

Flavors: Orange

Like most of the Teavana teas I’ve tried, this smells divine…like a nice, juicy orange studded with cloves and a cinnamon stick. The taste doesn’t quite live up to the scent, but I do enjoy it. The fruitiness and spiciness are nicely balanced and it has a silky smooth texture in the mouth that I really like. Just don’t over-steep it, or you’ll get a nasty bitter/sour brew!

Flavors: Cinnamon, Clove, Fruity, Orange, Orange Zest

Small Big Traveling Tea Box

This tea has a wonderfully strong scent of cinnamon and spices. It is warm and cinnamony with a light touch of oolong and sweet orange. It reminds me of the transition from summer to fall. Gorgeous. I don’t know that I would go out and buy a cup of this, but I’m enjoying it so much while it is here.

195 °F / 90 °C 3 min, 0 sec 1 g 2 OZ / 59 ML