Jade Dragon Mao Feng Green Tea

Green Tea
Green Tea
Butter, Creamy, Spinach, Sweet, Umami, Lima Beans
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by sherapop

• “Now this is actually a very nice green tea, greener and creamier than the pricier Huang Shan Mao Feng it replaced and different than the Emerald Mao Feng I suspected they would use as a...” Read full tasting note
    autumn hearth 300 tasting notes
  • “Teavana is what started this huge tea journey for me years ago and while I have mostly moved on to other tea companies that have better quality teas that are typically cheaper, I still come back to...” Read full tasting note
    feralanima 174 tasting notes
  • “I had someone asking about this...yesterday? Saturday? the past crazy weekend is a blur...but since I hadn't tried it yet, I called over a co-worker of mine who is big into greens. He stated that...” Read full tasting note
    Daniel_Scott 107 tasting notes
  • “This is by far the best Teavana tea I've tried, and they had it for 75% off, so it only cost me a few bucks. The brewed tea is EXTREMELY light in color - the first time I steeped it, I was really...” Read full tasting note
    scotttea 58 tasting notes

From Teavana

This top-grade green tea is grown in Huang Shan, the famed mountain in Anjui Province of China, named after the 1st Chinese Emperor, Qin Shi Huang. Treasured for almost 1,200 years, this tea infuses a bright, emerald jade liquor. The wet leaf aroma is highly fragrant and its terroir, located in high elevation of 3,000ft above sea level, covered with “heavenly shade,” clouds and mist for 2/3 of the year produces a soft, sweet liquor with lingering complex notes, ‘umami,’ that deserves the coveted Top 10 tea title.

About Teavana View company

One of my favorite teas, smooth without any bitterness. It’s very mild. As with all my teas, I drink it straight, adding nothing. I don’t like sweet, sugary drinks. This tea tastes perfect the way it is. The lady at TEAVANA said I can get up to five brews within 24 hours if I rinse it with cold water before putting it in the fridge so I often do that. Usually when I start drinking this tea in the morning, I continuously drink it throughout the day. I rate it at 100% for taste but wish it had more antioxidants. In fact, that’s the reason I just bought TEAVANA’s Gyokuro Imperial. It’s healthier.

So glad that I picked up two envelopes of this tea at the Teavana holiday sale, as Jade Dragon is a quite decent Mao Feng! I brewed up a big pot today as the weather is cold and drizzly and there is no way that I’m going out. Perfect weather to celebrate the onset of spring with Mao Feng!

As always, the liquor is pale yellow veering green with a slightly vegetal taste and a smooth texture. I could drink another pot of this—and I shall. Second infusion coming up later today!

2017 tasting notes

Tea #11 from Considering a new TTB

This is another tea from teavana I really enjoy, I’ve actually had it before, but haven’t gotten around to posting a tasting note about it yet. It has a slight vegetal flavor with no astringency and is slightly sweet, which appeals to me since I’m trying to eliminate sugar from my diet, but still crave sweet things. While I do enjoy it, like the gyokuro I had a few days ago, I feel it is overpriced at $14.98 per 2 ounces. I managed to pick some up just after Christmas during the 75% off sale (3.75 per 2 ounces is a much more reasonable price) and I wish I had purchased more because it was gone before January was over.

This tea will not be continuing on, thanks for adding it the box Blue Lotus.

Oh Monday. Why art thou Monday? Why do you have the pleasure of being the first day of the week? Why cannot another day trade with you once in awhile?

So this tea, ah alas, I fell to the Teavana sales lady on this tea. I was there for the 50% off sale and I wanted to try a green tea. But, lo-an-behold the lady tells me “8 oz minimum on sale teas”. Wha? I was just there cough 24 hours before an no such min, but she says the manager insists.

Well ok, 8oz, sure ok, well I grab a 50% off 5-8oz canister and we start filling. She ONLY gets ALMOST 3 oz into it. We try a bigger container. So now I have a HUGE tub of this tea in my home, and there was still 2 oz she sent me home with in a bag. Sigh

The TEA:
Luckily, I like this tea. Its been an education though. First time I burned it and it tasted very grassy. The 2nd steeping was even more grassy, exactly like high school football turf. How do I know what football turf tastes like? Hmmm, well…. grade school kids do odd things.

Anyways, 2nd try was oh so much better. This tea definitely likes cooler temperatures. I’m not sure if I’m using enough, since I only get the palest of color, but it is so pleasant.

I learned something else with this tea. It does NOT like being left in a non-air tight bag. Doesn’t taste much like anything, until you brew it too long and then its like cheap bagged tea.

So on this Monday of Mondays, I moved some leaves from my well endowed mega tub into a smaller workable container and brewed some fresh. Ahh so light, refreshing, slightly sweet with something else. I think that is the Umami? Its a concept I’m still struggling to understand when I drink tea (and other foods). But ahhh, it hits the spot.

I received this tea from Teavana. Usually I don’t do straight up green beyond the kind you get at Japanese restaurants, but this one sounds intriguing! On opening the sealed bag, the smell is layered, it smells rich, although for some reason, and this may be my inexperience in green teas showing, the predominant smell is fairly resemblant to that of dried alfalfa. Not hay, but the alfalfa flakes I recall from childhood. It also has a distinct earthy scent I associate with the green teas I find in the various little family-run sushi establishments that are my main foodie vice. For whatever that is worth. And the last one I can put to words is an undertone that reminds me of matcha.

The first steeping was lighter in color than I was expecting, and for all the rich smells, far lighter in flavor than I was expecting or hoping for. There is a richness that pervades despite that, and the warm green tea… I would use the term “musky-ness”, were there not the possible connotation of mildew in it. There is no mildewy taste, but to a green tea, I often find a distinct rich flavor, the “toasted brown rice” aspect if you will. This tea has it, and although it was fainter that I would have liked, I found it very appealing. Over all, I may have not used enough tea (the leaves are very twiggy in nature, and so take up much space, but weigh very little), or perhaps it needs another steep, but the first steeping, while enjoyable, does not stand out any more than a pretty decent regular green tea.

Th second steeping has a more prevalent richness, there is a flavor I cannot describe well, but it dances just of of reach of being called distinct. I would almost say there is an astringency to it, not an over-steeped bitter tang, but a light note that adds to the range of taste this tea hits. The light note matches well with the fuller body of the tea, and that “toasted rice” flavor is more noticeable to me this steeping. The color is oddly enough about the same.

All told, there is a richness and depth this tea brings out which I quite like, and while I am certainly not converted to pure greens for life by any means, I can see myself getting this tea out on its own to drink, and absolutely enjoying it! (I think it’s growing on me!) I also think it would make an excellent base, were I try pairing it with an herbal, or some nutty concoction… Hmmm, it does have the flavor profile for quite a number of possibilities! I am rating it on how well it did the basics, which I think is quite well. I may add more to my review after trying it sweetened.

I hate to say this, but the first sniff I had of the tea in the envelope smelled like hay bales. I started to wonder about this tea. When steeped, the tea had light sweetness and earthy notes. As it cooled more in my cup, the umami notes came out stronger in conjunction with more sweetness. I have to say the green flavors were not as strong as I was afraid they might be, and the tea is actually quite a bit softer in flavoring than I had guessed. It’s growing on me.

Sweet tasting green tea with very little bitterness. $5 cheap and improved taste, how can you beat that!!!