Berry Mint Cassis Rooibos Tea

Rooibos Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by MissB

• “So my internet ate my review of the new Teavana Cococaramel sea salt tea yesterday. :( But I'm back with a review of this one! The Teavana smelled especially alluring yesterday. Maybe it was all...” Read full tasting note
    Tamm 521 tasting notes
  • “Oh. God. I must have gotten a bad batch of this, because it's rated fairly high on here. I myself find it disgusting. It's weird hot. I sort of expect it to be a berry flavored tea, and...” Read full tasting note
    michellefeda 318 tasting notes
  • “Hmm this has the same issue that many of these blends do, you can only taste hibiscus when its hot. However as it cools the mint and other berries come through. This is greatly enhanced by the...” Read full tasting note
    autumn hearth 300 tasting notes
  • “I stopped into my local Teavana today while out shopping with friends. They wanted to go in and I had been looking for a new travel mug. I must say I do like their travel mugs. Anyway after another...” Read full tasting note
    ThePurrfectCup 374 tasting notes

From Teavana

Cool, creamy, and positively dreamy, this caffeine-free rooibos tea is soothingly delightful and totally refreshing. Flavorful blueberry, tangy red and black currants, pineapple, and mango mix it up with cooling peppermint, spearmint, and just a spot of vanilla creme, making for a tasty treat that is berry fine and smooth as silk.

1.5 tsp, 208F/98C, steep for 5-6 minutes.

About Teavana View company

So my internet ate my review of the new Teavana Cococaramel sea salt tea yesterday. :( But I’m back with a review of this one!
The Teavana smelled especially alluring yesterday. Maybe it was all the new stock? The worker kept making me laugh because they insist on wafting these at you and it was like he was aiming for my forehead. I must admit that these new teas are very visually appealing in person. Large chunks of colorful fruit, lots of different shapes, sizes, and the smell is very strong. I’m a very visual person so that really is a great way of selling me something. The new tins are also really stunning looking, but $12 for something like that is way too much for me.
The Cococaramel sea salt one was a must have for me, but this one just smelled so nice! I also sniffed the mate/pu’erh one and boy was it weird. I might go back and try it later just because it is a lower price than many of their other teas, but damn. I don’t know how they’ll swing that one.
My husband noticed the new nutrition booklets and how instantly useless they are. The worker actually agreed with us that it is a waste of paper to just tell us a bunch of 0s.
I’m actually very surprised about how dark this brew is. It could easily pass as a black tea; I just read it has hibiscus, maybe I shouldn’t be surprised after all! Reading off the full list of ingredients this sounds like something from Willy Wonka! Something about this smells like it should be paired with some of the really tart and in your face mate blends that Teavana carries.
This tea is, well, interesting to say the least. The first kick is mint and finishes with some kind of herbal note that I’ve never run into before. It’s almost odd! It has a berry flavor, but it is nearing medicinal. It would be a great mixer in my opinion, but I’m not sure I like it just plain. There is a sense of creaminess that comes into play that is interesting and I wonder what is making that happen. I really wonder what would happen if you added milk/coconut milk to this. I think it’d probably really pop! On its own it doesn’t stand too much and although tasty, it is a little strange.

Autumn Hearth

I tried this one today in store as well. I got another waft of the mate and my friend pin pointed it perfectly it smells like those home sparkly worm/snake/dragon fireworks. I’ll try it eventually, have to remember one of the new teas they release last year smelled like nail polish remover and it tasted delicious.

Tamm

That’s hilarious about the fireworks! I had a hard time smelling because of the over the head wafting, but what I did catch was awful. I think I know which one you’re saying smelled like nail polish remover. Is it that joie de vivire?

Daniel Scott

Because of the hibiscus, I wouldn’t add milk, it would likely curdle.

The nutritional books are hilarious! We make a big joke out of them, I tell people, “And here is the most useless nutritional guide you will ever see in your life.” Would make more sense as an “ingredients list,” right?

On the other hand, I had a woman in for “the Dr. Oz tea diet” (oh god) and she kept grilling me like, “Are you sure your teas have no calories? What about carbs? I can’t have carbs,” etc. She didn’t seem to believe my answers. Now I can just point to the Magical Booklet of Zeros, because customers like her will surely believe a little paper booklet that says “no” over the associate’s tea experience.

Tamm

Oh, good thing I didn’t try it then! shakes fist at hibiscus I forget about that one. :(
I wonder who thought the tea nutrition guide would be a good thing really; because it is pretty obvious they spent some time making it look nice and orderly. I wonder if that person thought it as insane as we do.
I didn’t know there was a Dr. Oz tea diet. Now that, to me, sounds like a bad combination. That’s too bad that people would trust that notebook of zeros over the worker. I mean, unless there is sugar added to the teas there really probably shouldn’t be too much worry about carbs/calories in tea though (I would think…).

Daniel Scott

This woman knew nothing about tea, I’m afraid. Nothing at all. It didn’t sound like she’d ever had tea in her life; she kept repeating that she only likes wine, but, “I need to lose some weight fast,” so she wanted this Dr. Oz thing.

I looked it up, apparently it’s

-2 cups of pu-erh first thing in the morning (to shrink fat cells, or something like that)
-2 cups of white tea with lunch (prevents the formation of fat? or something? I don’t recall, I couldn’t care less)
-1 cup of chickweed tea in the afternoon (laxative)
-1 cup bilberry tea in the evening (to cut cravings)

Daniel Scott

Oh, P.S. guys, the nail polish remover tea you mentioned was renamed Peach Bellini Blush. In case you end up looking for it.

Tamm

That diet sounds pretty misleading to me. I wonder how he feels about mixed teas or if they have to be plain. I’ve never even heard of chickweed tea before, but it sounds dreadful. I find it hard to believe it when I hear plans like this based on drinking tea because I thought there was not a lot of supporting evidence for it being as influential as people like him make it sound.

Tamm

Why do you think they changed the name? O.o I noticed it when I tried to go find out what it was.

Autumn Hearth

Yeah I did notice the renaming, it was “awaiting new harvest” so I wonder if they were reformulating to tweak the smell. As for the diet, yeah we had women coming in for that many months back. Someone was clever and decided we should tell them oolong will do the same thing as chickweed and that elderberry is the same as bilberry, it confused people “oh so this is the chickweed?” no this is oolong, but they bought it. Better than selling them yerba mate though.

Daniel Scott

Apparently the chickweed is the best-tasting one, like it’s naturally sweet or something? I’m actually sort of curious to find it now; there’s a health food store down the street from the mall I work at that apparently sells raspberry leaf; I was planning to see if they had the chickweed and bilberry, too. At least I could direct people there if they wanted that exact “diet” (although it sounds sketchy to me!).

They changed the name because people were less likely to buy it with the French name. Which is understandable to me, because I couldn’t pronounce the name myself, and therefore never sold it! Now that it’s “Peach Bellini Blush,” the number of sales have gone up very noticeably. Our tin of it used to be perpetually full, now it’s almost empty. We also sell a lot of to-go drinks of it. People now insist to me that it actually tastes like a bellini, LOL.

I don’t think anything about the tea itself is changing, though. I think your store was just out, Autumn.

The woman I had in, I sold her oolong too (Slimful Chocolate), although I didn’t tell her it was chickweed. (LOL, WTF?!) I just told her that oolong can potentially speed your metabolism. I’m not sure that would have helped her anyway, though…I got the impression that this woman had more bad dietary habits than oolong would ever overcome. So I also discussed how I used to be horribly addicted to soda pop, and how I completely gave it up for tea (and lost about 10lbs in the process). I told her that the more important thing would be to find tea that she adored and could drink every day over things full of empty calories.

She looked at me like I had two heads.

What’s wrong with selling the mate?

Tamm

That’s so interesting about sweetness and the chickweed! I thought I’d look for it while I was at the store last night, but forgot. They always have that one brand of teabags that advertises lots of tisanes like raspberry leaf, dandelion, etc. Raspberry leaf lasts forever btw. I have a bag that is probably 3years old in a sealable bag and it still tastes good and works great.
Ok now the name change makes sense. I could never pronounce it either! I never really asked for it though. That’s an interesting marketing move. See though? Another Teavana naming funny. I’ve never had a bellini so I wouldn’t have anything to go off of. :(
Yeah, the whole what else are you doing plus drinking tea is always an interesting issue. I’ve known people who like to say, oh I drink tea for health reasons, as they bite into their huge danish pastry. I don’t think any amount of metabolism boosting will help overcome that! Soda is something that I’m still trying to get my husband off of. We never buy it, but he always wants one when we go out. I had a photo the other day which showed how much sugar is in the sodas and he was pretty shocked. I haven’t seen him order one since.
I think that finding something you really love is great advice! I think that drinking tea over soda is easy for me because I just enjoy it so much. If it wasn’t something I really loved I probably wouldn’t be able to get myself to drink it.
O.o I’m confused about the mate thing too. I love mate when it’s done right.

Oh. God.

I must have gotten a bad batch of this, because it’s rated fairly high on here. I myself find it disgusting.

It’s weird hot. I sort of expect it to be a berry flavored tea, and there’s that, but then there’s also a mintiness afterwards… sort of like fruit-flavored gum. The hibiscus isn’t too strong, though, so yay?

And cold… I figured it would be better cold. It almost is. The vanilla comes out, as does the mint, and the fruit takes a bit of a backseat. It’s still sort of like gum, but the flavors jive a bit better. But there’s an unbearable bitterness, which I think comes from the orange rinds. I tried to finish the mug… but couldn’t.

I’ll leave off the rating, since people seem to think it’s okay, and I still have some of my bag left, but sigh. I’m disappointed. At least it was (fairly) cheap.

Rebecca Lynn

What would happen if you told them it was disgusting and you wanted a refund?

Michelle

They probably wouldn’t refund it (it being a food item). And it’s not really worth the time/effort it would take to fight with them.

Autumn Hearth

Michelle, they have a more generous return policy now (which doesn’t mean any given employee you run into might not fight you on it). But for a rooibos, they really should just let you exchange it for similarly price tea. I also got a gum note on this but don’t remember any extreme bitterness, but I only tried a few sips brewed in store.

Michelle

Honestly, it’s not really worth it. I only have maybe an ounce left, and the closest Teavana to me right now is about an hour away. I think I might have gotten too many orange rinds into the filter, because it sort of tasted like that. I’ll just chalk it up to experience. Thanks, though!

Hmm this has the same issue that many of these blends do, you can only taste hibiscus when its hot. However as it cools the mint and other berries come through. This is greatly enhanced by the rock sugar, no doubt about it. It’s very clean and fresh tasting and I actually forgot it was a rooibos. The vanilla doesn’t stand out strong but I think it smoothed things over. Would probably be good iced.

I stopped into my local Teavana today while out shopping with friends. They wanted to go in and I had been looking for a new travel mug. I must say I do like their travel mugs. Anyway after another interesting trip that will be documented someplace else we all walked away with a free cup to go. I chose this. I got a lot of the mint flavors and only hints here and there of the many other ingredients in this tea.

I did purchase some to take home and mess around with. For example I think adding more rooibos might help cut the mint flavors a little. Heck maybe adding some gunpowder green tea could even make this awesome. Right now it’s ok, but I feel like it needs a little help.

momo

ahhh I can’t wait to go there tomorrow for these new ones.

On the other hand, I love this one.

I’m pretty sure this has hibiscus (of course!), but…can it be? It doesn’t come through that strongly for me. The berries and fruit at least rival it! Mostly I get blueberry and pineapple; it’s almost like a gentler cousin of the Blueberry Kona Pop blend. There’s a taste in there that my brain only identifies as “red,” though. The ingredients say there’s red currant in here; maybe that’s it? There’s a great minty kick at the back, and some creaminess throughout the sip.

Basically, I have nothing to complain about.

I will update when this finishes chilling. I fully expect, however, for the mint to pop, which should be awesome.

Chilled Update: Okay, the mint did indeed pop…but what really surprised me is that the creaminess seemed to as well! Very refreshing iced. WIN.

…Of course, this would be a cheap one.

From Michelle.

I made to for the other half while he was finishing making dinner. He took one sip and said “holey f*#+ this is awesome!”. A ringing endorsement methinks. Yet, he said a number based evaluation would have to wait until he’d had another cup. I think this is a ploy to drink it all on me! At least Michelle was very generous with her sample!

Splurged on a Breville tea maker today, and the lovely manager at my local Teavana gave me 200g of free tea with my purchase. Four different teas, this was the one that spoke to me the most, so it’s what I’m trying tonight.

First off, the Breville takes some getting used to, so I oversteeped this one. Not that I mind… usually a good rooibos tastes even better to me if I’m steeping it longer than I should. I was surprised as I measured it out how much fruit there is in this one, and how little actual tea. All large pieces? Interesting.

Dry, it smells very fruity like a tart raspberry punch. Zero mint smell that I could decipher.

Steeped, it smells less fruity. Less of everything, really. Maybe a more faint raspberry taste than anything. The mint is hard to place, although it’s definitely there, almost as a cooling action midway through and little else. I had to sweeten it to bring out some of fruitiness (I found it bland on it’s own), which may have dampened the mint? Dunno.

The smell is now wafting throughout the house though, so it does have a lovely odor. It’s just… sneaky, like my 5-year-old wearing his superhero costume.

I’ll try it again to see if I like it more with less steeping (or maybe cold?). At this point, I doubt I’ll ever buy it.

The Berry Mint Cassis went on sale immed. after the holidays on the Teavana site. Being new to them I selected this as I had heard they were over priced, and this sounded good and it was on sale and part of an initial Teavana “trial” haul I put together.
Have had it twice and really like it. However, it does need something and for me that was adding a bit of organic honey. The mint did not really come out either time, maybe just a bit. Tasting the rooibos and mine has chunks of citrus in it so getting a lot of that. Wondering if perhaps it was on sale for a reason. It is certainly enjoyable, but I was looking for that mint, and it was not there. Not a bad tea, as it was on sale. Now I see it is not even listed on the site. Discontinued? or just out? Had to look up the steeping and heat time as it was not on the packaging (odd for them from what I have seen) and found this site. Will be interesting to see if it shows up on the website again.

Well, no surprise here this tea tastes exactly like berries and… mint! The berry taste is stronger than the mint, which I tend to like more than the other way around. The mint is really subtle, but it gives the tea a little “zing.” It’s also very refreshing and a little tangy. What a terrific blend!