Golden Monkey

Wet Earth, Creamy, Malt, Wet Moss, Wet wood, Earth, Apricot, Chocolate, Dried Fruit, Honey, Pecan
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

From Teavana

The finest China black from the Fujian province. This smooth tea with complex chocolaty undertones is extremely low in tannins, yet rich in flavor.

How to Prepare
Use 1 teaspoon of tea per 8oz of water. Heat water to 195-205 degrees and steep for 2-3 minutes. 2oz of tea equals 25-30 teaspoons.
Ingredients:
Pure Chinese black tea (from Fujian province).

About Teavana View company

I wasn’t very impressed but it wasn’t bad. Just fell a little flat for me.

Flavors: Wet Earth

My favorite black tea. It brews a dark brown. A nice, smooth, “straight black tea” scent. Flavor is very strong – malty with a bit of chocolate. I recommend letting it cool off a bit before enjoying; some of the more subtle flavors make their way out.

I refrain from giving it a score of 100 simply because this tea can be a bit on the strong side (and watering it down simply kills the flavor). I drink it to wake up in the morning, but usually choose something lighter for the afternoon and evening. I also noticed that my most recent batch had a slightly different flavor than the last batch – not quite as malty, and maybe a little smoky?

Dont understand some of the negative reviews on this one as far as my cup goes it was rather tasty. Of course there are better teas and this was a pricey oz, but I still find it enjoyably smooth and complex.

Flavors: Creamy, Malt, Wet Moss, Wet wood

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 10 OZ / 295 ML

Ost was nice enough to share this. I really did drink this some time ago. I just now ran across my tasting note that I jotted down while at work! :)

I may have oversteeped but this isn’t going to be my thing. I like my GM smooth and sweet. This was very harsh with a smoky smell and an ashy taste. Glad to have tried it but it’s another Teavana that I don’t need to worry about getting any of!

Not a fan. I tried long steeps, short steeps, lots of leaf, little leaf, but no. I do not like this tea. I don’t like the flavor.

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML

I had planned to bring some tea home with me for the holidays (I have a whole 2 weeks to spend with my parents, which is lovely) and then I completely forgot. So while in Thunder Bay on the way home I picked up a couple of sampler tins from the International House of Tea – the Black Tea Sampler, and the Premium Tea Sampler. They were okay, but all the black teas in the sampler are Indian, and I find I’ve been craving a good malty Chinese black tea recently. We don’t have a lot of options for loose leaf tea in this area, so while out running some errands with my mom today I decided to brave the Teavana in the mall to see if they might have anything. I ordered a cup of the Golden Monkey to try it out – I didn’t see how much tea she put in, or what the water temperature was, but she steeped it for 3min.

It wasn’t bad, though it definitely wasn’t anywhere near the best I’ve tried of this type of tea. It was malty, with a bit of sweet potato. The girl in the store claimed it has chocolate notes, but I didn’t get any of that at all. There was a bit of bitterness that I didn’t like – I wonder if it would have been better steeped at a slightly lower temperature. The 16oz cup turned out to be a little over $5, which I felt was crazy, and I definitely wasn’t about to pay $16 for 50g of it, which is the smallest quantity they’d sell me. I guess I’ll just have to wait… I ordered some tea from Tealux’s Boxing Day sale for my parents, so hopefully it arrives soon. :)

Anlina

I miss International House of Tea. I don’t know if they still do it, but when I lived there years ago, they had a tea room that I went to all the time for tea and scones. We don’t have anything similar here in Winnipeg and that makes me sad.

First tasting note, so thank you for your understanding if I do something wrong? LOL I don’t know. Anyway I bought this a long time ago because it smelled really good and was recommended by the Teavana staff, but am just now getting to it. First I tried it with a little bit of milk and sweetener; my friends said I might like it better that way beause I am new to tea. But the cup I’m having now is just plain and I like it better this way. So far so good, I think. Am looking forward to see how it tastes with another steep! And this time I won’t accidentally oversteep it (meant to do only 2:30 but ended up at about 3:00).

Ost

Ohh 30 seconds over isn’t too bad. I am terrible with oversteeping. xD I always oversteep things my a couple minutes, so don’t feel too bad-haha!
Also, congrats onthe first tasting note!

Fjellrev

Welcome!

Tatiana

Thanks!

Got like an ounce of this in a super generous swap with Stephen Cook!
I’ve been eager to try this ever since they released it, but it’s wayyy too expensive for me and there’s no way I am spending like 30 bucks for 2oz of tea. 0_0
So I’m really glad I got to try this finally! :D
Actually, last Tuesday while I was at the mall I stopped by our Teavana and tried a sample of this one. It was bitter and earthy. Really not my thing. Also kinda weird since Teavana has the reputation to sweeten the crap out of their teas-haha! Apparently ours breaks that stereotype. xD
After that sample I wasn’t sure I’d like it at home.
But it was so different at home!
It’s a little earthy, but it’s really strong and malty. One of those teas that will really wake you up. xD This is definitely not the best Golden Monkey I’ve ever had, but it’s pretty decent. Not worth the price, and definitely better at home than in the store.
I’ll enjoy the rest of this though! Happy to finally try it! :D

Flavors: Earth, Malt

Sampled this in store today and I was pretty impressed. This is different from any other black I’ve tried. I’m not sure about the price – I may need to track down a similar tea from another company, but it did grab me.

boychik

You should try from Teavivre.

Anlina

Thanks, I will put that on my wishlist for when I get around to placing an order with them :)

My first Teavana tea of the day that wasn’t a disappointment…this one was a decidedly mellow, reasonably balanced black that lacks the salty notes I’ve had issues with in others. It lingers in the mouth, leaving behind an almost honeyed aftertaste and a soft sensation that makes it a decidedly pleasant cup to have on hand while watching tv or working online.

I’m still not likely to run out and buy this one – because it’s still Teavana, y’know – but it won’t be a problem for me to drink what’s left in the bag.