Golden Monkey

Malt
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

From Teavana

The finest China black from the Fujian province. This smooth tea with complex chocolaty undertones is extremely low in tannins, yet rich in flavor.

How to Prepare
Use 1 teaspoon of tea per 8oz of water. Heat water to 195-205 degrees and steep for 2-3 minutes. 2oz of tea equals 25-30 teaspoons.
Ingredients:
Pure Chinese black tea (from Fujian province).

About Teavana View company

Love this one, all the kick of black tea, but just a bit mellowed out.

I steeped this tea a minute longer than I should have, but the slight bitterness that comes out of tea is something I actually enjoy. Full bodied, malty flavor. Lingers just long enough to keep the palate satisfied between sips. Very enjoyable!

Thankfully this was a Christmas gift because the price that Teavana charges is a little steep. $18 for two ounces! However, I will definitely be on the look out for Golden Monkey from other retailers. Certainly recommend it!

drinking this at work. So wonderfully full. Black tea migt be my favorite kind of tea, and this might be my favorite black tea, rich, robust, but still drinkable. it’s almost blendable with anything. I tried some wit White Chocolate Peppermint, and it tasted like heaven.

I am new to loose tea. I went to the local Teavana store in the mall for some guidance. I wanted to start with a good replacemenmt for the Iced tea I had been buying for the local Chick Fil a and the Sonic. I drink iced tea all day but the tea never seemed to taste the same. The lady in Teavana said that I needed Golden Monkey. I do like it…… however I can see now that it was one of the most expensive that they sell. I would like to branch out and try others.

The last 2 days I have been enjoying this in the afternoons with a tsp of honey. I have had very little experience with straight black teas so not much to compare to. I received 2oz of this as a gift and so far I like. (2 tsp / 16 oz)

It smells rich, like there’s a lot to it. I hope there’s a lot to it, because I need this kick this morning. When brewed, it has a strong scent. It reminds me of when my dad used to take us with him to the place where he made his own beer. Malt, maybe? Anyway, it’s a smooth tea, with a dry aftertaste. Seriously, my mouth feels really dry after drinking this. I feel like I’m getting that kick I needed, but don’t think I would purchase this expensive tea again.

One of my #1 favorite teas. I love this one plain, or with a bit of cream and sugar.

This is really one of my favorite teas. I find that it tastes lovely in the morning or evening and each time I drink it I pick up different notes. The taste starts with a wonderful caramel mellowness and then you pick up bits of apple and kiwi crispness around the edges. This tea tastes equally lovely with slightly less or more brewing time and is tasty iced too.

Teavana’s sales methods are not my favorite and the full price is quite over the top, considering you can find other lower priced Golden Monkey teas or high quality black teas. Look for it on sale and send your significant other in like I did. :)

I just want to like this tea more than I do. I get that it’s complex and I guess at some level I do see why so many people like it (and monkey teas in general). I’m just not that big a fan of Chinese black teas. I find the taste ‘in mouth’ (ok, I’m far more familiar with reviewing wines, but I’m trying here!) to be pleasant, but I find it a bit sour and bitter once it’s left my mouth. I probably won’t buy it again, but I will drink what I have already bought.

A mostly golden Yunnan. Plenty of flavor, but probably not the best I’ve ever had.