Golden Monkey

Malt
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

From Teavana

The finest China black from the Fujian province. This smooth tea with complex chocolaty undertones is extremely low in tannins, yet rich in flavor.

How to Prepare
Use 1 teaspoon of tea per 8oz of water. Heat water to 195-205 degrees and steep for 2-3 minutes. 2oz of tea equals 25-30 teaspoons.
Ingredients:
Pure Chinese black tea (from Fujian province).

About Teavana View company

A mostly golden Yunnan. Plenty of flavor, but probably not the best I’ve ever had.

I bought this on my first trip to Teavana, completely alien to loose leaf teas. I asked for a recommendation for a black tea, since I had never actually tasted a loose leaf tea and, being used to black teas, I thought I could better gauge the difference between loose leaf and bags. While the taste was much better than a black tea bag, the tea got a little stale with my tastebuds, especially after I branched out and tried more different kinds of teas. One of the positive sides to it is that it can be steeped multiple times with a mostly consistent flavor. It is a good base for blends, however, yet too much of it easily overpowers the other tea. All in all, it’s a great tea, but I don’t see myself spending another $20 on it in the future.

Not my favorite black tea. Far too mild for my tastes. Don’t really like the aftertaste either. Will not buy again.

I found this tea very enjoyable. The flavor is very smooth and rich. At the same time, however, the price is much higher than some other Golden Monkey teas I’ve enjoyed much more. Good tea, but not worth the cost.

This tea is terrible, at least for the price. Unlike your usual 6 dollar an ounce Golden Monkey, it has virtually no flavor. For a $2-3 an ounce, it would be acceptable, but not at $10. Its taste is weak and slightly chalky.

This is my first foray into “fancy tea” and I’m pretty happy with it. We brewed this as the first tea in our new cast-iron pot, so I had several cups over a few hour time period.

I thought it had a really light, almost sweet flavor. No bitterness at all. My uneducated tastebuds liked it a lot!

i love it!

This is a good tea to blend with other tea. It gives other teas a smoother finish. On it’s own i’’m not that big of a fan. The first cup i had of this I wasn’t sure I like it at all. Still I continued to drink it and have grown to like the tea on it’s own. Still it works better with other teas.

I was very disappointed by this tea, and I’m a huge fan of other Golden Monkeys. As another reviewer aptly put it: “this one seems unusually plain.” It was also a bit too expensive, I think.

This tea was recommended by the Teavana staff when I told them I liked black tea. I did tell them I wanted something on the strong side. By itself I am not a fan as I have not found a way to kill the bitter and almost sour flavor of this tea. However, it is my go to tea for making Tibetan butter tea.