Golden Monkey

Earth, Malt, Apricot, Chocolate, Dried Fruit, Honey, Pecan
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

From Teavana

The finest China black from the Fujian province. This smooth tea with complex chocolaty undertones is extremely low in tannins, yet rich in flavor.

How to Prepare
Use 1 teaspoon of tea per 8oz of water. Heat water to 195-205 degrees and steep for 2-3 minutes. 2oz of tea equals 25-30 teaspoons.
Ingredients:
Pure Chinese black tea (from Fujian province).

About Teavana View company

The last 2 days I have been enjoying this in the afternoons with a tsp of honey. I have had very little experience with straight black teas so not much to compare to. I received 2oz of this as a gift and so far I like. (2 tsp / 16 oz)

It smells rich, like there’s a lot to it. I hope there’s a lot to it, because I need this kick this morning. When brewed, it has a strong scent. It reminds me of when my dad used to take us with him to the place where he made his own beer. Malt, maybe? Anyway, it’s a smooth tea, with a dry aftertaste. Seriously, my mouth feels really dry after drinking this. I feel like I’m getting that kick I needed, but don’t think I would purchase this expensive tea again.

One of my #1 favorite teas. I love this one plain, or with a bit of cream and sugar.

This is really one of my favorite teas. I find that it tastes lovely in the morning or evening and each time I drink it I pick up different notes. The taste starts with a wonderful caramel mellowness and then you pick up bits of apple and kiwi crispness around the edges. This tea tastes equally lovely with slightly less or more brewing time and is tasty iced too.

Teavana’s sales methods are not my favorite and the full price is quite over the top, considering you can find other lower priced Golden Monkey teas or high quality black teas. Look for it on sale and send your significant other in like I did. :)

I just want to like this tea more than I do. I get that it’s complex and I guess at some level I do see why so many people like it (and monkey teas in general). I’m just not that big a fan of Chinese black teas. I find the taste ‘in mouth’ (ok, I’m far more familiar with reviewing wines, but I’m trying here!) to be pleasant, but I find it a bit sour and bitter once it’s left my mouth. I probably won’t buy it again, but I will drink what I have already bought.

A mostly golden Yunnan. Plenty of flavor, but probably not the best I’ve ever had.

I bought this on my first trip to Teavana, completely alien to loose leaf teas. I asked for a recommendation for a black tea, since I had never actually tasted a loose leaf tea and, being used to black teas, I thought I could better gauge the difference between loose leaf and bags. While the taste was much better than a black tea bag, the tea got a little stale with my tastebuds, especially after I branched out and tried more different kinds of teas. One of the positive sides to it is that it can be steeped multiple times with a mostly consistent flavor. It is a good base for blends, however, yet too much of it easily overpowers the other tea. All in all, it’s a great tea, but I don’t see myself spending another $20 on it in the future.

Not my favorite black tea. Far too mild for my tastes. Don’t really like the aftertaste either. Will not buy again.

I found this tea very enjoyable. The flavor is very smooth and rich. At the same time, however, the price is much higher than some other Golden Monkey teas I’ve enjoyed much more. Good tea, but not worth the cost.

This tea is terrible, at least for the price. Unlike your usual 6 dollar an ounce Golden Monkey, it has virtually no flavor. For a $2-3 an ounce, it would be acceptable, but not at $10. Its taste is weak and slightly chalky.