Golden Monkey

Apricot, Chocolate, Dried Fruit, Honey, Pecan, Malt
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

From Teavana

The finest China black from the Fujian province. This smooth tea with complex chocolaty undertones is extremely low in tannins, yet rich in flavor.

How to Prepare
Use 1 teaspoon of tea per 8oz of water. Heat water to 195-205 degrees and steep for 2-3 minutes. 2oz of tea equals 25-30 teaspoons.
Ingredients:
Pure Chinese black tea (from Fujian province).

About Teavana View company

I was very disappointed by this tea, and I’m a huge fan of other Golden Monkeys. As another reviewer aptly put it: “this one seems unusually plain.” It was also a bit too expensive, I think.

This tea was recommended by the Teavana staff when I told them I liked black tea. I did tell them I wanted something on the strong side. By itself I am not a fan as I have not found a way to kill the bitter and almost sour flavor of this tea. However, it is my go to tea for making Tibetan butter tea.

I’ve had really good Golden Monkey from other vendors, but this one seems unusually plain. It’s malty, mildly bitter, and the chocolaty slightly floral aroma that makes Golden Monkey so pleasurable comes off somewhat bland. Possibly the better qualities of this tea are overshadowed by the lingering bitterness.

I think the Teavana man recommended this to me because it’s the most expensive black tea, but I’m not complaining. It certainly tastes expensive. I asked for something similar to Tazo Awake tea, which is what I drank before going loose-leaf, and I think this was a good recommendation. It has a rich, smooth flavor that’s not bitter at all as long as I don’t steep it for much more than 2 minutes.

I just don’t understand the appeal of this tea. So many people have raved to me about it but, frankly, it is so malty that it smells horrible to me! I find the taste far too strong and murky. The Black Dragon Pearls are a much better cup, IMO.

I got this as a gift and woah, what a tea! Divine with milk and sugar. I like having this as my first, leisurely cup of the day so I can enjoy the nuanced taste. Out of my price range but maybe I can convince someone to give it as a gift again. -_^

I seem to like Monkeys, especially Golden ones. This one rivals one other as one of my all time favourites.

I have no idea why, but I impulsively ate a sour Warhead right before the leaves finished steeping. The lingering berry taste was actually a nice addition to this robust tea. It’s pricey though — almost 20 bucks for two ounces.