Jasmine Dragon Phoenix Pearls

Green Tea
Green Tea, Jasmine Flowers
Astringent, Bitter, Floral, Jasmine, Flowers, Smooth, Sweet, Grass, Fruity, Peach, Perfume, Vegetal
Edit tea info Last updated by Shae

• “Today’s been a day. There have been 9 million things going on at work, all kinds of phone calls to make and customers to contact and things to follow up on and waiting for people to get back...” Read full tasting note
    Aeoliana 324 tasting notes
  • “This has been in my cupboard for some time. For way longer than it should have been, actually. Luckily, it still tastes good! Tony & I shared a pot of it this afternoon, & he enjoyed it...” Read full tasting note
    terri-harplady 3204 tasting notes
  • “I had this last night and it’s just so wonderful and calming! On a saddening note though I only have enough left for one more cup…if that! :-( oh well, I have a tin of Rishi jasmine...” Read full tasting note
    shae050 132 tasting notes
  • “Love this tea!! :) Trying to find other companies that sell “Jasmine dragon pearls” ..I really enjoy the fresh light floral taste of this tea :) Anyone recommend some good companies...” Read full tasting note
    relitaliano 82 tasting notes

From Teavana

Young green tea leaves are scented 6-8 times with summery blossoms of fresh jasmine, this tea is a phenomenon of fragrance and sweetness. Three leaves are hand rolled into pearls that slowly unfold the rich and smooth sweet floral flavor.

Smooth green tea with a rich jasmine bouquet

Use 1 teaspoon of tea per 8oz of water. Heat water to 175 degrees (79 degrees Celsius) and steep for 3 minutes. For stronger flavor, use more tea leaves.

Ingredients: Green tea, scented with jasmine blossoms

About Teavana View company

The aroma is divine and flavor very subtle. I can easily drink several cups of this. Perfect with a book.

These were ok, not my favorite. I think these are an older sample I had which makes sense why the flavor was a bit more bland and not the lovely jasmine flavor I was hoping for. Am going to try the last few pearls as a cold brew for later this afternoon. Hoping the flavors come thru a bit stronger.

My husband bought this tea for me for Valentine’s Day this year, along with the Strawberry Blush Rose. At some point, I intend to mix them together for a cup, but I wanted to try the two separately first.

This tea is very floral, just as expected. I’m not sure of the temperature when I steeped this, but I probably let it cool five minutes or so before adding the tea leaves. It’s a little astringent but not much. The leaves have only barely started to relax from their tight curls.

Second Steep
8 ounces water + 175 degrees + 3 minutes

Ready for my second cup of this! This cup still carries some of that floral scent, but unfortunately it’s also the tiniest bit bitter. The leaves have unrolled most of the way already, but I’ll probably try to steep this once more.

Flavors: Astringent, Bitter, Floral

5 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

The astringency would be less if the temperature was lower. In fact, you lose a lot of flavor from green pearls with water that hot. The second cup was probably bitter because it is necessary to steep shorter the second time, as the leaves have begun to unfurl and the flavor releases more quickly.
After they have completely unfurled, you can still get a couple more steeps, as long as the second steep wasn’t too long.

Thank you for your advice, teatortoise! This is my first time to try this type of tea on its own so I’ll admit that I’m not at all familiar with it. I basically just used the steeping parameters that Teavana suggests for green teas. What temperature would you recommend for a tea like this? Also, does the shorter second steep apply to other types of tea too or only to the pearls? I never would have thought to do a shorter steep. I always steep longer the second time around because it seems that most of the flavor would come out in the first cup, but that makes perfect sense for a tea that is bound up so tightly. Thanks for teaching me something new today. :)

I know just how you feel. I would recommend a lower temperature. Mostly I look at the bubbles and steam to control water temperature, and if necessary add a small amount of fresh cool water to lower the temperature. Well before boiling, tiny shrimp-eye sized bubbles begin to appear, and a gentle steam rises like a mist, not straight up. This brings out the light flavor of the delicate leaves, but without being so hot that it diminishes the sweetness, and brings out more astringency.

For very short, high leaf brews, a shorter second steeping (a matter of a few seconds) prevents bitterness, since the leaves have already expanded during the first steep. This difference is like 10 seconds then 8 seconds, or 6 seconds then 4 seconds, for example.

However with any pearl, or tightly rolled leaf, the difference is more significant, since the leaves are opening and beginning to unfurl in the first steep, and expanding in the second steep, when they start to release their real flavor. If not, then the second steep will be bitter, and all other steeps afterward will be lacking in flavor. So, if the water is a little too hot, and the pearls steep too much at first, then you are in danger of tasting an astringent, bitter, and ultimately not-as-flavorful brew.

You’re long steep time leads me to believe that you might use a larger vessel, or simply less leaf than myself, so note the difference. That being said, in my small gaiwan I simply barely cover the bottom with pearls (4-6 steeps), steep for about 45 seconds to a minute at first (without rinse), and then reduce that to about half, at 25-30 seconds, for a less bitter, sweeter, and more flavorful steep. From there, I steep longer, as you normally do. Maybe start from there and tinker a little.

Thank you for being so descriptive. Your posts and comments are a pleasure to read and have been very helpful. I will pay closer attention to the look of the water next time to be sure I’m steeping this at the best temperature.
You are correct about my using a larger vessel – I steeped this in a mug with my Finum basket. Next time, I will follow your lead and use my gaiwan. I should have thought to do this to begin with. I really appreciate you sharing in detail the way you would normally steep this tea. I’m going to try your method next time and see how it goes. Thank you!!

Sure thing. I know how confusing a tea can be until you get a familiar grasp of it. I’ve never used a finum basket, it looks effective. I’m glad to learn about those. Tomorrow, from my home computer, I could send you the more in-depth preparation of green pearls, I typed up—for myself, honestly—if you’d like. Anyway, just make sure not to use too many pearls in your gaiwan, or it will be too bitter.

I’ve had my Finum basket for a few months now and I use it all the time. It’s so much better than the tea ball I was using. The mesh is so fine that even smaller pieces of tea won’t escape it which is the problem I had with the tea ball. I love it! I’ll always keep one around now.

I would love to read your in-depth notes on the green pearls, if it isn’t too much trouble!

No problem.
I moved up to a larger tea ball, then after I realized that tea doesn’t really expand or infuse properly in a tea ball, I started to separate it and use it as a strainer, if for some reason I’m making a very broken tea or using the teapot for Assam or something.

Received a sample from a tea enthusiast friend, just enough for a cup. The scent of jasmine was absolutely lovely as soon as the water hit the pearls, and I found the taste to be light and soothing, with a silken feel on the tongue. I’m still a tea neophyte, so I have very little to compare this to, but I did enjoy it very much and will likely buy some. The only drawback is that I have a sensitive nose, and after half a cup I started to get a headache from the jasmine despite enjoying the smell. Going for a second steep anyway, because I’m a glutton for punishment.

This is a GREAT tea for blending with other teas. I never drink it on its own. It mixes well with Citrus Lavender Sage, Strawberry Blush Rose, Dragonfruit Devotion, Peach Tranquility, and many others. I have found that you can get multiple steepings out of a single teaspoon. It was the first floral tea that I really enjoyed. It adds a nice, subtle touch to the teas mentioned above.

As this is a heavy tea by weight, a little certainly goes a long way, so use caution when deciding your tea/water ratio. JDPP is excellent for any jasmine tea lover, as it delivers a soothing floral aroma and taste without a doubt.

Flavors: Jasmine

I blended this tea with Strawberry blush rose, also from Teavana. It is a nice mix of peachy, jasmine, strawberry fruitiness that I really enjoyed served hot. My new favorite!

1 min, 45 sec 3 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

BLENDED w/Rooibos Tropico (Teavana)

This tea is amazing. To really enjoy the full flavor of the jasmine pearls, I highly recommend using a tea steeper like Tevana’s Perfectea Maker which allows the pearls to completely unfold. I love the sweetness of jasmine which doesn’t overpower the green tea.

Flavors: Jasmine

1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

Alright here we go. Sampling number 3 of 4 from Teavana’s Green tea Essentials box set. Jasmine is one of my favorite blends, one of the few blends I appreciate to the point of calling it “good and real tea”, so let’s see how Teavana’s version stacks up.

Using 2 tablespoons of pearls, after rinsing I poured 32 ounces of 175 degree water and let it all steep for 3 minutes, the recommended time on the box.

The color is a really nice, semi clear, darkish straw yellow., with an almost orange tint.

The fist smell that hit my nose was a pleasant surprise. The first two offerings from this set lacked a bit in the aroma category, but this one is different. The classic Jasmine scent is right up front, crisp and clean as day,but I still get a strong sense of a really good green tea base. The straw/hay/grass scent is still there with the hint of butter, and the Jasmine gets to set sail over the top of all of them.

The taste gives a little more liberties to the Jasmine, while the green tea base is not as prominent as in the scent. The Jasmine is definitely the defining aspect of this brew, that sweet floral taste takes over above everything else.

I would like to have a bit more of the Green Tea base in the taste, the Jasmine sweetness is nearly overwhelming, but not so much as to turn me off. This is still a great Jasmine Tea.

Flavors: Floral, Flowers, Jasmine, Smooth, Sweet