Black Dragon Pearl

Chocolate, Malt, Cocoa, Molasses, Honey, Smooth, Cacao, Earth, Scotch, Cedar
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Sabrael D. Carroll

From Teavana

This fragrant and rare hand-rolled tippy black tea from the Yunnan province unfurls to release a smooth-bodied taste with sweet, chocolaty, and malty undertones. Good for multiple infusions. This is a perfect morning and afternoon tea.

How to Prepare
Use 1 teaspoon of tea per 8 ounces of water. Heat water to just before boiling (195 degrees) and steep for 3-4 minutes. 2oz of tea equals 25-30 teaspoons.

Ingredients:
Hand-rolled, pure black tea.

About Teavana View company

I love the subtle cocoa aroma of this tea. Black Dragon Pearl brews up strong but can be re-steeped (re-stept?) if needed. A pinch of sugar or Splenda, in my case, finishes this full-bodied flavor.

Very nice black tea – slightly malty and chocolaty. Reminds me a bit of Golden Monkey. Used 5 pearls in a 12 oz. cup and 2 steeps at about 3 1/2 and 5 minutes, water just off boiling.

Drank this tea for the morning cuppa and overbrewed it. Bitter.

Drank this twice today. Glad it picked me up.

This tea is fairly tasty and fairly malty with notes of chocolate. It is one of the more chocolaty teas I have encountered.

I brewed this once in a 16oz Teavana Glass Perfect Tea Maker/Gravity Steeper with 3 tsp leaf and 200 degree water for 2 min.

Flavors: Chocolate, Malt

i was really excited about this tea when i bought it, and i couldnt wait to get home and try it. i have yet to brew a perfect cup of this, but it is getting better and better :)

the best cup so far has been from a 4 oz gaiwan (my only brewing vessel) and about 2 tsp of pearls, about 8 loose pearls. after a quick rinse, i use 195 degree water, and infuse for about a minute, adding 15 seconds at the third infusion.

tasting this is pure heaven :) it has a nice, full flavor, without being too “in your face” about it. it is lightly sweet, and has a nice taste of cocoa with a slight hint of molasses.

this tea changes its taste quite quickly with minor changes to how you brew it, so i highly suggest playing around with it quite a bit to see just how you like it :)

Flavors: Cocoa, Molasses

I bought this tea about a year ago on the recommendation of the salesperson at the Teavanna location I purchased it at. It was kind of a disappointment to me. Part of the reason for that is that it took me a while to figure out the best way to brew the tea. It really does best when it’s brewed in a teapot or a single cup infuser where the leaves are allowed to fully unfurl. Also, I prefer my teas brewed strong and this tea was rather weak for my taste. I found that I have to use small amounts of water, no more than 8 or 9 oz, to get a decent flavor. As I like to drink mugfulls (sp?) of tea, that’s a rather small cup and not satisfying. Still, it’s a good tea but not one I’ll be restocking my cupboard with.

Flavors: Honey, Malt, Smooth

Great stuff. Lots of caffeine, holds up well for multiple steeping, cool little balls, smooth and sweet. I’ll be buying more black dragon pearls when I run out.

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 3 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML

Got this as a Xmas gift. Now I am unable to enjoy any other tea. Yes it really is that good. No after taste, never a bitter cup. Hints of cocoa and very subtle bites on malt.

Flavors: Cocoa, Malt

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

I found out that the woman who was my son’s one to one aid at school is a tea drinker. She worked with my son for six years, and is just about the sweetest woman on the planet. She’s working with another child this year, but since I just found out about her love of tea I had to get her some for Christmas. She told me she is a Teavana fan, so I picked up some of this and one of their ceramic tumblers for her. Since I was already buying some I also picked up an ounce for myself. Because tea.

This is really nice. There’s a strong chocolate flavor along with some malt and leather. I used three pearls for my eight ounce cup, and I’ve resteeped the leaves twice. I’m pretty sure I can get at least two more steeps before the leaves are spent.

I wish I had some of Teavivre’s Dragon Pearls on hand so I could do a side by side tasting. I’ll have to do that at some point.

P.S. I’m also giving her North Winds from Whispering Pines and Earl Grey Cream from Zen Tea. Because tea.

Boiling 3 min, 30 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
Nicole

Because tea is the best reason I’ve seen all day. :)

Ysaurella

always so pleasant to find out people to share about tea. Funny when we discover them “just around the corner”

gmathis

I discovered some tea drinkers among the 11-year-old girls in my Sunday school class yesterday. If I can figure out what to do with the bull-in-the-china-closet boys, we may need to have us a January tea party!