Black Dragon Pearl

Chocolate, Earth, Malt, Scotch, Cedar
Edit tea info Last updated by Justin

• “Oh look, black dragon pearl is finally back at Teavana!! Of course, I have to add it back into my collection, as theirs was the first black pearl I ever had, and loved. After yesterday's gig, I...” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 2511 tasting notes
  • “So I tested the guy helping me out at Teavana yesterday as I asked for this tea. I asked about the flavor of this tea waiting to see if he'd mention the chocolate and malty notes...no he told me...” Read full tasting note
    ThePurrfectCup 374 tasting notes
  • “SIPDOWN! and backlog - another from yesterday. This one was not only packed in a travel mug for the drive home but i also shared a few of the steeps and re-steeps with my parents before i left. ...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4046 tasting notes
  • “Asked for tea for Christmas; my mother and her posse happened to walk into a Teavana store in Chicago (Lady's "Lets Go Shopping" roadtrip). After a hour's guided tour through the intracies of tea...” Read full tasting note
    Atacdad 239 tasting notes

From Teavana

This fragrant and rare hand-rolled tippy black tea from the Yunnan province unfurls to release a smooth-bodied taste with sweet, chocolaty, and malty undertones. Good for multiple infusions. This is a perfect morning and afternoon tea.

How to Prepare
Use 1 teaspoon of tea per 8 ounces of water. Heat water to just before boiling (195 degrees) and steep for 3-4 minutes. 2oz of tea equals 25-30 teaspoons.

Ingredients:
Hand-rolled, pure black tea.

About Teavana View company

I love the subtle cocoa aroma of this tea. Black Dragon Pearl brews up strong but can be re-steeped (re-stept?) if needed. A pinch of sugar or Splenda, in my case, finishes this full-bodied flavor.

Very nice black tea – slightly malty and chocolaty. Reminds me a bit of Golden Monkey. Used 5 pearls in a 12 oz. cup and 2 steeps at about 3 1/2 and 5 minutes, water just off boiling.

Drank this tea for the morning cuppa and overbrewed it. Bitter.

Drank this twice today. Glad it picked me up.

It’s Monday morning and I am back to work after taking Thursday and Friday off. I knew this morning would require drastic measures to get back into the flow, so I reached for this Black Dragon Pearl tea that my lovely wife bought for me this weekend at the Teavana store.

The sales pitch was that this selection is stronger than your average black tea. I planned to save it for those mornings when I needed shock treatment to return to the land of the living. And here we are.

When I opened the container, a slightly more powerful than usual tea smell shot out from the rolled dark tea balls inside. I had high hopes that the taste would follow suit.

I steeped the “pearls” (I used 10 for two cups of tea) for four minutes at 195 degrees as instructed. The brewed color was a muddy gold. The aroma was richly tea-like.

The flavor was like a potent English or Irish Breakfast tea. However, the taste was a little sweeter and more focused than those blended varieties. My first few sips also contained some bite which I initially thought was astringency. However, this was soon overpowered by the more robust black tea taste.

My head started to clear during my first cup which is always a positive sign for me. As I began my second cup, the well established flavor on my palate began to seem smoother and sweeter. The pseudo-astringent bite had all but disappeared. The sweetness began to identify itself as brown sugar. Also, the Yunnan flavor attributes emerged. The aftertaste did not have any bitterness.

All in all, I found this to be a very pleasant morning tea after the first few sips. I’ll determine how powerful it was at quitting time today when I measure my production for the day.

This Tea is a great Black Tea, It offers a earl grey feel, but is completely different and strong in its own way. furthermore this tea brews well and if you let it sit for a good 4-5 min then it will be dark enough to have a full body and with one sweetener and then iced it is perfect.

Flavors: Cedar, Earth, Scotch

190 °F / 87 °C 4 min, 45 sec 1 tsp

A decent tea. The pearls are pleasant to look at. There are a lot of golden buds peeking out of there, and I like that. The flavor, for a Chinese black tea, was rather thin and bland, but with at least a prominent flavor nonetheless. The aroma is delicious. At this price, though? I’ve had much better Chinese black teas at a much cheaper price.

Smooth, dark black tea. Pleasant cocoa notes. My favorite full bodied black tea with no bitter tones.

While I don’t care for their marketing, the tea itself is quite good. I could tell they were not used to customers who want black tea with no flavorings with it.

Good leaves, lots of nice flavor. An excellent tea for work as the pearls make it easy to dish out into my steeping mug.