Black Dragon Pearl

Chocolate, Malt, Cocoa, Molasses, Honey, Smooth, Cacao, Earth, Scotch, Cedar
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Sabrael D. Carroll

From Teavana

This fragrant and rare hand-rolled tippy black tea from the Yunnan province unfurls to release a smooth-bodied taste with sweet, chocolaty, and malty undertones. Good for multiple infusions. This is a perfect morning and afternoon tea.

How to Prepare
Use 1 teaspoon of tea per 8 ounces of water. Heat water to just before boiling (195 degrees) and steep for 3-4 minutes. 2oz of tea equals 25-30 teaspoons.

Ingredients:
Hand-rolled, pure black tea.

About Teavana View company

Going through my tea log, I was surprised to see that I hadn’t rated this tea, considering it was one of my first from Teavana.

This is magical stuff, warm rich cocoa tones balanced out by grainy, malty notes with the slightest hint of something woodsy. Had to get an Yixing pot just for this bad boy.; I thought it that good!

4 pearls is plenty for my pot and lasts through a fair amount of infusions, 5-6 pot-fulls… and I still have about 35 pearls left from my order last year!

Only real downside is the outrageous price. When I run out, I might try a less expensive option, but I’d imagine I’ll always have some black dragon pearls in my cupboard at all times.

So, I love this tea but, what I’m actually excited about is. … I’m getting my first yixing pot today! How cool is that! I’m pumped.

Anyways. SIPDOWN
beautifully hand spun pearls create an interesting amalgam of gold and deep brown. Smells like a bold Yunnan black tea, which makes sense it is…
Nice deep dark chocolate dust aroma.
During the steeping I get the fall smell of wet fall leaves.
Tasting: smooth soothing flavor with nice cocoa undertones. I also find a natural sweetness like honey as well. I love this tea and with the caffeine kick it has, I love all morning.
Something else, I have a lot of this tea… ALOT ALOT so if anyone is interested in a swap for it please let me know.

Flavors: Cacao

Lion

Wooo! Congrats on the yixing! I ordered my first one just a week or so ago so I’m in the same boat of excitement. Can’t wait for it to arrive!

Steven Cook

Very cool man _ I’ll post a picture shortly.

It’s Monday morning and I am back to work after taking Thursday and Friday off. I knew this morning would require drastic measures to get back into the flow, so I reached for this Black Dragon Pearl tea that my lovely wife bought for me this weekend at the Teavana store.

The sales pitch was that this selection is stronger than your average black tea. I planned to save it for those mornings when I needed shock treatment to return to the land of the living. And here we are.

When I opened the container, a slightly more powerful than usual tea smell shot out from the rolled dark tea balls inside. I had high hopes that the taste would follow suit.

I steeped the “pearls” (I used 10 for two cups of tea) for four minutes at 195 degrees as instructed. The brewed color was a muddy gold. The aroma was richly tea-like.

The flavor was like a potent English or Irish Breakfast tea. However, the taste was a little sweeter and more focused than those blended varieties. My first few sips also contained some bite which I initially thought was astringency. However, this was soon overpowered by the more robust black tea taste.

My head started to clear during my first cup which is always a positive sign for me. As I began my second cup, the well established flavor on my palate began to seem smoother and sweeter. The pseudo-astringent bite had all but disappeared. The sweetness began to identify itself as brown sugar. Also, the Yunnan flavor attributes emerged. The aftertaste did not have any bitterness.

All in all, I found this to be a very pleasant morning tea after the first few sips. I’ll determine how powerful it was at quitting time today when I measure my production for the day.

This Tea is a great Black Tea, It offers a earl grey feel, but is completely different and strong in its own way. furthermore this tea brews well and if you let it sit for a good 4-5 min then it will be dark enough to have a full body and with one sweetener and then iced it is perfect.

Flavors: Cedar, Earth, Scotch

190 °F / 87 °C 4 min, 45 sec 1 tsp

A decent tea. The pearls are pleasant to look at. There are a lot of golden buds peeking out of there, and I like that. The flavor, for a Chinese black tea, was rather thin and bland, but with at least a prominent flavor nonetheless. The aroma is delicious. At this price, though? I’ve had much better Chinese black teas at a much cheaper price.

Smooth, dark black tea. Pleasant cocoa notes. My favorite full bodied black tea with no bitter tones.

While I don’t care for their marketing, the tea itself is quite good. I could tell they were not used to customers who want black tea with no flavorings with it.

Good leaves, lots of nice flavor. An excellent tea for work as the pearls make it easy to dish out into my steeping mug.

picked up this tea at a Teavana store while at a conference in Pheonix! I was so excited to go to a teavana store (all of my stuff had been online sans store in my area). These were great to travel with toss a couple in a baggie in your purse or bag. No mess, no spillage. Great flavor and a good morning pick me up! Would buy again. I didn’t think they got too bitter and I have one of those mugs from Teas etc. that you add the loose leave and drink from the strainer at the top. Causes some over steeping but I don’t mind a somewhat strong brew!

Went crazy today…bought some organic honey at the Des Moines Farmer’s Market this weekend and added it to my steep for the first time every. I like the juxtaposition of the strong, semi-bitter black with the intense sugar of the honey