Samurai Chai Maté

Chai Green Rooibos Yerba maté Blend
Anise, Artificial Flavouring, Candied Papaya, Candied Pinapple, Cardamon, Cinnamon, Coriander, Green Rooibos, Green Yerba Mate, Lemongrass, Orange Peels
Orange Zest, Peppercorn, Cinnamon, Clove, Fruity, Smooth, Spicy, Sweet, Apple, Ginger, Spices, Wood, Cardamon, Floral
Bulk, Loose Leaf
Low
Edit tea info Last updated by Michelle Szetela

2 Images

• “Thanks to *Madeline Alyce* for sending me a sample of this tea! I've been curious to try a few mates in the morning in hopes that they may WAKE ME UP! This reminds me a lot of Teavana's white...” Read full tasting note
    amyoh2 2542 tasting notes
  • “Pushing the rating up a bit. I think this is what lets the Masala I blend it with really shine...like a good coat of light primer to layer darker shades of paint on top of. On a related note...” Read full tasting note
    sophistre 158 tasting notes
  • “So this is the fourth and final tea from the gift pack I first talked about in this note: http://steepster.com/clareborn/posts/184829 Today is an important day; it's Swedish Cinnamon Roll Day!...” Read full tasting note
    annapocalyptic 300 tasting notes
  • “i'm addicted to the scent of this after a steep! couldn't put the teapot down...and i wouldnt have if i didnt have to pour out the pot of MateVana (steeped them at the same time for...” Read full tasting note
    yssah 89 tasting notes

From Teavana

The way of the warrior is strength, skill, fairness, mercy, power, energy and balance. Our chai embodies this spirit with an invigorating green mate and green rooibos blend. Cinnamon, anise and cardamom blend with papaya, pineapple, orange and lemongrass – a combination to face every new day samurai-style.

Sweet and spicy infusion of cinnamon and citrus undertones with papaya.

About Teavana View company

I love spice teas with lots of cinnamon so for me, this tea is great. I always want a sample of it when I go buy the store. Usually my friends/family take my second to third steeps of it because they want less of the spices. I never have problems with the first steep with the strong flavored spices.

I may be partial because this is the first loose leaf I tried that I truely fell in love with, but as of right now this is my favorite tea. Its super easy to drink and blends amazingly with most anything else. My favorite are the Golden Monkey (the mix is 50/50 and i’ve named it Samurai Monkey, great mental image) and the Zingiber Ginger Coconut. I haven’t tried it with any non Teavana teas yet as I didn’t have anything til a few days ago. I greatly recommend this tea to anyone who likes Chai.

190 °F / 87 °C 8 min or more

I mixed Maharaja Chai Oolong (Teavana) with this.
It’s soooo good! It’s one of my favorite teas!
I always have it in the morning before work and it keeps me hyped and ready for the day. It really does wake you up. And it smells so good~
Taste like cinnamon and delicious goodness!

This in my opinion, should be tried at least ONCE. Favorite tea from Teavana thus far!

Okay, so this time I mixed it with heavy cream and milk – so much better! I will never drink chai again without milk. Still not completely amazed by this tea, but it’s decent if done right.

Being originally from Argentina, and growing up drinking mate, I was very curious when this tea arrived in a tin next to a teapot as a holiday gift from my cohort.

Compared to traditional mate it is a completely different experience. It is a little sweet and spicy (like cinnamon) and I do get the slight tongue numbing feeling others have mentioned.

The mate of my childhood is much stronger and less complex in flavor.

Overall I enjoy it. However, I am just getting into loose tea and have a world of tea to explore, so I might not come back to this one for a while.

Another “meh.” Promising aroma from the dry leaves — a nice spiciness — that just doesn’t match up when steeped. Overwhelmed by the cinnamon in this one. With some balance, it could be better.

I love this tea enough to eat it after I brew and drink it. I can let it sit for hours and get a great taste, I can fall asleep and wake up with the strong scent of cinnamon. Great drink.

I’m new to tea, and this is half of the blend that my local Teavana puts out to sample in the front of their store. That blend is Samurai Chai Mate + Majaraja Chai. I have that blend and love it, but this morning I tried just the Samurai Chai Mate.

Overall, I think its very good. The blend seems a bit sweeter (I believe they add German Rock Sugar to it), so having this tea on its own really lets the subtleness of the spices come out. Unlike others here, I didn’t find the cinnamon to be too overpowering. Its a great tasting, slightly complex blend of flavors that I think will be a great tea for cold winter mornings.

This is a really nice chai tea. It has a slight spice, nothing like the other overwhelming chais that I’ve tried. Honestly, this is more of a tea to drink without food since I haven’t found any food so far that goes with it. Also, if you have a caffeine sensitivity, I’d stay away from this tea (it’s been known to give headaches)

Not bad… not knock-my-socks-off, but for a windy Saturday morning on the high desert when I’m trying to work up the steam to keep up with two toddler boys, it’ll do. This is my first mate/caffeine tea in a while, and I’m enjoying the little buzz. ;-)