Samurai Chai Mate

Chai Fruit Rooibos Yerba maté Blend
Cinnamon, Orange Zest
Edit tea info Last updated by TheKesser

• “Thanks to *Madeline Alyce* for sending me a sample of this tea! I've been curious to try a few mates in the morning in hopes that they may WAKE ME UP! This reminds me a lot of Teavana's white...” Read full tasting note
    amyoh2 2170 tasting notes
  • “Pushing the rating up a bit. I think this is what lets the Masala I blend it with really shine...like a good coat of light primer to layer darker shades of paint on top of. On a related note...” Read full tasting note
    sophistre 158 tasting notes
  • “So this is the fourth and final tea from the gift pack I first talked about in this note: http://steepster.com/clareborn/posts/184829 Today is an important day; it's Swedish Cinnamon Roll Day!...” Read full tasting note
    clareborn 263 tasting notes
  • “i'm addicted to the scent of this after a steep! couldn't put the teapot down...and i wouldnt have if i didnt have to pour out the pot of MateVana (steeped them at the same time for...” Read full tasting note
    yssah 89 tasting notes

From Teavana

A sip of this sweetly robust straight up Mate blend awakens the Samurai within. Inspired by the Way of the Warrior, this fresh green Mate is imbued with strong spices, invigorating herbs and revitalizing citrus. A wonderful cup of tea that will get you moving!

How to Prepare
Use 1.5 teaspoons of tea per 8 ounces of water. Heat water to just boiling, 208 degrees, and steep tea for 5-6 minutes. 2oz of tea equals 25-30 teaspoons.

Ingredients:
Green mate, green rooibos, cinnamon, candied pineapple pieces, candied papaya pieces, orange peels, lemongrass, anise seed, coriander, cardamom, flavoring (cardamom, cinnamon), and almond flakes PRODUCT CONTAINS NUTS

About Teavana View company

Another “meh.” Promising aroma from the dry leaves — a nice spiciness — that just doesn’t match up when steeped. Overwhelmed by the cinnamon in this one. With some balance, it could be better.

I love this tea enough to eat it after I brew and drink it. I can let it sit for hours and get a great taste, I can fall asleep and wake up with the strong scent of cinnamon. Great drink.

I’m new to tea, and this is half of the blend that my local Teavana puts out to sample in the front of their store. That blend is Samurai Chai Mate + Majaraja Chai. I have that blend and love it, but this morning I tried just the Samurai Chai Mate.

Overall, I think its very good. The blend seems a bit sweeter (I believe they add German Rock Sugar to it), so having this tea on its own really lets the subtleness of the spices come out. Unlike others here, I didn’t find the cinnamon to be too overpowering. Its a great tasting, slightly complex blend of flavors that I think will be a great tea for cold winter mornings.

This is a really nice chai tea. It has a slight spice, nothing like the other overwhelming chais that I’ve tried. Honestly, this is more of a tea to drink without food since I haven’t found any food so far that goes with it. Also, if you have a caffeine sensitivity, I’d stay away from this tea (it’s been known to give headaches)

Not bad… not knock-my-socks-off, but for a windy Saturday morning on the high desert when I’m trying to work up the steam to keep up with two toddler boys, it’ll do. This is my first mate/caffeine tea in a while, and I’m enjoying the little buzz. ;-)

My God, I just had this tea today after trying the blend of it and the Maharaja Chai Oolong, at Teavana and I have to say, I was completely hooked. Seeing as I have the Maharaja at home, I wanted to complete and perhaps get a chance to even blend this tea myself.
Though the smell is rather…interesting and strong when you first take a whiff, in the cup it is spicy (just enough though) and wonderfully tangy. It leaves a pleasurable finish on your palette though. Seriously liking it right now, and it’s great you can steep it more than once. It is a bit odd with sugar/sweetner in it (when it’s unblended) and I dunno, I would even stay away from the sweet.

Had this at a friends place. It was good,but he served it with milk. Never really looked into mate chai teas…i’m used to having my tea without milk. But all in all;I feel it might have been better without milk.

I simply can’t get enough of this tea. I love the spicier notes of the tea. Plus, it keeps me awake! I love blending it with Maharaja Chai Oolong. This is a tea I could never grow out of drinking.

Brilliant! I do use a little more than recommended though, I like a strong tea :) The smell alone is enough to convince anyone I think.

Big fan of this. Finally a Chai I can drink every day. I am not always a fan of how “herby” maté can be on it’s own, and you can hardly taste that in this. However, I live in Canada, so I can only get on hands on it when in the states.
Steep time is important to make sure the spice notes really develop in the tea.