Samurai Chai Mate

Chai Fruit Rooibos Yerba maté Blend
Cinnamon, Orange Zest
Edit tea info Last updated by TheKesser

• “Thanks to *Madeline Alyce* for sending me a sample of this tea! I've been curious to try a few mates in the morning in hopes that they may WAKE ME UP! This reminds me a lot of Teavana's white...” Read full tasting note
    amyoh2 2169 tasting notes
  • “Pushing the rating up a bit. I think this is what lets the Masala I blend it with really shine...like a good coat of light primer to layer darker shades of paint on top of. On a related note...” Read full tasting note
    sophistre 158 tasting notes
  • “So this is the fourth and final tea from the gift pack I first talked about in this note: http://steepster.com/clareborn/posts/184829 Today is an important day; it's Swedish Cinnamon Roll Day!...” Read full tasting note
    clareborn 258 tasting notes
  • “i'm addicted to the scent of this after a steep! couldn't put the teapot down...and i wouldnt have if i didnt have to pour out the pot of MateVana (steeped them at the same time for...” Read full tasting note
    yssah 89 tasting notes

From Teavana

A sip of this sweetly robust straight up Mate blend awakens the Samurai within. Inspired by the Way of the Warrior, this fresh green Mate is imbued with strong spices, invigorating herbs and revitalizing citrus. A wonderful cup of tea that will get you moving!

How to Prepare
Use 1.5 teaspoons of tea per 8 ounces of water. Heat water to just boiling, 208 degrees, and steep tea for 5-6 minutes. 2oz of tea equals 25-30 teaspoons.

Ingredients:
Green mate, green rooibos, cinnamon, candied pineapple pieces, candied papaya pieces, orange peels, lemongrass, anise seed, coriander, cardamom, flavoring (cardamom, cinnamon), and almond flakes PRODUCT CONTAINS NUTS

About Teavana View company

This tea is amazing. SOOO good! The way I brew it is different than the directions though because when I followed the directions I found that it was very weak and light and I could barely taste it. So I put the water AND the tea in the tea kettle on high heat, then when it comes to a boil it’s done. It comes out nice and flavorful that way. I also use way more tea than it says to for that amount water. :-) I like to sweeten it with either the rock sugar or raw natural sugar.

Good bold flavor that lingers on the tongue. Great spice flavor that doesn’t overpwer the mate. Fantastic mouthfeel for a mate, no tannin mouthfeel at all. Fantastic to blend with lighter teas.

sixsummit

Thank you for your kind comments. Green Mate is the hardest herbal tea to make delicious. It is a result of 11 years of trial and error. Glad you like it. Raspberry Lemonade Mate was 2009 launch, a fruity version. Matevana and My Morning Mate are toasted versions. Nancy/Teavana New Tea Development

Let me first say that I love chai, love it. This one, for me, tastes overly sweet. So much so that I almost offered to trade the whole 8 ounces for something different. But before I did, I went and blended it with some of teavana’s Sweet Oolong Revolution (which I was also on the fence about). Alone, neither of these teas did it for me. But together…. it is the gestalt of teas. They blend so well together that I will probably never drink them apart again…

Energy in cinnamon! Samurai were robust yet delicate warriors that could just as easily clip the branch of a bonsai as slice a man’s head off. This brew is no different. There is strength beneath the layers of cinnamon (perhaps too may layers and is one of the few things that brings this review down) which is no doubt the matte giving the whole thing an immense base. But if not for the slight high levels of spice this would be a perfect perfect cup. I give it an 80 (hoping the scale will reflect that).

Samurai Chai Matte only loses points in cinnamon and that it is offered by the rather high-priced-Starbucks-owned Teavana.

Can’t wait to try it with rum!

Wonderful, wonderful tea for the mornings before a test! I bought 2 ounces of samurai chai mate to taste during Teavana’s winter sale and fell in love at first brew. I asked for something that was fruity and would give a similar kick like coffee and voila, this did the trick. It has become like a exam ritual for me to drink this and I will definitely go back and buy more.

Very yummy when paired with something that drowns down the initial kick.

I bought this mainly for my husband he likes this tea every time he drinks the sample outside the store. I think this is one of their most balanced teas. I taste cinnamon the most but I can taste the pinapple and the spices just as well. A very nice tea. I’m not big on spice teas but it is still very nice for winter.

First off, let me say that I am a complete tea noob. I have had several grocery store teabags before, but this is my first venture into loose leaf… never going back! I absolutely love this tea. True, I haven’t tried much yet, but this had a great flavor, and gives me the energy I need when I don’t feel like having coffee. I’m certain that this will be one that I always have on hand.

Love it. Sweet, nutty, spicy, fresh, with an energy boost! After My Morning Mate, this is my favorite mate from Teavana. With Teavana’s prices being a bit steep, this isn’t something that I would probably repurchase but it was good to have a couple ounces of it to try out.

If you’re a big chai fan or you like spicy teas, this is great for you. I learn more towards savory chocolately teas, but this is decent nonetheless.

One thing that made this Chai tea different from a lot of other chai’s I have had is the subtle flavor of it. A lot of the time chai teas have very strong and robust flavors; due to the black tea base and heavy use of strong spices like. However, this one being a mate’ and green rooibos gave a lighter and smoother flavor. The spices used add a nice flavor and zing, and the citrus flavors added a nice tangy flavor without being overpowering. I will say though that i don’t taste the pineapple and almonds much though.

Overall I would say that if you are looking for a light citrus chai tea, this is the one for you…