Samurai Chai Maté

Chai Green Rooibos Yerba maté Blend
Anise, Artificial Flavouring, Candied Papaya, Candied Pinapple, Cardamon, Cinnamon, Coriander, Green Rooibos, Green Yerba Mate, Lemongrass, Orange Peels
Cinnamon, Coffee, Smooth, Sugar, Sweet, Lemongrass, Orange, Coriander, Orange Zest, Peppercorn, Clove, Fruity, Spicy, Apple, Ginger, Spices, Wood, Cardamon, Floral
Bulk, Loose Leaf
Low
Edit tea info Last updated by Michelle Szetela

2 Images

• “Thanks to Madeline Alyce for sending me a sample of this tea! I’ve been curious to try a few mates in the morning in hopes that they may Read full tasting note
    amyoh2 2760 tasting notes
  • “Pushing the rating up a bit. I think this is what lets the Masala I blend it with really shine…like a good coat of light primer to layer darker shades of paint on top of. On a related note...” Read full tasting note
    sophistre 158 tasting notes
  • “So this is the fourth and final tea from the gift pack I first talked about in this note: http://steepster.com/clareborn/posts/184829 Today is an important day; it’s Swedish Cinnamon Roll...” Read full tasting note
    annapocalyptic 302 tasting notes
  • “i’m addicted to the scent of this after a steep! couldn’t put the teapot down…and i wouldnt have if i didnt have to pour out the pot of MateVana (steeped them at the same time for...” Read full tasting note
    yssah 89 tasting notes

From Teavana

The way of the warrior is strength, skill, fairness, mercy, power, energy and balance. Our chai embodies this spirit with an invigorating green mate and green rooibos blend. Cinnamon, anise and cardamom blend with papaya, pineapple, orange and lemongrass – a combination to face every new day samurai-style.

Sweet and spicy infusion of cinnamon and citrus undertones with papaya.

About Teavana View company

PTS TTB

Eh, I don’t know how I feel about this, lots of cinnamon followed by lots of fruity makes a weird combination to me.

Horrendously offensive name aside, this is a pretty good tea. (I mean, what were they thinking? Japanese Samurai did not drink Argentinian herbal tea flavored like the national drink of India.) it has a decently balanced flavor, and the tannins of the mate never get in the way of the citrus notes or the spice. It’s a pretty good alternative to traditional chai; it keeps it’s fresh, bright taste, while still being full-bodied.

Flavors: Orange Zest, Peppercorn

2 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML

This is a delicious chai! It’s super smooth and warm and has a lot of natural sweetness. I enjoy it both with and without milk. The spices are definitely present, but it’s not the tongue-numbing spiciness that I’ve found in Teavana’s newer chais. It’s also highly caffeinated, so it’s a great wake-me-up tea!

Flavors: Cinnamon, Clove, Fruity, Smooth, Spicy, Sweet

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

My older brother and I tried this together, we both really enjoyed it! The Chai taste of spices, ginger, and cinnamon blended well with the Mate. It’s such a wonderful blend that you barely need any sweetener! A really, really tasty potpourri, reminds me a little bit of Christmas and a lot of camping in the woods =)

Very energizing too- not bouncing-off-the-walls energy, but a good, more natural pick-me-up for the afternoon.

—loose tea w/ infuser
—1 or 2 sugar cubes

Flavors: Apple, Cinnamon, Ginger, Spices, Spicy, Wood

Boiling 5 min, 30 sec 4 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML

I was a bit unsure about this tea when I bought it; I know I’ve had matés before but I had ambivalent experiences previously. This particular maté smelled lovely – slightly grassy, with cinnamon and floral overtones. Once brewed, this particular maté has a lovely cinnamony, spiced flavor, with very faint anise (licorice) and floral aromas. I had mine with honey, with added a nice depth to the predominant cinnamon and spiced flavors. I would order this again.

Flavors: Cardamon, Cinnamon, Floral, Spices, Spicy

Boiling 6 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

This tea is definitely worth a try, but is not a favorite of mine. I received a free sample of this, and it smells enticing. The taste is similar to the smell: very fresh with fruit hints but without an overpowering ‘tropical’ palette. The chai flavors (cinnamon, anise, clove, etc.) are weak but do round out the tea. Steeps evenly with nice aromas.

2 tsp 10 OZ / 295 ML

I don’t know whether I love or hate this tea – it has a lingering sweetness to it that its at the back of my tongue when I’m drinking it…but it has such a good chai flavor and spiciness to it…. I think this is one that I am going to save and drink hot when I’m in the mood for chai; it seems like it would be a better hot tea.

Boiling 7 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

This tea was sort of an impulse buy.

Like most Teavana teas it smells excellent, but also like most Teavana teas the taste doesn’t match the aroma. Not to say it’s bad and especially with the german rock sugar. Yeah, I bought some rock sugar to try out and the sugar is pleasant like most sugar is.

I can taste the pineapple and orange abet not that much, but that’s the only flavors I can discern. I almost want to get this tea again to try it more.

A bit heavy on the cinnamon, but I really enjoyed this tea and it was my daily go to for the first week I had it!

First ever rating! Little nervous but jumping in with both feet…

This tea was a gift. I had been eyeballing it for a while, but wouldn’t make the leap so my friend did it for me. It’s scent in the bag was very nice. Very spicy and warm. Initial sip, however, struck me as slightly bitter. A mild sweetness overrode the bitterness a bit as I continued, but something felt missing. The cinnamon was extremely prominent and even slightly biting as I swallowed. Possibly the most curious thing about this tea was it’s after effect – a slight numbing sensation, not unlike a very mild analgesic throat spray.

I don’t think I’d recommend this tea without fair warning. I will likely taste again a couple times. Maybe a second or third visit will yield different results?

Flavors: Cinnamon, Orange Zest