My Morning Mate

Yerba maté Tea
Chocolate, Coffee, Spicy, Sweet, Caramel, Cocoa, Wood, Cinnamon, Roasted, Dust, Honey, Dark Bittersweet, Nuts, Orange Zest
Edit tea info Last updated by Russ Goerend

• “Oh. My. Gosh. This is SO good! Even better than I remember! It’s so chocolatey and sweet, but it’s got some zingy quality I can’t quite put my finger on. Too tired to say much...” Read full tasting note
    Aeoliana 324 tasting notes
  • “This came in a swap from Ze_Teamaker – thank you for the generous sample! I really needed a kick start this morning; of course that’s how I feel every morning because I normally...” Read full tasting note
    amyoh2 2792 tasting notes
  • “I have some leftover of this tea from a tea trade – I let my roommate try some of this tea. He’s the one who drink coffee thats insanely strong, and also best friend of my husband, this...” Read full tasting note
    awkwardsoul 1136 tasting notes
  • “Yummmm I am so in love with this first thing in the morning. I need to restock my stash of it in my office (from my 2 lb supply at home…). However, I am in somewhat of a tea rut. I am...” Read full tasting note
    Jaxx2307 158 tasting notes

From Teavana

Kick the coffee habit with an invigorating blend of Mate, Yunnan black tea, chocolate, nuts and a touch of spice. This tea will get your morning started with a delectable energy boost! Also known as The Coffee Kicker. Note: this tea contains nuts.

About Teavana View company

I haven’t been terribly impressed with Teavana teas,
the ones I’ve tried have been just okay or too over the top. I very much like this tea! Yummy! It’s very smooth, sweet and has a pleasant flavor. I’m glad I gave Teavana another chance. Delicious!

Amount: 4 scoops
Additives: 3 german rock sugar
Water: 1 teapot, boiling
Steep Time: a little over 5:55 minutes
Served: Hot

Notes: We put in too much sugar and know it, but MilitiaJim was making it and wanted sugar for breakfast, next time less. We mention chocolate a lot and it is a flavor but not a predominant one.

Smell: chocolaty, nutty, complex
AmazonV Flavor: sweet, smooth, spiced black tea
Militiajim Flavor: mainly a black tea, followed by a generic nut and some chocolate.
Body: light
Aftertaste: sweet, nutty, hint of spice

I smelled the leaves at Teavana and decided to give it a try. First, WARNING: DO NOT OVERSTEEP, 4 MINUTES MAX! This is a strong tea by itself, there is a black tea taste with the hint of chocolate and a spiced aftertaste. Second, the tea is good hot and decent cold, but I have to suggest sweetening it (sugar, artificial, whatever you want) because it can be bitter if oversteeped.

I did brew a pitcher of this iced and kept it in the fridge for the warmer mornings when I didn’t want hot tea before work, as long as it is mixed well (as in fully incorporate the tea on the bottom and the sugar) it is decent cold. However, I think since it gets stronger the longer it steeps, it is probably better to try the tea hot before you commit to it.

Overall worth a try.

Tasty, spicy, and sweet. I’ve had this mix twice now, and it is quite a pleasure to drink as a pick-me-up.

Although, I’ll admit… MateVana is preferred over it. MateVana handles subtlety better, whereas in this it’s come across as watery. Perhaps I just have to steep more. I realize this is not uncommon for Teavana brews to need a lot to get a tasty desired result.

Flavors: Chocolate, Coffee, Spicy, Sweet

In my continued efforts to find the missing element to this tea, I added a teaspoon of honey to it. The sweetness tasted more or less the same as that of the demerara sugar. I think the flavor profile of this tea is strong enough to cover up the nuances of different sweeteners and only the general increased sweetness comes through. So I still think it’s better off without any sweeteners or milk. This time, though, I did steep it for longer, and found the roasted and cinnamon flavors much more pronounced.

Flavors: Cinnamon, Roasted

Boiling 6 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

Not a fan of this one! Nothing about it tastes like Mate. I do like whatever else Teavanna puts in there though, the syrupy sweet, caramel coffee flavor is very reminiscent of a caramel macchiato. It’s one of the few teas I will put cream into. For a quick steep-and-go in my French press this morning, it’ll do.

Flavors: Caramel, Dust, Honey, Roasted

205 °F / 96 °C 5 g 16 OZ / 473 ML

My Morning Maté tastes less like the traditional cup of tea and more like…well, coffee, without the bitterness! The blend contains Mate tea, Rooibos tea, black tea, cocoa kernels, carob bits, chocolate chips, orange peels, almonds, cactus blossoms, coriander, pistachio nuts, cracknel bits, red pepper, cornflowers, safflowers, and sunflower petals. Are you drooling yet?

It has a nutty flavor, and initially this made me nervous. I don’t actually like nuts, but they weren’t overwhelming in this cuppa. I’d say they were actually pleasant. And the addition of chocolate is not lost on my taste buds. I’d like to play around with this tea, which is not something I often do. When it comes to both tea and coffee, I refuse to add milk or sugar. But, I think a dribble of honey or some rock sugar would make this tea even better.

Ooops! I just realized that I’m drinking My Morning Mate at 8:15 p.m. It’s really good but I think I could be in trouble. :/

Uh oh!!! You may be in for a long night!!!

Hide in an IHOP. They serve breakfast all day, so it’s not like they’d mind…

Tea #9 from Traveling Tea Box C Round 2
So to be honest, I’m pretty against most Teavana teas. I don’t care for the tea themselves since they’re usually very little actual tea, filled with fillers and sugars and whatnot. Not to mention their sales practices are usually pretty deplorable.
But this was in the box and I figured what the hell. It certaintly smelled good. Kinda nutty, chocolaty, roasty.
While brewing I got a very similar to coffee smell, which nearly made me pour it out since I detest coffee. But I let it steep and after letting it sit a few minutes, the coffee smell mostly dissipated to more acceptable level (almost nonexistent). Not I get sort of a chocolaty, nuttyish, orangy(?) sort of smell. Taste wise I get a watery chocolate with a strange overnote of something. Probly the mate. And it’s vaguely coffee-esque. I guess all the nuts that’re supposed to be in here kinda give it a nuttyness, but it’s mostly watery chocolate with that strange overlay. Better with some truvia, which gives the chocolate a bit more ‘umph’.
Though it is better than any of the other Teavana teas I’ve tried, I’m still generally unimpressed. There’s other teas that I would rather spend the time and money on honestly. Though I’m glad I tried it since it was something different.

The body is very weak on this tea to me. The flavor is there, but it reminds me of a weaker chai tea. It’s certainly not bad, and for those who aren’t used to full-body chinese teas probably wouldn’t notice the lack of body here. The flavor is very clean and works well. It doesn’t stick to the back of the throat or anything.