My Morning Mate

Yerba maté Tea
Dark Bittersweet, Caramel, Cinnamon, Nuts, Orange Zest, Cocoa
Edit tea info Last updated by Russ Goerend

• “Oh. My. Gosh. This is SO good! Even better than I remember! It's so chocolatey and sweet, but it's got some zingy quality I can't quite put my finger on. Too tired to say much else right now....” Read full tasting note
    Aeoliana 288 tasting notes
  • “This came in a swap from Ze_Teamaker - thank you for the generous sample! I really needed a kick start this morning; of course that's how I feel every morning because I normally don't feel awake...” Read full tasting note
    amyoh2 2165 tasting notes
  • “I have some leftover of this tea from a tea trade - I let my roommate try some of this tea. He's the one who drink coffee thats insanely strong, and also best friend of my husband, this friend has...” Read full tasting note
    awkwardsoul 935 tasting notes
  • “Yummmm I am so in love with this first thing in the morning. I need to restock my stash of it in my office (from my 2 lb supply at home...). However, I am in somewhat of a tea rut. I am drinking...” Read full tasting note
    Jaxx2307 156 tasting notes

From Teavana

Kick the coffee habit with an invigorating blend of Mate, Yunnan black tea, chocolate, nuts and a touch of spice. This tea will get your morning started with a delectable energy boost! Also known as The Coffee Kicker. Note: this tea contains nuts.

About Teavana View company

This will certainly give you an energy boost! It has a very rich scent and pleasant taste to it. Nutty is the best way I can describe it. I’m not a coffee drinker, but out of all of the teas I’ve tried I’d say this comes closest to my imagining of it. I drink it with either a bit of German rock sugar or honey. Both are lovely!

I really enjoyed drinking this, it’s the perfect wake-up tea for me!

The taste profile of this tea is very similar to coffee, making this the perfect to tea drink when your trying to cut down or eliminate your coffee intake. I found the nutty flavour stood out the most with a hint of chocolate and cinnamon. I enjoy this tea without the sugar and cream associated with coffee, which makes this a much healthier choice.

A little bland for my liking, unless you use a ton. Overall it does have a nice flavor and it gives a decent energy boost, but I’d like something with a stronger taste for a morning tea.

200 °F / 93 °C 8 min or more

I’m on the fence about My Morning Mate.

I ordered 2oz of Earl Grey Creme one time, and it was fine until one day, I wanted to gag drinking it. When I tried My Morning Mate, it had this citrus note that reminded me of Earl Grey…I wanted to dump it but a friend of mine had gotten it for me as part of a Christmas present and I didn’t want to be a jerk.

That being said, I’ve gotten used to the flavor and will even crave it at times. I bounce between this and MateVana for my morning cup, but more often than not, I’ll lean towards MateVana.

I think many of the notes focus on the taste of this tea, which is satisfying, but Im not sure if some of the people have focused on the pharmacology of the tea. Specifically, yerba mate contains molecules which are energizing yet without the annoying feeling of coffee, and also helps your sleep quality improve. The black tea has theaflavins which energize mentally and help resist physical and mental stress. Additionally the black tea helps to alleviate possible colds during flu season by increasing the strength of T cells in the body. Lastly, I hypothesize that because the red rooibos added to this tea is a smooth muscle relaxant that the caffeine effect may be potentiated, in addition to the stress busting effects physically and mentally of red rooibos. So this tea has three different teas that benefit you mentally and physically, yet in different ways. I bought 2.2 lbs of this one when it was on sale on boxing day, a great price.

I was skeptical, cos the dry leaves had an overwhelming, cloying aroma — but once steeped, it’s a decent, nutty mate.

My favorite tea right now, have it every morning.

Had it with some milk, and I thought it was cute. I know that is a weird word to describe it, but I’m not sure what else to say. I could smell the chocolate and a little bit of citrus, but the taste was very very smooth. A substitution for coffee? No, not in my opinion.

I really like this mate! Nice chocolatey tone mixed well with other tea & spices. I love to mix this with other rooibos or black teas too.