Gyokuro Imperial

Bulk, Loose Leaf
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Steve

2 Images

• “SIPDOWN! Thanks to *Raritea* for this sample. Now i'm not huge fan of straight greens but this one is for sure one that I could keep around for when i'm in the mood for a straight green. ...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4041 tasting notes
  • “Thanks to *Raritea* for a sample of this one! Unfortunately, although I knowingly wrote 1 tsp on the bag, I clearly put 1.5 into it, so this is not yet a sipdown :( Ahhh, this is tasty. Vegetal...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 2221 tasting notes
  • “Loose Appearance: long fine leaf, dark forest green Aroma when Dry: buttery, smooth, sweet (eastern) After water is first poured: buttery, smooth, creamy, sweet (eastern) At end of first steep:...” Read full tasting note
    NatureDancer 189 tasting notes
  • “This poor tea... I killed it with both steeping time and hot water. My mom still loved it, but I thought it was too astringent for me. She said "it tastes like spinach water" and, as she is...” Read full tasting note
    kellyhinton 766 tasting notes

From Teavana

Rich, almost full-bodied, smooth taste with sweet ending & complex notes.

The finest of Japanese teas, Gyokuro bushes are covered for several weeks before harvest with bamboo or straw shades to increase the chlorophyll content of the leaves. The results of this transformation are the renowned dark green leaves with high concentrations of Antioxidants, vitamins and amino acids. Celebrated for its emerald green infusion and sweet aftertaste.

How to Prepare
Use 1 teaspoon of tea per 8oz of water. Heat water to 175 degrees (79 degrees Celsius) and steep for 45 seconds to 1 minute. For stronger flavor, use more tea leaves. 2oz of tea equals 25-30 teaspoons.

About Teavana View company

I’ve only had this tea prepared as per the recommendation of Teavana, which is steeped for 45 seconds in 175F water. After reading some of the reviews of other Steepsters, I think I’m going to try it for 2 minutes, especially in the morning as a replacement for my morning coffee.

Yes, when I first sampled this coffee, it definitely reminded me of fresh cut grass. I actually thought that was an indication of poor quality. But to the contrary, this tea has become my favorite green tea thus far. I’ve only had it by itself, but I think it would complement a dim sum dish very nicely.

It is pricey, but one of the more flavorful and authentic green teas that are available through the Teavana brand.

I’m rather new to the green tea scene, but I know that this tea blew me away. If brewed with care, this tea has this incredible vegetal taste that is not overpowering but actually pretty smooth. The leaves are this beautiful dark green color that leave the tea almost a vibrant greenish-yellow. It is good with rock sugar but I prefer it with Teavana’s Organic Volcano White Honey. I also like it hot or iced. I haven’t had the heart to try it blended with other types of tea since I enjoy it so much alone, but I bet it would make interesting blends. Despite the higher price tag, I’ve been able to re-use the tea 3 times, with later steeps tasting better than the first.

The aroma of the leaf in the tin is vegtal, but also rich, almost buttery. It yields a mild cup that is green, but not the professed emerald green on the label (which I have seen in other brands). It is gentle and grassy on the first infusion, and sweeter on the second.

The brewing instructions on my package called for 175 degrees for 30-45 seconds, however, I found the resulting infusion too weak, and increased the time to 90 seconds, which was sufficient without any trace of bitterness.

Zij-Ra

Buttery, yes! I was trying to think of how to describe that undertone.
Great review. :3

Hands down the best green tea I’ve had. Light and grassy and not at all bitter (as long as it gets only a quick steep, that is). I’m definitely partial to Japanese greens, but suspect this would be well liked by anyone who enjoys green tea in general.

I love the gentle taste of this tea. One of the best tasting teas I have had.

Best green tea I have ever tasted! This is naturally sweet with a great grassy bite to it and a smoothness that is just wonderful. The smell alone makes me happy! Absolutely a must for everyone. I find this tea usually makes people fall in love with the Japanese greens. Can be re-infused.

Pure, green tea taste.

I love drinking green tea straight. This is a new addition for me, as I’ve been drinking Jade Dragon Mao Feng Green Tea for the past couple of months, which is milder and better (to me) in taste. This one is a bit stronger in taste and color, but I love the health benefits of it and will continue to buy it.

Thanks to Tea Junkie for this sample. Love it… I desperately want more. one of the better green teas I’ve had.

Tea junkie

Glad to hear that. I myself love this Japanese tea. Best green tea there is to me. Let me know if you’d like any more.

This is a fairly old one that I received ages ago from Autumn Hearth I believe the name was. I have made a note of it, but she modified her name later on and now appears to not be around anymore.

I’m not certain about these recommendations. I’ve been told 30 seconds steeping and I’ve previously heard that with this type of green it’s important to brew the first steep rather coolly, so I went for the lowest setting on my kettle which was 60°C. I’m just not sure that’s warm enough and/or long enough. I mean, I know I’m used to black tea which is tastes far stronger than the average green, but even so. This tastes rather thin on these parameters. It doesn’t have a detectable aroma at all and the flavour is mostly a juicy, veg-y splash in some otherwise fairly lukewarm water. Husband thought it was rather nice, but I thought it was mostly just a cup of warm water.

Not impressed at this point, I decided to go for a second steep and make the water 70°C this time and I gave it 45 seconds. This time it has an aroma, although it’s not a very strong one. It smells like vegetable water, sort of, and with that ‘fat’ note that I associate with green tea. I can’t really explain that one, it just smells fat to me. If a smell could have a shape, that’s what it would be. It has also picked up a smidge of astringency right on the first sip, but other than that it’s still mainly a cup of warm water. That veg-y note is coming through after a while though. It’s a sort of building up note, and it takes half a small cup to get it in any noticable way. It’s mostly right as I swallow and as an aftertaste.

Hm. I don’t dare make the water any warmer, because I think it will probably definitely go all bitter if I do, and I don’t dare make the steeping time longer either for the same reason, so I think I’ve reached a dead end here.

I shan’t rate this because I honestly don’t know how to rate warm water… Honestly, I think the leaf was just too old.

__Morgana__

I have had good results with Gyokuro at 140 degrees F and 2 minute steeps.

Angrboda

I haven’t got any more leaf, so I can’t test that method.

__Morgana__

Next time. :-)

Angrboda

Might take a while. 99% of the green tea I drink is stuff that was shared with me. :)