Gyokuro Imperial

Green Tea
Green Tea Leaves
Astringent, Burnt, Butter, Grass, Hay, Straw, Sweet, warm grass, Vegetal, Dark Bittersweet
Bulk, Loose Leaf
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Steve

2 Images

From Teavana

Rich, almost full-bodied, smooth taste with sweet ending & complex notes.

The finest of Japanese teas, Gyokuro bushes are covered for several weeks before harvest with bamboo or straw shades to increase the chlorophyll content of the leaves. The results of this transformation are the renowned dark green leaves with high concentrations of Antioxidants, vitamins and amino acids. Celebrated for its emerald green infusion and sweet aftertaste.

How to Prepare
Use 1 teaspoon of tea per 8oz of water. Heat water to 175 degrees (79 degrees Celsius) and steep for 45 seconds to 1 minute. For stronger flavor, use more tea leaves. 2oz of tea equals 25-30 teaspoons.

About Teavana View company

I’ve only had this tea prepared as per the recommendation of Teavana, which is steeped for 45 seconds in 175F water. After reading some of the reviews of other Steepsters, I think I’m going to try it for 2 minutes, especially in the morning as a replacement for my morning coffee.

Yes, when I first sampled this coffee, it definitely reminded me of fresh cut grass. I actually thought that was an indication of poor quality. But to the contrary, this tea has become my favorite green tea thus far. I’ve only had it by itself, but I think it would complement a dim sum dish very nicely.

It is pricey, but one of the more flavorful and authentic green teas that are available through the Teavana brand.

I’m rather new to the green tea scene, but I know that this tea blew me away. If brewed with care, this tea has this incredible vegetal taste that is not overpowering but actually pretty smooth. The leaves are this beautiful dark green color that leave the tea almost a vibrant greenish-yellow. It is good with rock sugar but I prefer it with Teavana’s Organic Volcano White Honey. I also like it hot or iced. I haven’t had the heart to try it blended with other types of tea since I enjoy it so much alone, but I bet it would make interesting blends. Despite the higher price tag, I’ve been able to re-use the tea 3 times, with later steeps tasting better than the first.

The aroma of the leaf in the tin is vegtal, but also rich, almost buttery. It yields a mild cup that is green, but not the professed emerald green on the label (which I have seen in other brands). It is gentle and grassy on the first infusion, and sweeter on the second.

The brewing instructions on my package called for 175 degrees for 30-45 seconds, however, I found the resulting infusion too weak, and increased the time to 90 seconds, which was sufficient without any trace of bitterness.

Zij-Ra

Buttery, yes! I was trying to think of how to describe that undertone.
Great review. :3

Hands down the best green tea I’ve had. Light and grassy and not at all bitter (as long as it gets only a quick steep, that is). I’m definitely partial to Japanese greens, but suspect this would be well liked by anyone who enjoys green tea in general.

I love the gentle taste of this tea. One of the best tasting teas I have had.

Best green tea I have ever tasted! This is naturally sweet with a great grassy bite to it and a smoothness that is just wonderful. The smell alone makes me happy! Absolutely a must for everyone. I find this tea usually makes people fall in love with the Japanese greens. Can be re-infused.

So the wonderful thing about ambibeverageous is that being a Starbucks rewards member I can now get a free ounce of tea rather than a free coffee drink. It’s not just the bottom of the barrel tea either it’s any tea…so of course I went for the Gyokuro. Supposedly the most exquisite and finest quality tea right? First steep the pot is like neon yellow and the sediment left over is almost like matcha. The flavor is smooth and grassy. There isn’t much difference though between this and a really good Long Jing. Seriously the same flavor profile. The real test…ummm yeah this ones a two hump chump. Third steep the leaves couldn’t hack it. The pot was closer to a brown more than bright yellow, and this is doing 1 minute steeps like recommended. I’m sorry but if a tea is going cost that much you should at least get 3-4 good steeps out of the leaves.

gmathis

1,000 bonus points for “ambibeverageous!”

Nope. Nope. Blasphemy. Whole lot of hot nope in a cup.

If you know me, you know very well I firmly believe Teavana is Satan incarnate. Firstly, Senchas are some of my most precious and favorite teas, and I know very well, they can be difficult and quite tedious to make, and have quite the learning curve. But, for some reason, I don’t feel that Teavanas employees receive any training or gain any basic fundamental knowledge on tea. (When going into the store once I asked if they had any Pu’erh, and they asked is that a brand, and that isn’t a type of tea that exists.)

So regardless of my bias, this tea was terribly terribly made, (they asked if I wanted milk or honey in the tea, and I probably looked at the poor cashier like she asked if I wanted to buy drugs) and the quality of the leaves was nothing but subpar. The brew was too soupy, burnt, and tasted like it had been sitting in that tin for over a year, all the flavor had vanished and all that was left in my cup was the shell of it’s former self. I have had this actually at least twice, trying to give it another chance, but it generally tastes like this each time. The flavor isn’t there, it just tastes astringent.The water was far too hot for a japanese green, and there was far too much tea used. This tea was also brewed for probably at least two and a half minutes…. Do I need say more? I have a feeling that Teavana, adds flavoring to it’s tea as well, even the ones that seem to be just pure tea and aren’t a blend, to try and improve the falvor. Gyokuro is generally a very buttery, flowery umami sencha, this is something different. It tastes like tea powder from a bag of lipton tea.

Overall, don’t try this tea, and please don’t purchase from Teavana. I have plenty of reasons why, and really I only need one reason, and one reason alone why they are the devil.

That reason is: Oprah Chai

Flavors: Astringent, Burnt

Boiling 2 min, 45 sec 8 g 24 OZ / 709 ML

Alright, Green Tea #2 from Teavana’s Green Tea Essentials box set. Let’s see:

First: I used 2 tablespoons of leaves in my 32 ounce Bodum Assam teapot. After rinsing (every time!) I poured 180 degree water over the leaves and let them steep for 1 minute.

I was a little worried when I first opened the packet and saw the leaf quality. Lots of very small pieces and dust. The rinse was, well, it took a bit. The small leaves and dust immediately clogged up the holes in the tea diffuser, and I had to wait for it to drain through.

Fannings in a Teavana offering?

OK, I went with it anyway. When I finally managed to get all 32 ounces of water into the teapot and it drained through and evened out, the water color was a nice straw colored yellowish, somewhat foggy and translucent.

The smell, again much like the first sampling I had from this box set, was nice and clean, crisp, with hints of butter, wet grass, straw, and Earth. It could have had a little more presence, but it was good nonetheless.

The taste:

The initial tongue feel and taste has a bit of bitterness to it. The straw and grass taste hits you next, those two flavors being so dominant I did not sense any butter, and in the end you are left with a slightly bitter, almost tangy aftertaste.

Not a bad tea we have here. I would certainly buy this again in the future. Not the best green I have had, but certainly miles ahead of anything I have bought in a box from a grocery store.

Miles.

Ahead.

-E

Flavors: Butter, Grass, Hay, Straw

I figured it was a good day to break out a favorite. I like that this tea is sweet, but still has just enough grassiness. I have consumed about half of the 3 ounces I’ve purchased in the last month…I’ll try to stretch the rest out over a longer period of time.