Gyokuro Imperial

Bulk, Loose Leaf
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Steve

2 Images

• “SIPDOWN! Thanks to *Raritea* for this sample. Now i'm not huge fan of straight greens but this one is for sure one that I could keep around for when i'm in the mood for a straight green. ...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 5049 tasting notes
  • “Thanks to *Raritea* for a sample of this one! Unfortunately, although I knowingly wrote 1 tsp on the bag, I clearly put 1.5 into it, so this is not yet a sipdown :( Ahhh, this is tasty. Vegetal...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 2354 tasting notes
  • “Loose Appearance: long fine leaf, dark forest green Aroma when Dry: buttery, smooth, sweet (eastern) After water is first poured: buttery, smooth, creamy, sweet (eastern) At end of first steep:...” Read full tasting note
    NatureDancer 189 tasting notes
  • “This poor tea... I killed it with both steeping time and hot water. My mom still loved it, but I thought it was too astringent for me. She said "it tastes like spinach water" and, as she is...” Read full tasting note
    kellyhinton 790 tasting notes

From Teavana

Rich, almost full-bodied, smooth taste with sweet ending & complex notes.

The finest of Japanese teas, Gyokuro bushes are covered for several weeks before harvest with bamboo or straw shades to increase the chlorophyll content of the leaves. The results of this transformation are the renowned dark green leaves with high concentrations of Antioxidants, vitamins and amino acids. Celebrated for its emerald green infusion and sweet aftertaste.

How to Prepare
Use 1 teaspoon of tea per 8oz of water. Heat water to 175 degrees (79 degrees Celsius) and steep for 45 seconds to 1 minute. For stronger flavor, use more tea leaves. 2oz of tea equals 25-30 teaspoons.

About Teavana View company

Pure, green tea taste.

I love drinking green tea straight. This is a new addition for me, as I’ve been drinking Jade Dragon Mao Feng Green Tea for the past couple of months, which is milder and better (to me) in taste. This one is a bit stronger in taste and color, but I love the health benefits of it and will continue to buy it.

Thanks to Tea Junkie for this sample. Love it… I desperately want more. One of the better green teas I’ve had. I’m afraid that I greedily drank it all down without takign any notes..

Tea junkie

Glad to hear that. I myself love this Japanese tea. Best green tea there is to me. Let me know if you’d like any more.

This is a fairly old one that I received ages ago from Autumn Hearth I believe the name was. I have made a note of it, but she modified her name later on and now appears to not be around anymore.

I’m not certain about these recommendations. I’ve been told 30 seconds steeping and I’ve previously heard that with this type of green it’s important to brew the first steep rather coolly, so I went for the lowest setting on my kettle which was 60°C. I’m just not sure that’s warm enough and/or long enough. I mean, I know I’m used to black tea which is tastes far stronger than the average green, but even so. This tastes rather thin on these parameters. It doesn’t have a detectable aroma at all and the flavour is mostly a juicy, veg-y splash in some otherwise fairly lukewarm water. Husband thought it was rather nice, but I thought it was mostly just a cup of warm water.

Not impressed at this point, I decided to go for a second steep and make the water 70°C this time and I gave it 45 seconds. This time it has an aroma, although it’s not a very strong one. It smells like vegetable water, sort of, and with that ‘fat’ note that I associate with green tea. I can’t really explain that one, it just smells fat to me. If a smell could have a shape, that’s what it would be. It has also picked up a smidge of astringency right on the first sip, but other than that it’s still mainly a cup of warm water. That veg-y note is coming through after a while though. It’s a sort of building up note, and it takes half a small cup to get it in any noticable way. It’s mostly right as I swallow and as an aftertaste.

Hm. I don’t dare make the water any warmer, because I think it will probably definitely go all bitter if I do, and I don’t dare make the steeping time longer either for the same reason, so I think I’ve reached a dead end here.

I shan’t rate this because I honestly don’t know how to rate warm water… Honestly, I think the leaf was just too old.

__Morgana__

I have had good results with Gyokuro at 140 degrees F and 2 minute steeps.

Angrboda

I haven’t got any more leaf, so I can’t test that method.

__Morgana__

Next time. :-)

Angrboda

Might take a while. 99% of the green tea I drink is stuff that was shared with me. :)

1938 tasting notes

Tea #4 from Considering a new TTB
I’ve been wanting to try teavana’s higher end offerings and I’m pretty curious as to how this stacks up agains gyokuro from other companies. At 19.98 per 2oz it’s already nearly twice the price of the gyokuro I order from another company and didn’t resteep nearly as well, which in and of itself is a reason why I would be unlikely to purchase it. I did enjoy the flavor, it was mildly vegetal, slightly sweet, and a little buttery. I can see why it is offered by teavana, it’s the type of green tea that will appeal to many people because it lacks the overwhelming vegetal flavors of many other varieties, but I just can’t get past the price.

I’ll still stick to ordering from Yunomi for my gyokuro, but this is a tea I would pick up again if it were on sale.

Amanda 'SoggyEnderman' Wilson

ouch, that is pricey!

Short Sorceress

Gyokuro in general is pricey, some of the higher qualities run $15 or more per ounce, but absolutely worth it if you enjoy that type of tea. I just don’t think this particular gyokuro is worth $10 per ounce, that’s twice what the standard grade gyokuro from yunomi fetches and it resteeps much better.

Amanda 'SoggyEnderman' Wilson

Yep, and I love the standard Gyokuro from Yunomi, so it is worth if for me to get good Gyokuro for a steep price than just ‘eh’ Gyokuro.

This tea is great hot or iced. Be careful not to overstep it though.

Flavors: Dark Bittersweet, Grass

from The Traveling Tea Box

Maybe I should stick to blacks and pu’erhs in the morning. I’m just working my way through this enormous box and this highly vegetal green was next up. It’s a flash dried green..my least favorite..but good quality. Onto the next……

This is one of my go-to green teas. I’m often disappointed by Teavana, and for their price they don’t always deliver quality, but I make an exception for their Gyokuro Imperial. It’s strong, but the vegetal taste isn’t too overpowering or bitter.

Love this stuff. I’m a sucker for the in your face vegetal green teas and this is one of those. Love the smell. I can steep this stuff a good 3-5 times before it starts losing its taste.

Pretty good cup of tea…sweet and vegetal flavor, but I believe I might have steeped it a little long because there were hints of bitterness towards the middle and end. Still a really good tea. Need to try more variety though