Gyokuro Imperial

Green Tea
Green Tea Leaves
Smooth, Sweet, Vegetal, Astringent, Burnt, Butter, Grass, Hay, Straw, Sweet, warm grass, Dark Bittersweet
Bulk, Loose Leaf
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Steve

2 Images

From Teavana

Rich, almost full-bodied, smooth taste with sweet ending & complex notes.

The finest of Japanese teas, Gyokuro bushes are covered for several weeks before harvest with bamboo or straw shades to increase the chlorophyll content of the leaves. The results of this transformation are the renowned dark green leaves with high concentrations of Antioxidants, vitamins and amino acids. Celebrated for its emerald green infusion and sweet aftertaste.

How to Prepare
Use 1 teaspoon of tea per 8oz of water. Heat water to 175 degrees (79 degrees Celsius) and steep for 45 seconds to 1 minute. For stronger flavor, use more tea leaves. 2oz of tea equals 25-30 teaspoons.

About Teavana View company

I want to like this tea more. It has potential, but the flavors just aren’t well balanced. It’s not bad, really, but it just isn’t as good as it should be, or as good as Teavana says it is.

Long story short, it has a great flavor, but those flavors get lost among each other, and the end product is a bit bland and mixed.

Don’t get me wrong, this is better than most teas I’ve bought in boxes at grocery stores, but it is just not nearly up to par with the concept of high grade, quality loose leaf tea like Teavana wants to be.

I figured it was a good day to break out a favorite. I like that this tea is sweet, but still has just enough grassiness. I have consumed about half of the 3 ounces I’ve purchased in the last month…I’ll try to stretch the rest out over a longer period of time.

Tasting a few of my older teas today, to see if they’re still good… This was one of my first loose-leaf purchases, so it’s at least three years old. And it’s held up surprisingly well! The aroma is the same as when I bought it, a sweet grassy smell. Once steeped, this tea has a buttery smooth flavor, along with a soft vegetal aftertaste. This particular cup is really powdery and a little bitter, since I wasn’t as careful with the steeping as I should have been… I honestly didn’t expect it to still taste this good! It’s a nice straight green. Like a lot of Teavana’s teas, it’s too expensive/not quite special enough to me to justify buying it again. But I’ll certainly keep around what I have left.

I’ll start off by stating that I am of Japanese decent. That being said, this is by far the closest green tea I have had in America to the Japanese Green Tea that I love. The grassy aroma and soft buttery texture makes it a treat to be able to drink every day (I work at Teavana and get to drink every day). While it might appear that I am just advertising, this is truly a tea that I wish everybody would at least try. It is my absolute favorite Green Tea and possibly my favorite everyday tea. If you make at home, try using some distilled water rather than plain filtered water. The taste is much more accurate to true Japanese tea and the color is a distinct green as long as the temperature and time are also correct.

Flavors: Sweet, warm grass, Vegetal

So I’m not one for straight greens… Or greens at all really, but I do like this tea very much. Grassy, buttery and bold, this green is nice and forward with flavor. Now, I do work at teavana now, and though that is the case, I am not bias, having loved tea for before I worked there. If anyone wants me to review anything, please let me know^_^

I’m probably a bit biased, but this is my favorite tea ever. I love my black teas but this green tea takes the cake. Just taking a sniff of it, you know there’s something different about it. There’s almost a sweet fragrance to it unlike most green teas, and when brewed the taste isn’t too “strong” in terms of flavor wise (reminder: I take straight black teas). It does what it needs to do while tasting amazing. Will always recommend!

Pure, green tea taste.

I love drinking green tea straight. This is a new addition for me, as I’ve been drinking Jade Dragon Mao Feng Green Tea for the past couple of months, which is milder and better (to me) in taste. This one is a bit stronger in taste and color, but I love the health benefits of it and will continue to buy it.

Thanks to Tea Junkie for this sample. Love it… I desperately want more. One of the better green teas I’ve had. I’m afraid that I greedily drank it all down without takign any notes..

tea-junkie

Glad to hear that. I myself love this Japanese tea. Best green tea there is to me. Let me know if you’d like any more.

This is a fairly old one that I received ages ago from Autumn Hearth I believe the name was. I have made a note of it, but she modified her name later on and now appears to not be around anymore.

I’m not certain about these recommendations. I’ve been told 30 seconds steeping and I’ve previously heard that with this type of green it’s important to brew the first steep rather coolly, so I went for the lowest setting on my kettle which was 60°C. I’m just not sure that’s warm enough and/or long enough. I mean, I know I’m used to black tea which is tastes far stronger than the average green, but even so. This tastes rather thin on these parameters. It doesn’t have a detectable aroma at all and the flavour is mostly a juicy, veg-y splash in some otherwise fairly lukewarm water. Husband thought it was rather nice, but I thought it was mostly just a cup of warm water.

Not impressed at this point, I decided to go for a second steep and make the water 70°C this time and I gave it 45 seconds. This time it has an aroma, although it’s not a very strong one. It smells like vegetable water, sort of, and with that ‘fat’ note that I associate with green tea. I can’t really explain that one, it just smells fat to me. If a smell could have a shape, that’s what it would be. It has also picked up a smidge of astringency right on the first sip, but other than that it’s still mainly a cup of warm water. That veg-y note is coming through after a while though. It’s a sort of building up note, and it takes half a small cup to get it in any noticable way. It’s mostly right as I swallow and as an aftertaste.

Hm. I don’t dare make the water any warmer, because I think it will probably definitely go all bitter if I do, and I don’t dare make the steeping time longer either for the same reason, so I think I’ve reached a dead end here.

I shan’t rate this because I honestly don’t know how to rate warm water… Honestly, I think the leaf was just too old.

__Morgana__

I have had good results with Gyokuro at 140 degrees F and 2 minute steeps.

Angrboda

I haven’t got any more leaf, so I can’t test that method.

__Morgana__

Next time. :-)

Angrboda

Might take a while. 99% of the green tea I drink is stuff that was shared with me. :)