Gyokuro Imperial

Bulk, Loose Leaf
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Steve

2 Images

• “SIPDOWN! Thanks to *Raritea* for this sample. Now i'm not huge fan of straight greens but this one is for sure one that I could keep around for when i'm in the mood for a straight green. ...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4942 tasting notes
  • “Thanks to *Raritea* for a sample of this one! Unfortunately, although I knowingly wrote 1 tsp on the bag, I clearly put 1.5 into it, so this is not yet a sipdown :( Ahhh, this is tasty. Vegetal...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 2246 tasting notes
  • “Loose Appearance: long fine leaf, dark forest green Aroma when Dry: buttery, smooth, sweet (eastern) After water is first poured: buttery, smooth, creamy, sweet (eastern) At end of first steep:...” Read full tasting note
    NatureDancer 189 tasting notes
  • “This poor tea... I killed it with both steeping time and hot water. My mom still loved it, but I thought it was too astringent for me. She said "it tastes like spinach water" and, as she is...” Read full tasting note
    kellyhinton 779 tasting notes

From Teavana

Rich, almost full-bodied, smooth taste with sweet ending & complex notes.

The finest of Japanese teas, Gyokuro bushes are covered for several weeks before harvest with bamboo or straw shades to increase the chlorophyll content of the leaves. The results of this transformation are the renowned dark green leaves with high concentrations of Antioxidants, vitamins and amino acids. Celebrated for its emerald green infusion and sweet aftertaste.

How to Prepare
Use 1 teaspoon of tea per 8oz of water. Heat water to 175 degrees (79 degrees Celsius) and steep for 45 seconds to 1 minute. For stronger flavor, use more tea leaves. 2oz of tea equals 25-30 teaspoons.

About Teavana View company

I’m a green tea lover and this certainly has it’s own flavor. As others mentioned it’s “vegetabley” and “grassy”. I steeped too long first try and it was way too strong. Handles multiple steeps very well for me.

I haven’t had a green tea in a long time. this one has renewed my appeal to green tea. it’s subtle in it’s grassy taste which is usually a turnoff in other brands. it goes down very smooth with an almost buttery taste though without a whole lot of aftertaste. I find this to be a very solid green tea that I would probably buy again.

This is an exceptional tea , my favorite among straight green teas. Has a bold oceanic flavor with sweet aftertaste. Awesome for multiple infusions !

Love it! Holds up well for 3-4 steeps and has a really nice flavor.

The first time I tried it I steeped it for too long. And of course I could barely get it down. After properly steeping it, I’ve learned to love it. However, I’m more inclined to blend it with another tea than drinking it by itself.

A good solid Gyokuro. Not as good as some but it did fulfill the promise of that earthy green flavor I was looking for. I told them to steep it two mins though because they definitely under steep in my opinion which robs you of the full bodied pleasure of this tea. In a word, gyokuro tastes ‘healthy’ to me and I feel healthy after drinking it.

i tried steeping this tea with a cold 5 minute infusion first… interesting because after the first cold infusion you mainly get the grassy notes off the top of the tea, and because the leaves are slightly chilled it becomes harder to over steep it allowing more flavors to come through without bitterness in the later infusions..

over all very “dewy” almost get notes of melons or cantaloupe.

this is my go to morning tea.. it is amazing!

first cold infusion- 5 minutes
2nd hot 175 degrees- 25 seconds
3rd 35-45 seconds

“Green” is the first word that comes to mind. “Vegetative” if I’m feeling more academic. More than anything, I’m reminded of fresh cooked spinach, but not in a bad way, if that makes any sense.

If you like very intense green teas, this will be the tea for you.

When I decided to try Teavana teas for the first time, this was the one I decided to buy. Fortunately, I loved this tea (seeing as I foolishly bought it before tasting it or even knowing what to expect) and I could drink a pot at a time.
Some people complain that it’s bitter, but once you get used to the more leafy taste, it’s a delightful drink. It almost had a nutty undertone that really complimented it. I’m not exactly sure what temperature I set it to (since I don’t have anything to measure temperature with), but I would let the water cool for a minute or two before steeping the leaves. I wouldn’t leave the tea leaves in for more than 45 seconds, or else it may taste more bitter than desired.
Overall, though, I would recommend this tea to any green tea lovers!

Tea opens on the nose with cut grass and a hint of jasmine.
Grassy, herb notes on the palate with a strong yet not overpowering flavor. The first infusion for 45 sec (175F) results in no bitterness at all and a beautiful spring leaf green colour.
I am actually surprised this tea has such a low rating. It’s probably my favorite green from Teavana, and top 5 overall.