MateVana

Herbal Rooibos Yerba maté Blend
Edit tea info Last updated by LadyDanio

• “12 ounce hot spigot water in Kati http://amazonv.blogspot.com/2010/04/kati-review.html 5-7 min 5 min on http://steep.it/5%20minutes + walking back from hot water spigot 3 heaping...” Read full tasting note
    amazonv 702 tasting notes
  • “Today I'm going to use my brand spanking new gym membership for the first time, so I need a little kick to wake me up before I go. The other big project for the day is planning my itinerary for...” Read full tasting note
    shetheliving 355 tasting notes
  • “Have to be at the station this morning and have to take the kiddo back to her mother's after having a full week with her. *DOUBLE GRRRR!* Mmmm Tea roasty, chocolatey....back to work and stopping my...” Read full tasting note
    thedjbooth 349 tasting notes
  • “Backlog #3 Ok so I got a teensy bit outta control with the tea buying. but it was my first time at Teavana and I had to see what all the fuss was about! Folks here(at Steepster) love to hate and...” Read full tasting note
    indigobloom 1286 tasting notes

From Teavana

A deliciously smooth herbal tea that is perfect for coffee lovers. It does contain caffeine, but many people have a different reaction to this stimulant since it is blended with the other natural xanthines found in Mate (theophylline and theobromine). Together they create energy without jitteriness or addictive tendencies. This tea is also a wonderful diet tea, since it curbs hunger. MateVana does contain nuts.

As seen on “The Today Show.”

How to Prepare
Use 1.5 teaspoons of tea per 8oz of water. Heat water to boiling (208 degrees) and steep for 5-6 minutes. 2oz of tea equals 25-30 teaspoons.

Ingredients:
Roasted Mate leaves, cocoa kernels, rooibos tea, chocolate chips (sugar, cocoa mass, cocoa powder), flavoring, white cocoa butter splits (sugar, cocoa butter, dextrose), almonds, cactus blossoms, sunflower petals and cornflower petals.
This tea contains nuts.

About Teavana View company

12 ounce hot spigot water

in Kati http://amazonv.blogspot.com/2010/04/kati-review.html

5-7 min
5 min on http://steep.it/5%20minutes + walking back from hot water spigot

3 heaping tsp

nice dark color

nutty smell, nutty earthy taste

yum!

Rabs

Love the Kati pics! They make me really want one even more! :)

Today I’m going to use my brand spanking new gym membership for the first time, so I need a little kick to wake me up before I go.

The other big project for the day is planning my itinerary for my trip to Austin next weekend. Zhi Tea’s HQ is on my list (yay!) – anyone have any other places, tea or non-tea-related, to recommend?

Have to be at the station this morning and have to take the kiddo back to her mother’s after having a full week with her. DOUBLE GRRRR! Mmmm Tea roasty, chocolatey….back to work and stopping my whining.

gmathis

Sorry there’s a need to whine, and hope the mate is bucking you up a bit. Hope your kiddo time was good.

The DJBooth

It was great thank you.

Backlog #3
Ok so I got a teensy bit outta control with the tea buying. but it was my first time at Teavana and I had to see what all the fuss was about! Folks here(at Steepster) love to hate and hate to love this place.
I’ll admit, the prices were excessive (I bought this one because it was one of the two cheapest options they sell), but the staff were friendly, and not too pushy like I had expected! just a tad excited about tea, which I totally get ;)
As for the tea, well this is really nice. Moreso than I expected. Kindof chocolatey and nutty. I need to try it here in Toronto but I seem to have left this one in Florida, eek!
Well, it looks like I’ll be a slave to this establishment whenever I’m in town, as much as it pains the wallet…
gah, I so badly wanted to despise Teavana :P

Ninavampi

This one is great mixed with their chai/chai blend. It tastes just like cinnamon rolls!

There are a few things that I can’t stand about Teavana, but I do enjoy some of their teas! : ) Nothing wrong with that!

Indigobloom

hmmm, if I ever make it back there I’ll see about hooking up some chai with my matevana. Thanks for the tip!
hehe, nope nothing wrong at all, except for the ouch to my wallet! :p

Ninavampi

Yeah… My wallet isn’t too happy about it either!

ashmanra

Complain, I do, but sure I surely go in every time I am near one! I like to drool over all the tea ware and taste the samples!

TeaBrat

I’m kind of glad we don’t have one in San Francisco… :)

Indigobloom

I can see why you wouldn’t want one near you, and how going in every time you pass by would be irresistible. Sheesh, it’s a curse and a blessing!

Tina S.

Actually Amy, they are opening a Teavana soon in San Fran, my friend got an interview there. ;)

TeaBrat

Oh nooooo!

I stopped in at Teavana last night just to check out the mate’ types that I don’t have yet, and I got a whiff of this one. Mmmmm, cocoa. I picked up 2 oz. and had a nice cup this morning.

Before I rate the tea, I’m going to put on my tinfoil hat and sit on the grassy knoll and tell you my Teavana conspiracy theory. Now, I am pretty convinced that the Teavana employees know darn well what a 2 oz. scoop of tea looks like. Yet EVERY TIME I buy tea from them they put 2.8 oz. on the scale (which of course is almost a full oz. extra) and say, “Is 2.8 oz. OK?” “NO,” I always say, “2 oz.” They pour out a little bit. “2.6 oz.?” Me: “No, 2 oz.” They pour out a little more. “2.3 oz.?” Me, exasperated: “Fine!” I have a feeling they are trained to do this so that people who are not paying attention buy .8 oz. (almost a full oz.!) more than they asked for…it adds up, customer by customer! Am I crazy? Is it just me? Tell me your experiences!

So on to the tea. I drank it down pretty fast, which is a good sign. I am not a coffee fan, but I can see why they compare it to coffee a little bit. I get a roasted taste and an aftertaste that is reminiscent of coffee, but not in an offensive way. I definitely get a nice cocoa flavor without it seeming like a hot chocolate. It’s a good mate’ and I’ll gladly drink what I have. I’m going to reserve judgment on whether I’d buy more of it or not.

momo

It’s so weird to me when people have these Teavana stories because I’ve gone to the 3 closest stores to corporate and only once has someone poured me a bit more and it was just .2 oz more and that was fine with me because it was a tea I love anyway.

Lynxiebrat

LOL. Yeah my closest one has done that once or twice, but I don’t let that bother me. I just calmly tell them I want the standard 2 and no more.

Rachel Sincere

The funny thing was this time I was there with my sister and between us we had purchased three teas. And he did the exact same thing with all three teas! As if we wouldn’t notice. We both were laughing about it afterward.

Shadow Lion

They do this to me all the time at the Stamford or Trumbull Malls. I’m pretty sure it’s corporate policy, an upselling technique. I have yet to confirm this, but I’d be curious to find out.

Lynxiebrat

I would be willing to bet on that, Shadow Lion…and I rarely bet:)

I don’t love coffee or Teavana at all, but I was still excited to try this one for some reason. Probably because this tea smell so good! There is a wonderful smell of chocolate from the dry blend, and the tea has a hazelnut and cocoa aroma. The flavor is richly chocolate and nuts, with a strong coffee aftertaste. As it cools, it becomes less coffee-like and more hazelnut hot chocolate. It is like a mix between hot chocolate, coffee and tea. I like this despite the surprising similarity to coffee flavor, but I probably wouldn’t reach for it every day.

-Dry blend has a mixture of cocoa kernels, mate and rooibos with pieces of flavoring and long yellow petals.
-Dry leaves smell strongly of chocolate. Tea liquor aroma is of hazelnut and cocoa.
-Tea liquor is a cloudy medium brown color with an oily sheen on top.
-Rich chocolate and nutty flavor and finish. Strong coffee aftertaste.
-Best with milk and sweetener.
-Good tea. A smooth cup of nut, chocolate and coffee-like flavors.

Janefan

This is the “tea” that got my hubby, a coffee drinker, into tea! We still have a bag or 3 of it around here somewhere. You know how Teavana is…

Josie Jade

I was pleasantly surprised by this one! :)

Finally had a chance to try this. It has a roasted-chocolatey-cigar type smell.
For taste – a milky-woodsy-chocolate-type taste
It’s alright.
Good morning Cup!

rabbysmom

Did you think it tasted coffee like? That’s what I got out of it, but it may have been just me. Glad you got to try it!

Cofftea

I’d love a chocolatey coffee taste, but a chocolatey-cigar? Excuse me while I void my stomach lol :) Not my cuppa, but I get a kick out of reading what others like and don’t like :)

TeaEqualsBliss

@ Rabbysmom – YES! I thought it tasted like coffee! :P Not something I would by for myself but I am glad I tried it!
@ Cofftea – just a little bit cigar! LOL I think it was good for what it was supposed to be but not necessarily something I would choose for myself. Glad I tried it tho! :P

rabbysmom

Good- glad I’m not the only one! (I get a totally different flavor from Mighty Leaf’s Rainforest Mate) I think someone on here said their Raspberry Riot Lemon Mate is really good. May try that one soon.

Peggie Bennett

I got the same from my Chocolate Roasted Mate too. I love that cigar shop smell, but I am glad it doesn’t translate into the taste!

Another great day of tea prep. 3 heaping perfect teaspoons + 500 mL water makes for a rich, nutty, hot chocolate (with a touch of coffee) like brew. Better than with my old set up! Maybe because I’m not used to it, my chemistry finds mate very invigorating. You should see all the work I did today!

This was part of a gift I received from my brother last Christmas and evidently I forgot to log it until now.

Anyway I am not a big fan of mate and even less a fan of teavana but since I have it I might as well drink it, right?

So let’s see I steeped this in a mug for 6 minutes with boiling water and a t-sac. The flavor I’m getting is light chocolate and even lighter nuts. IMO this is kind of a weak blend even though I used over 1 tsb. of leaf. Might need to try even more leaf next time? I don’t know. This doesn’t remind me of coffee at all, perhaps some dirty ovaltine. Hopefully it wakes me up anyway!

Goodmorning!
Thanks so much to Erin for a sample of this! I’d been wanting to try this blend for a while. My boyfriend’s a really big fan of mate so he stole most of it to take to work. :P But I did reserve a small cup to review :)
Dry leaves smell like bran flakes. Steeped 1 1/2 tsp per cup at 205 for 6 minutes.
I have to say this isn’t the best mate I’ve had. It’s not bad, though. It’s smooth and decently roasty. But I’d like it more intense, and roasty-er. I am picking up on the hazelnut and chocolate, but it’s faint. It’s like I can taste a hint of Florence from Harney & Sons…which just makes me want some Florence. Which I’m out of, but WHICH Erin included, THANKS ERIN :D.
Basically it tastes like it smells: bran flakes. Cuppa cereal. I added a splash of coconut milk & brown sugar. Enjoyable, but not knocking my socks off. Glad I got to try it, but I don’t know if I’ll be purchasing it.

Erin Hurley

Oh yay! Your package arriiiiived! I haven’t had MateVana in ages, but bran flakes sounds about right. Let me know what dude thinks :3

Ashley Bain

as he was running out the door he said MMMMmmmm. So I think Davy likes. lol.

Cash & Chris

I’ve had my eye on this one for a while.. why are Teavana’s blends so damn expensive??