Organic White Peony (Bai Mu Dan) Tea

White Tea
Flowers, Honey, Peach, Sweet, Grass, Hay, Floral, Cut grass, Grain, Mineral, Straw, Cucumber
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

• “I went out to lunch and for tea with a friend today (blog post coming soon). The tea I choose was a raw pu-erh and it was fairly bitter for me. When I got home, I just felt like having...” Read full tasting note
    amyoh2 2469 tasting notes
  • “Thank you Teavivre for the sample! This tea was very relaxing today. I even found it evoked some vivid memories in my mind. I didn't find it as flavourful as other Bai Mu Dan's I've tried, but I...” Read full tasting note
    DaisyChubb 504 tasting notes
  • “Ok, time to try this one again. I'm still finding this pretty bitter, but I think I'm able to identify the taste a bit better. There are slight floral notes, and I want to say something verging...” Read full tasting note
    roswellstrange 2067 tasting notes
  • “Ah, white tea, my old nemesis. Hah, not really, but still, I haven't had a ton of luck with white teas in the past. Not that I have brewed white teas that I've actively disliked or couldn't finish...” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 1994 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Origin: Organically grown at Mt. Taimu in Fuding, Fujian, China

Ingredients: Made from one or two leaf buds covered with fine downy white hairs

Harvest time: March, 2011 (2012 New Version of this tea is available now, which is harvest on April 5 – April 10)

Taste: A delicate, slightly flowery, sweet, lingering taste

Brew: 2-3 teaspoons for 8oz of water. Brew at 194 ºF (90 ºC) for 1 to 2 minutes (exact time depends on your taste – a longer time will give the tea a stronger taste and color)

Health Benefits: White Peony tea undergoes minimal processing and so it retains all the antioxidants, vitamins and minerals that all white teas are renowned for.

Certifications: The particular Organic White Peony (Bai MuDan) tea that TeaVivre is selling, is guaranteed to be organically grown and produced, independently verified to meet USDA, EU, JAS organic certifications.

About Teavivre View company

I went out to lunch and for tea with a friend today (blog post coming soon).

The tea I choose was a raw pu-erh and it was fairly bitter for me. When I got home, I just felt like having something sweet and mellow. I steeped this with some dried pink rosebuds and it’s light and elegant, really what I wanted and needed for the afternoon. Of course this tea is also quite nice by itself.

Thank you Teavivre for the sample!

This tea was very relaxing today. I even found it evoked some vivid memories in my mind. I didn’t find it as flavourful as other Bai Mu Dan’s I’ve tried, but I did find it to be slightly sweet, floral and meditative. The texture was silky smooth and delicate, yet almost syrupy.

I got 3 steeps out of the leaves, and although the caffeine content is low, I do feel energized in a very relaxing way. Like I could do a craft. I’m going to do a craft!

I have a full review on the way, I’ll post the link in the comments below when it’s finished :)

TeaBrat

wow – you sure have been blogging a lot! My goal is once a week… lol

DaisyChubb

haha it is a lot! I’m just trying to get a base of stuff for people to read while I’m still unemployed – it’ll definitely cut down once a job comes my way!

DaisyChubb

oh PS I very much enjoy your blog on teatrade – pretty jealous of your proximity to so many different tea places :D I love the recent Vital Tea Leaf post, it made me laugh

TeaBrat

Thanks! I will try to keep it going but will have to find other things to write about once I run out of tea places to review. hee hee!

Kittenna

How… did I miss seeing the fact that your blog was up and running? Oh right, my brain’s been pretty sidetracked for a week now. Thanks for the link and therefore reminder, and also for the new source of reading material (right, like I needed more at 11:40pm after a day of driving and field work and three hours sleep :P)

Amariel

I think it was a teavivre day today! I had one and I saw at least one other tasting as well. :P

DaisyChubb

Nice haha! Happy Teavivre day!

2067 tasting notes

Ok, time to try this one again.

I’m still finding this pretty bitter, but I think I’m able to identify the taste a bit better. There are slight floral notes, and I want to say something verging on apricot or peach but just not quite getting there. It reminds me a lot of Ontario Ice Wine, but without the berry notes and with much more astringency.

The aftertaste isn’t sitting well with me at all, and I don’t think I can blame it on user error this time. I guess this is sort of a sip down then: I’ll be giving the last bit of this sample to Robyn.

TeaVivre

I’m sorry for this tea you tasted bitter. Would you please tell me the details about brewing? Such as the water temperature, how many tea leaves and water? Did you brewed this tea a little long?

Roswell Strange

I used 2 tsp. of tea for 6 oz. of water steeped in 88 degree celsius water for 1 minute. It did taste better than the first time I tried brewing it, but not by a lot.

TeaVivre

Thanks for your information. We have brewed this tea again with 3 tsp (about 2g), 175ML water steeped in 88 degree for 1m30s. But we didn’t taste bitter. So i wonder if this tea you have brewed was Organic White Peony (Bai Mu Dan) Tea? It will be appreciate you can send me the picture about this tea. By the way, have you eaten something before you drink this tea ( sometimes it will affect the taste)? And how to save this tea?

Look forward to your reply.

Roswell Strange

The tea is being kept in an airtight container, in a drawer so that it doesn’t have any light exposure. I’m unable to upload a picture because of the internet connectivity issues I’ve been having for the last few days, but the leaf I recieved in my sample packet looks practically identical to the leaf depicted on the Steepster page for this tea, so I’m pretty sure I am drinking the Organic white Peony. It’s possible that this tea just simply isn’t to my taste – I did compare it to another white tea (albeit a flavoured one) I own which I am also not too fond of (a tea called Ontario Ice Wine). The tea I compared it to uses Bai Mu Dan as the base tea. But I greatly appreciate the length you seem to have gone to in order to help me enjoy this tea as much as possible. I think, however, that I’m going to give the remainder of my sample to a friend who enjoys straight white teas more than I do; that way it will be better appreciated.

TeaVivre

Thanks for your information. I’m sorry our Organic White Peony (Bai Mu Dan) Tea is not your favorite tea. However, i also want to send you our fresh Organic White Peony (Bai MuDan) Tea as well as Organic Nonpareil Silver Needle White Tea (Bai Hao Yin Zhen). So you can try them and compare with the first Organic White Peony (Bai MuDan) Tea. Meanwhile, if you are interested in any kinds of tea sample, please don’t hesitate to tell me. I’m glad to provide for you.

If you want to try any kinds of tea sample, please don’t hesitate to send me your shipping address to: [email protected]

1994 tasting notes

Ah, white tea, my old nemesis. Hah, not really, but still, I haven’t had a ton of luck with white teas in the past. Not that I have brewed white teas that I’ve actively disliked or couldn’t finish the cup, but I have always been a bit disappointed. But this is a tea that a lot of people who say they have had problems with white teas have liked, so I am interested to try it.

To me the dry leaf smells a bit like alfalfa hay. The leaves are fluffy and I used about 2.5 perfect teaspoons in my 12oz cup, though of course the fluffy leaves mean probably less leaf ended up in there, but hopefully it was a decent amount. Steeped, the scent of the tea reminds me of fresh-cut grass, and a bit of cooked vegetables. This is definitely a smooth, relaxing, and pleasant tea. The flavors are light but distinct; a little grassy/hay-like, a tiny bit floral, and a very smooth mouthfeel. Am I a white tea convert? Maybe not quite, but at least now I “get” more of what it’s all about. Thanks again to Angel Chen & Teavivre for the sample! (Finally, one of my boxes of samples that I got over the last couple of months is all tasted! I am running far behind on trying my new teas…)

Finished up my sample from my first round of Teavivre samples. I was craving something light and iced but still wholesome, and this is perfect. I’m really starting to get a taste for iced white and oolong teas. Working with Teavivre’s instructions has really refined my preparation, and taught me that I was overdoing it with the heat and time before.

1940 tasting notes

I’ve spent a good part of today organizing my tea, even though I have a ton of other work that I should be doing (I am a master procrastinator!) According my cupboard I have 336 teas, but realistically it’s probably closer to 350; I’ve been really bad about updating it when I get review samples. As soon as I’m done traveling for the summer, which should be next week, I’m going to start working on getting the number down to a more reasonable number (maybe 200?) While I was organizing I came across a stray sample of Organic White Peony that Angel sent me. I originally reviewed it a year ago and it was just as enjoyable today as it was when I first reviewed it.

I’m going to give this one another go at a later date, as I got thoroughly distracted during the tasting of this one, generously supplied to me by Teavivre.

That said, I did enjoy my little pot of this. I broke in the Alice in Wonderland pot I’ve had for a few months now , it’s perfect for a nice relaxing day of sipping tea.

I wanted to try it straight at first, but because I am so used to drinking sweetened teas (I can count on one hand the number of teas I don’t add sugar to), the flavor profile was overwhelmed by, well, tea. It tasted like tea, but I couldn’t identify more than that.

Then I added a touch of sugar and wow! The flavors exploded. I tasted the fruity/floral beauty that is this tea. it was sweet and delicate, but there is definitely a lot going on with this gorgeous little tea.

I’m on the fence about this tea. I enjoy it, but I don’t know if I enjoy it enough to restock when we place our Teavivre order. Maybe I’ll know after my next cup.

I used one package of leaves (2-3 tsp) for one pot (18 oz)

TeaBrat

I’m sorry you broke your teapot. I hate it when things like that happen.

aisling of tea

Oh, no no no, it didn’t break, I broke it in, aka used it for the first time.

oh, excellent!!! :)

I don’t tend to be too fond of flowery teas, but this organic Bai Mu Dan is only very slightly floral. In fact, the liquor is so smooth and delicate that I find myself working overtime trying to identify the flavor elements. BUT then I remember to relax and surrender to the tea. Yeeessss… there’s a sweet, fruity essence that lingers on my pallet. What a lovely, delicate, floral, fruity, and smooth cuppa.

I gravitate toward black teas most of the time but I made this for my husband tonight and decided to re-visit it. It has a delicate, creamy, sweet flavor-a nice change of pace for me.

LOL! I accidentally put this review under the Organic Silver Needle White Tea instead, which just underlines the fact that I’m so not ready for this. Hahaha. Oy. Here it is:
-—————————-

I drank this.

I don’t think I was ready for it though. I will keep my last two samples for later in the future when I might (hopefully) be able to appreciate all the subtle nuances of a fine tea such as this. I really didn’t get much flavour out of it.

I’m not going to rate it because I don’t think it would be a fair rating.

Big thanks again to Teavivre for the awesome samples!

(90 degrees for a min or two, I forget)

Froogle_jimmy

This tea is awesome. Just got 100g of it. I thought white tea was more weak and subtle….I didnt find it with this one at all. how long and what temp did you steep it?

whatshesaid

As per their directions! I need more flavour for myself, just didn’t cut it for my tastes.
Maybe if I’d started off drinking straight tea, but I’ve been spoiled by flavoured ones for years.